Sudden loss of power on motorway.

So there I was, travelling home up the M20 after a few good days in France on the toy.  Travelling up the M20, intending to take the next exit to Maidstone services for motion lotion, in top gear, and unexpectedly, the revs shoot up.  A quick look at the dash tells me that I’m in 6th gear still, so I thought it had slipped into a false neutral between 5th and 6th.  I clicked down one to 5th, and as I rolled the throttle on, the revs immediately buzzed up again.  I checked my mirrors, moved left, all the time trying the next gear down, to the same result.  I thought either the clutch had failed or the chain had come off.  I managed to make it up the exit to the top of the slipped road near Maidstone services.  After checking the toy, it was indeed missing the chain.  I got recovery back home, in reasonable time.  The weather was good, I was not cold, and I count myself truly blessed, that the chain simply came off, with no apparent damage to the bike or me.  I literally said a prayer of thank to God, as that could have been much more dramatic.

Anyway, my question to you guys; Should I consider buying a chain that has a clip or only get one that needs to be riveted?  I don’t have a rivet thingymabob, so the means I can’t deal with it.  If the latter, would any of you be willing to come to my pad in Edmonton to fix a new chain & sprocket set to my toy, and if so, how much you charge me.  I’m available Monday to Thursday during the day up to 3pm and in the evenings from 8pm, and all day Friday and Saturday.  I only have basic tools.  

You need a riveted or continuous chain AFAIK for a bike with any sort of power. I’ve done it before and its pretty easy with the right tools. Glad there was no damage when the chain came off! :)

1. they don’t make chains for your bike with a split link.

2. get the tool to do it yourself, it’s cheaper than taking it to a mechanic.

3. at the start, I thought this was going to be a spooky coincidence of yours and Ian’s zx10’s having the same problem. 

4. welcome back! how was France?

Welcome back from France…

I’m just going to go ahead and ask what everyone is wandering… Are you going to make a warranty claim about this?

guffaws

Welcome back from France...

I’m just going to go ahead and ask what everyone is wandering… Are you going to make a warranty claim about this?

Changyammi
Bitch, no!

Rivet every time. I’ve lost a chain before, nearly killed me as it locked up my rear wheel and also ate through the frame of the bike like it were butter. That bike had 5hp! I’ve seen holes punched in engine cases too.

Order the rivet tool online, it’s really not rocket science, just a larger version of a bicycle one. Essentially clamps onto the chain and you screw in a pin to flatten out the rivet.

I still don’t really understand why there’s no big-bike chains with clips, but I guess it’s probably because it’s not that hard to do the riveting, the tool’s not that expensive and it’s also not hilariously expensive to take to a bike shop.

As with anything pressy or extracty, if you do buy one then get a good one. Cheaper ones do a worse job and have a habit of breaking. Also, bear in mind that there is for some reason such a thing as a motorbike chain splitter, which is only good for removing chains, not fitting them.

I used to do the chains & sprockets myself now I get FWR to do it as they dont charge that much more than what I could buy it for

& I get to keep my hands clean

Hah, yeah, when I went back to chains I resolved to not fit them myself. It takes too long to get away from that “did I do that right? Am I about to lose a calf?” feeling otherwise…

I changed a few chains and never had any problems with them failing

You just accept it and move on? :slight_smile:

But, yeah, it’s not because a chain’s exploded that I’m reticent, it’s because I’m never really sure if I’ve done it quite right and so there’s just nagging doubt for a good while after I’ve fitted it. The cost and the frequency means it’s really not that expensive to have someone else do it, especially if you’re already in the habit of paying people to do other work for you.

it used to be the case for me that the only time I could get a mechanic to do work was leave the bike with them for a week or on a saturday. 

I just squeezed the rivet until it was about the same profile height as the ones next to it. 

So where did the chain end up?!  I hope you didn’t blissfully unawares leave a huge pile up in your tracks as the chain went flying into the screen of some HGV causing the driver to lose control, snake across the lanes, sending cars flying in all directions before finally grinding to a halt and building up a monster pile up.

I can only assume it was discarded on the highway.  

1. they don't make chains for your bike with a split link.
  1. get the tool to do it yourself, it’s cheaper than taking it to a mechanic.

2. at the start, I thought this was going to be a spooky coincidence of yours and Ian’s zx10’s having the same problem. 

3. welcome back! how was France?

me_groovy
1. Goddit.
  1. Hmmm, not sure.  I’d rather pay someone to come around and do it for me.

2. Guess not then.

3. Thank you.  Lovely.  Some excellent mountain roads and some very rough and bumpy one too, with the final day on the Folembray circuit.

3. at the start, I thought this was going to be a spooky coincidence of yours and Ian's zx10's having the same problem.  me_groovy
Thankfully not.

Aceman -

(a) Glad you made it out the other side unscathed.

(b) I’ve a chain tool if you wish to borrow.

3. at the start, I thought this was going to be a spooky coincidence of yours and Ian's zx10's having the same problem.  me_groovy
Thankfully not.

Aceman -

(a) Glad you made it out the other side unscathed.

(b) I’ve a chain tool if you wish to borrow.

IanWilliamson
(a) Me too.

(b) Yes please. Will text you later.

Ian is going to be lending me a chain tool, when he finds it.  Thank you Ian.

Looked online, using my mobile, for chain and sprocket set for my toy, and got a cracking price of £83.04 from Demon Tweeks.  Called the company up as I could not find the price of delivery, and the gentleman I spoke to said he’d throw that in for free, and confirmed it was an X-ring Did chain with with gold coloured links.  It’ll be delivered tomorrow.  Terrific.

I’ll be looking at Youtube videos for instruction on how to do do this now. 

Ian is ging to be lending me a chain tool, when he finds it.  Thank you Ian.

Looked online, using my mobile, for chain and sprocket set for my toy, and got a cracking price of £83.04 from Demon Tweeks.  Called the company up as I could not find the price of delivery, and the gentleman I spoke to said he’d throw that in for free, and confirmed it was an X-ring Did chain with with gold coloured links.  It’ll be delivered tomorrow.  Terrific.

I’ll be looking at Youtube videos for instruction on how to do do this now. 

Aceman
the other thing is have you got the large socket for the front sprocket