SUBCULTURES

I’d like to talk to anyone who regards themselves and their bike as part of a biking subsect or subculture, like in the thread description. Anything not mainstream. This is research for a piece I’m doing for BIKE ( I get dragged in when things get a bit boring and predictable, apparently. I did the JOYRIDERS piece in December.) Its ironic that at a time when there are such great bikes around, some of the rougher edges and outsider aspects have been lost. Or have they? If you know different, I’m listening.

I’ve already covered a fair bit but need more on the grime thing (about the relationship between black music/culture and R1s) in particular. Long time since I’ve seen you all, doing the rounds on a ZRX 1200 at the mo - used to live near the Scrubs and go down the Ace on a red Tuono. That was before the Max Power contingent weighed in… anyway thanks for having a look.

Hello I am a Scrubber, well the Little one.

I consider myself a subculture of one. I do not have any tatoo’s, facial hair or a shaved head and prefer to ride alone.

My name’s Chunky and I’m an FWB;):smiley:

A bloke at work calls me a FWB too, but he is talking about a fat white boy:D

I qualify on both counts:P:D

Can I be a half member then? :stuck_out_tongue:

grime…i listen to grime a bit, wouldnt really class my self as being involved in it as a subculture tho, i was in to graffiti big time when i was younger, that was a subculture to me because i lived it, totally immersed in it.

there is a connection i suppose between urban music and bikes, you only have to look at the states and hip-hop/ruff rydesr conection and such liek to see that.

it is intresting, i was down ace a couple of weeks back, and there was a group of young guys with R1’s and Gixxas etc they looked to me at least, like the type of guys you wanna talk to :slight_smile:

i’m a burned out raver. dunno what they call that. and i don’t really care. have the english always been so keen on pigeon holing things? i remember first i knew of it was when people started coming out with ridiculous terminology for dance music in the early-mid 90s. i personally think it’s the first step to segregation. maybe something created by the government. divide and conquer?

when will we realise we’re all just part of one big family eh??? :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/v/ZhcOD85EfsU&rel=1

Reckon your are right there adrock, one of the strengths of LB is it’s diversity and all-round nature of just being ‘a bunch of good people’ noones really trying to change the world or be radical, we just enjoy riding bikes!!

exactly. i’m glad i read this post because it reminded me of how much i hate the mainstream media.

I’m part of the wild, mean, lock up your daughters, maxi-scooter posse massive, innit :smiley:

Born to be mild. Eat my Euro 3 compliant emissions :):slight_smile:

Ha ha:D:P Like it.

So do I. Thats why I do what I do. But if you don’t like the mainstream media, you wont change anything by simply moaning about it. My perception is that biking has become simply another consumer choice. I want to find out if this is an accurate perception. I’m not interested in people who think they’re edgy and alternative, but I am interested in bikes and cultural identity. If there’s any of that left. I could just as easily have posed as a PhD student or something: I prefer to be completely honest about what I’m doing. Don’t shoot the messenger: media consumers have created the monster as much as anyone else.

I also dont buy this “we are one big happy family” shite. You only have to look at the state of the roads and the contempt TFL have for bikers in London: they only get away with it because bikers are so politically lame and servile as a group - we’re a family except when it comes to things like organisation and agenda. I’m much more interested in people who’ve sperated/divorced from this big happy family.

I also dont buy this “we are one big happy family” shite. You only have to look at the state of the roads and the contempt TFL have for bikers in London: they only get away with it because bikers are so politically lame and servile as a group - we’re a family except when it comes to things like organisation and agenda. I’m much more interested in people who’ve sperated/divorced from this big happy family.

[/quote]

Im phat,bald and a little weird, but in my world Im happy :smiley:

But seriously Ive just had 6 months of work sick, found this site and had a great laugh on it, been to meets rideouts etc so in a way its given me a new lease of life instead of riding around alone, can now hang out with other loons.

You cant just say bikers are politicaly lame its the whole damn country that rolls over and dont stick together, fuel protests, poll tax just 2 examples, love em or hate em the Frogs know how to strike and stick together.

Oooh I need a liedown now and more medication :D:P

sadly true.

I still don’t think bikers have been well served by organisations that claim to represent them.

The AA and RAC claim to represent the British “Motorist” but they sure as hell don’t represent me, they regurgitate the same bullsh*t the government comes out with like the one third lie etc. Nobody really represents anybody these days, it’s each for himself unfortunately.

True - but the sad thing is that organisations bikers pay to represent them (BMF, MAG) are also guilty. That thing organised by some bloke and sponsored by MCN recently shot itself in the foot: imagine PAYING to go on a fecking demo! A demo is about disruption, not having you arse wiped by cooperative policemen and being stashed out of the way of the general public… like the public really remember that day. Yeah right. The fact that we have the kill spills demo each year shows how remarkably unsuccessful the campaign has been. Why? Becaus its predominantly a two wheel issue and bikers have about as much politicial representation and clout as the tellytubbies. Less, actually, since children’s TV content is quite a hot topic right now.

Still looking for urban R1 obsessives and the music connection…also retro stylists who actually ride the thing instead of polishing it to death for the next show.:slight_smile:

[quote]
palesaint (05/02/2008)

Couldn’t agree more. That’s why MAG (who don’t give their member’s money away) didn’t sponsor it. Many members turned up as individuals or as support staff though. MAG does however support in more ways than one the possible solution, starting in a small way with the Unity Support Riders.

There might well be ‘subcultures’ in biking, I’m not interested. I just like riding in the open air, not being in a cage, having a ball with like-minded, free-thinking friends from all walks of life and many different backgrounds. Nothing in common but the fact we ride.

I might not like 16-year old chavs on their 50cc hair-dryers as a generalised group, but I’d still pull over and try to help if I saw one in trouble. At a pinch I might do it for a Harley rider, I know a few closet ones. :wink: