So long News of the World

So news just breaking that this sunday is the last edition!! No surprise, but don’t think this is the end of the story yet!!! Wonder if this means the Sunday Sport will pick up sales:w00t:

I seriously doubt it, unless it somehow pops back out of oblivion. Unless you mean crumpled second hand ( :rolleyes: ) copies, in which case I can think of far more popular publications that would fit that particular bill…

now to get rid of the rest of the murdoch bollocks, and all’s fine :w00t:

it does not come as a surprize.

There was no way to revive a brand that has caused so much controversy!

First I heard of this. No loss in terms of the paper. Now the other useless rags can go

I meant the revival of the Sunday Sport

"When I tell people why I am proud to be part of News Corporation, I say that our commitment to journalism and a free press is one of the things that sets us apart. "

Wha?! :blink:

Versions of sunsunday urls were being bought a few days ago. Damage limitation in full swing now.

sorry keyboard/trigger happy!!!

publicity stunt :slight_smile: soon to be the sun on sunday…

the best part about this article by the bbs political editor was his very last sentance, the “ps…”

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14064438

:smiley: excellent

Ahh the Sunday Sport…Warm fuzzy, happy memories.

What amazes me is the amount of time devoted to all this on the BBC news, ITV and Channel 4 this evening - it’s as if the closure of the News of the Screws is of major worldwide international interest - when it’s of interest to a small number of the population. The Murdoch empire will carry on regardless of the phone hacking scandal and the closure of one paper. The press will still claim they have ‘freedom’ but will in reality leave untold the stories of much of the world and remain tied into celebrity culture and the political and business elite.

I think it is of interest to wider society, for a number of reasons.

First and foremost many are disgusted by the hacking allegations, regardless of whether they were involved or ever bought the newspaper. Secondly the paper was one of the highest selling in the country. Thirdly, it has been around for 168 years, it is historic and now it is gone.

As many have commented, the person in charge Rebekah Brooks remains in her post, so lots of people have been made unemployed, but not the person who was ultimately responsible.

Personally I would like to see prosecutions in the near future, but our limp wristed Government appears to be making noises about making this an inquiry without judges, so there will be no compelling people to give evidence and no evidence given under oath, which carries with it penalties including imprisonment. We already know that News International has lied to Parliament when giving evidence about phone tapping in the past, yet our Government seems content to give the biggest opportunity for the lies to continue.

Sorry but that last bit I missed.

If people really gave a toss about the rest of the world, the newspapers would report it. The sad fact is that people are not interested in the rest of the world or its problems, occasionally they don’t mind getting involved with the bigger stories but the daily tragedies of other peoples lives does not engage people.

They would rather hear about Jordan’s new love.

I think it is simply that people can only put up with so much depressing crap and they have enough of it in their own lives, to the point where they don’t want to go looking for it, and any newspaper that filled its pages with such would find its readership diminish rather quickly.

Blaming the press for that is pointless.

It’s the silence of the press that has enabled atrocities to continue. The press has the power to shape perception, to shape policy, to shape peoples’ views on the world. Its ‘unreporting’ enables atrocities and corruption to continue regardless without question.Where was the press when the scandal of the UK government shunting the Chagos islanders off their own island and selling it to the US as a military base broke once again ? The court cases against the Blair government by the islanders were barely touched upon. This is only one example out of many hidden stories. Most newspapers took Blair’s lies on Iraq at face value at the time, without bothering to investigate further.

The phone hacking scandal is the tip of the iceberg of dirty tactics employed by the Murdoch empire, which owns 50% (maybe more?) of the current newspaper and TV market. Consider the families of the Hillsborough victims whose funerals were invaded by Makenzie’s photographers, despite asking for their privacy to be respected. Cutting circulation of the News of the Screws still leaves the fact that the major flow of information to the public is through the medium of one conglomerate. It still leaves the question - where and what is truth in journalism? And do we even care?

I remember reading about the Chagos islanders, but I read about it in Private Eye I think.

The sad fact that is inescapable is that people don’t really care about the Chagos islanders. If a newspaper filled their pages with similar stories people would buy different newspapers, newspapers that didn’t fill their pages with such stories.

That newspaper would go out of business, as many have done in the past, people still wouldn’t learn about the plight of the Chagos Islanders, because they just don’t care enough about what is happening to other people.

To blame the press as if somehow this is their fault, or that they should foist upon their readers intelligent reporting regardless of what people actually want, is just wishful thinking.

I agree about the power an empire like Murdoch’s wields and the problems it creates, but the end product that is published by each newspaper is purely the fault of the readership. People by this dross, they have alternatives and they choose not to buy those.

No loss to real journalisum, it was a comic anyway. I agree to getting rid of the Sun (another sensationlist comic) but the Times??? What scares me is if the Sky bid goes through…

I think the Murdochs have done themselves a favour by shutting down NOTW with BSkyB pending. He reduces his monopoly (at least it looks like he reduces it, but we know the score), and if that’s the only concern for its approval then it should go ahead. I also thinks it throws a massive spanner in the works of any investigation. Of course, now someone has to have some balls and decide whether News International is run by “fit and proper persons”. How likely is that?

There’s a lot that fascinates me about this story - some police were taking bribes, let’s not forget about that; and (for me this is the most curious thing) way back in the day when phone hacking started, what made those people think that it was OK to do so? I wonder how they justified it to themselves and how could they justify it to others. “In the public interest” doesn’t really cut it for me.

I find myself asking that question about a lot behaviour both in business and the way private individuals behave. What makes it OK to XYZ? Baffling.