Suggestion Box

You could call it “Easyrider’s Temple of Doom”:smiley:

I know that when someone posts a new topic that it shows their user name, is it also possible that it can show in the same box, the date of the original post?

How about an iPhone icon? At the moment, it appears as a thumbnail of the webpage on my iPhone home screen, but it’d be cool if there was a proper icon.

It just needs to be a 158x158 pixel image, and the phone puts the reflective effect on itself.

Here’s a link if it’s any help :slight_smile:

http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/2008/01/pimp-your-websi.html

I don’t know about anyone else but I’m getting a bit fed up with the ‘spam’ posts that seem to be taking over the site at the moment. Some are quite amusing…Boris…Kate etc. but is there any way that a warning message could come up when a newbie registers saying something to the effect that newbies should post first in the newbie section…and if they don’t do this they have to re-register. Likewise, commenting on ancient threads. Okay, some people aren’t too bright and might not have noticed the date at the top :hehe: but why can’t those ‘pizza deliverers’ be restricted to replying to recent threads…until they have been members of the site for a while perhaps. As for the multiple bike parking, bus lanes and yes diesel threads- is there any tech way of ‘quarantining’ threads with certain words in them so a mod can check them before they’re ‘released’ onto the site. :slight_smile:

Thanks for highlighting this.

We’ve been looking (and dealing) with a number of these posts of late and I think your post highlights that whilst it’s great to promote a cause or issue that affects us as bikers not everyone wants to see it splashed across the forums.

We’re looking at ways of dealing with this influx whilst at the same time promoting the important issues and providing a place for a discussion and once we’ve agreed how that will best be achieved we’ll let people know, however you won’t have to long to wait.

:slight_smile:

How about a ‘Campaigns’ section of the forum - where they’re all kept together?

Anyone who wants to post in there would have to get their thread approved by the moderators first, and any posted in the ‘General’ section could be moved there?

+1 to a section called “Campaigns” or “Politics” or somethign similar. But a big thumbs down to moderator approval. A Campaigns section would be really useful not just for single issue politics but also for things like MAG-London.

There’s a difficult line to walk here. Things like Kill Spills, Bus Lanes, Congestion Charge, WCC Parking Tax, Theft and Security are absolutely on topic and not spam because they are about Motorcycles and about owning and riding them in London. As such, people want to talk about them here. Arguably they are a lot more on topic than a considerable number of threads in General that just say “Look, Snow!” or “Look at my Meercat”. But at the same time the people who feel passionate about a particular issue have a tendency to go over the top and post more often or start more threads than are really warranted. If they had their own place then they would get a bit less publicity but the moderators would have an easy solution to the occasional misguided post in General. This would make a lot more sense than dropping them into Classified Ads » Anything Else because that’s really not the place either.

The reason for not requiring moderator approval to post in Campaigns is that these issues need discussion. Its not just advertising. If the only posts allowed are “Event Announcements” nobody will read it and the value is lost.

While we’re on this subject, why is “Thefts & Secure Bike Parking in Westminster” pinned in General? Isn’t this sending the message that political subjects are ok in General? If that post is ok, why are other issue posts like bus lanes or WCC parking tax not ok? If there were a Campaign section, then this thread could be pinned there. But it seems a bit hypocritical to pin that one and at the same time complain about political spam.

Any news on the charity work everybody spoke about a while back?

An iPhone app would be nice (facebook style) :wink:

Guys I’ve noticed that the Events calender never gets used and just shows the BMM. Could we update it with track days, weekend meets (e.g. BCR), foreign trips, theme nights at Ace, bike shows etc … Because right now it’s a redundant resource. Obviously it should only be editted by our trusted Mods to make sure its not abused.

I think it would be a simple task to undertake and maintain daily.

I will take that as a no then…

Sorry Dan, I missed this as I was on my hols:cool:yes there is a lot going on as far as charity work.You’re probably aware that we raised quite a bit of money for LAA at the Summer BBQ and at the Xmas Bash. There were a couple of rideouts last year that raide a bit too.This year we have several events planned which we hope will swell the LAA coffers including an LB Dyno/Setup Day, an LB Airsoft Raid and a couple of BBQ type events.Look forward to your support:)

We’ve not had the people-power until now to properly maintain the calendars, though we have just enlisted Westie, but we need to get him up to speed to kick things off. As usual, it’s an issue of time needed on my part to go through things.

You wouldn’t believe how many things there are to do and how little time to do them in.

The confusing issue is that there are two calendars on LB. if you look at the one linked to the forum (at the top of this page) you will see LB Trackdays and other planned events on it:cool:

You’re so clever chunky, obviously we just need the events calender to be the same as the forum calender without the birthdays .

Thats the hard bit;):smiley:

Not knocking your charity efforts mate, the suggestion was for a sticky post or section on the site dedicated to charity efforts. Perhaps listing ways to get involved, how much has been raised so far this year, next event, when it will be handed over etc. Otherwise it is a case of out of sight and out of mind. Remember the amount of new folks too, they will have no idea that LB do anything for charity or how they can get involved.

I think the plan that was hatched after all the problems re charity donations before should be used. Keep people up to date on a regular basis then they don’t need to be asking the questions.

I know manpower may be mentioned again but I am sure someone can manage a post a week the dedicated thread :wink:

Edited to say I know we have a thread so why not use it for the reasons stated above? :ermm:

Don’t forget that there is a dedicated sticky for this very thing.

http://londonbikers.com/forums/Topic321086-91-1.aspx

As soon as we get all the Xmas Auction monies in, i’m sure it will be updated:)

Pm sent mate.