Stock exhaust or aftermarket exhaust?

I would get an aftermarket one if I could find on that I liked the look of. But it’s expensive and I can’t justify spending 4 figures just to make a bit more noise. Especially as I could potentially loose power if I don’t get a power comander as the xj6 doesn’t have a programable ecu. It all adds up and I wander is if worth it or do I put that money to one side and get a father bike in the future.

I can’t wait to change mine!! Is not only for sports bikes or performance enhancements, loud pipes save lives! will be installing a shiny and loud roadsitalia carbon can within weeks on my CBF

aint that the truth! 12Kg saving with the Akras. and coz they are titanium you can go out for a long ride then slap your hands directly onto them to get a nice warm glow through your pinkies, not the 3rd degree burns you get from being within a couple of feet of the stock ones.

KTM now sell a sort of bracket to hold luggage off the stock cans as they set fire to so many peoples bags. Pillions weren’t to comfy either.

oh, and the 9bhp increase feels like more. :w00t:

I tend to buy old bikes that need new exhausts. I replaced the Triumph’s stock one with something that’s not six feet wide so I could get extra luggage, but I’d prefer it to be as quiet as the stock one.

Interesting results.

25% keep it stock, 25% buy a bike with it replace and 50% of you replace the stock one yourself.

Well, if all you want is a better look and sound, then you only need to change the silencer, not the whole exhaust system. This would cost you around £100-200. It also does not affect the performance of the bike, so you don’t need to worry about a power commander.

not always true, some will have an effect on performance and not always in the direction you might assume.

Like with most things, it’s best to go with a reputable brand, check some reviews/experiences from other people and make sure it is for your model of the bike before settling. Product description will also normally mention if it’s a peformance can. I’m in no way an expert, but from personal experience and experiences of others I know, it was never an issue.

I would only ever buy a top end exhausts for my bikes, the cheap ones sound and look cheap and do actually hinder performance as they have no money spent on research and developement, they are just bits of metal welded together. i would rather buy a top end 2nd hand exhaust than a cheap new one. i always go by the Mantra of “Buy Cheap, Buy Twice”

I’ve always gone on the basis that I’m not going to notice the fractional gain or loss in power as much as the couple of hundred quid cash and bought cheap. Always been Fuel or Motad I think, never had any go particularly wrong.