Couldn’t buy just a tyre but found a bargain price wheel and tyre so snapped that up. Just as well as the old wheel was very rusted and near the end of it’s life.
When I got home I realised there was a different wheel/axle arrangement but with the aid of the disk cutter I soon had the old axle out, though I did have to disk off the fixing nuts to get the old axle bearing blocks off.
Right A quick axle re grind and I’ve now got a good fit between the wheel and the axle but a float problem. No major issue. A measure up and cut some sleeves to suit. Sorted.
The local hardware store had no replacement bolts to to suit the axle bearing blocks so it was a case of buying some studding and nuts and making my own. With luck I had the plain and spring washers to suit in stock. In stainless steel too.
A quick trial assembly and I realise that the axle bearings are shot. O.K. Made some bushes to sleeves them down and got a near perfect fit first time. (There is a small god somewhere.)
Lots of good, new Castrol MS3 grease on all the running parts, copper grease on all the fixings and final assembly. (I did wonder about torque wrench settings on the bearing carriers but decided a good guess was O.K.
Tried the whole assembly out and it’s great. Tracks true, corners as it should and is whisper quiet.
£14 and two hours + work later, I now have a perfect working order, rusty as heck, builders wheel barrow.