SV650 2nd gear trouble

My SV650S stead has treated me gracefully since I bought it new in July 05 soon after passing my test. We have made it through the wobbly stall-tastic early days, have completed a couple of bum-numbing trips to my Newcaslte motherland and more generally, my daily commute.

However I have noticed that it “falls out” of second gear every now and again, i.e. it pops out of 2nd and into neutral with neutral light coming. At first I thought it was just me being typically moronic and not putting it in gear properly but having made concerted efforts to change up firmly I really dont think its me (honest guv’). I have also noticed that it occurs under acceleration or after I have been accelerating and have just backed off the gas a little.

My Ninja riding grease-monkey friend and I did at one point remove the gear leaver and cleaned out the crud which did briefly give a more decisive feel to the gear change but no real improvement. I therefore put it to you Londonbikers to answer the question: Is this is a Suzuki problem, an SV thing, or <gulp> am I just a moron who cant change gear properly?

Any advice/mockery is most welcome. :slight_smile:

Chris

I can’t remember off the top of my head,but if the SV has a gear linkage rod, this may need tightening. The clutch may need adjusting too. Failing that you could well be looking at a worn gear selector dog:crazy:

Why not pop onto our Newbie Section and say hello properly?:cool:

As an owner of a SV650 I’ve had this trouble too, it happens occassionally, but I’m usually at the wrong speed for that gear.

:blush:

Seemed to happen on the thundercats as well…Solution was to rotate the gear lever round a notch or two on the cog, and therefore allowing for more descisive gear changes…Might be worth a pop, although Chunks has most of them above…

My SV never ‘pops’ out of gear? i sometimes hit neutral instead if second gear:crazy:

i think they do have a gear linkage rod chunks, sure they do.

sometimes when i go down a gear quickly, it revs to the redline and cuts out, no idea why it does that?? but it don’t happen often.:smiley:

lol i have never seen you get ya bike past 2nd gear:P

you cheeky c…:smiley: dropped anyones bike lately:P:D:D:w00t: i need some repairs done i hear youve had some practice:D:P

once you convert your sv to the way i want it, then i’ll stunt it 4 ya

My engine used to do that occasionally and it was a combination of bendy shift rods and worn shift fork.

Cool, cheers people - so I can officially ride propery after all. OK I’m off to write myself out a certificate! :slight_smile:

Chris