StarCom1

I’ve just bought a StarCom 1 unit, complete with headset, power lead and music lead, from a friend who hasn’t used it.

I’ve ordered the PMR and phone leads but need advice about connecting my Street Pilot.

I’m fairly sure I can plug in the lead to the ‘Phone’ socket on the unit but what do I do if I want both phone and GPS plugged in at the same time?

Can I use a standard 3.5mm splitter such as the ones sold in Maplin’s?

If not, what?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I do concede that many do not approve of receiving phone calls on mobiles whilst riding or driving but mine’s the family contact number - lodged with the school my partner’s son attends and I’m the one who has to deal with it, albeit very rarely.

Hi mate - do you have the StarCom1 or the StarCom1 Advance?

You should have several inputs - one is called AUX - which is where you should plug your GPS :slight_smile: Don’t plug it into the phone socket as that’s balanced for phone, rather than mono input - so you’ll end up with them talking over one-another or not working out the Vox correctly.

Hope that helps.

m

Thanks, Matt.

It’s StarCom 1 (not the Advanced one)

It’s got more holes in it than…mm, better not finish this sentence.

Headset 1 & 2

Phone (3.5 mm jack)

Audio ( " " " )

Radio as in PMR (6-pin socket)

PTT ( 6-pin socket)

12v. Input

Ah yes they added the aux in the advance version - I’d recommend using the audio channel - otherwise if you’re on the phone it wont ‘mute’ the gps when you’re talking and therefore the person you’re talking to will get an ear full of spoken directions :slight_smile:

m

I get an earful of spoken directions but the only thing plugged in is Debz

Thanks again, Matt.

So double-up music and GPS?

I would, the GPS and Music are both just stereo inputs - and it doesn’t matter if your GPS talkes over your music - but the Telephone input goes through a TBU (Telephone Balancing Unit) which balances the audio for stereo output plus it takes vos priority so if there’s output on that chanel will mute the other.

m

Very much appreciated! Thank you, Matt.