Snetterton Monday 5th

How did you get on then?

It was lethal out there after 3PM.

Hi PeteI saw you where in the garage near the tyre van (I think) but saw you was with quite a few others in the garage. Its busy aint it they always keep you on the go so didnt find much time to walk around tbh.

Thoroughly enjoyed the first taste of a fast track. Was a bit unnerving seeing 4/5 riders going down on different corners etc. I even had a guy grass tracking in front of me on the first corner as he went in too quick and basically undertook me (I was a bit of a mobile chicane I guess at times :w00t: ). However the organisers seemed to keep the sessions running well. All this was in the morning too :hehe:

I felt that some of the riding in the 1st group Monday was not great and I dont think I am learning any lines etc. by continuing in the 1st group. Not sure I am quick enough yet but may go up a group to help me improve with my braking points, corner speed etc. basically try and learn from the quicker riders. Also got to sort out body position on the thing as I am sure this is also holding me back. Probably try to address this next time with the use of an instructor because when I latched on to one who came round I found my pace shot up considerably, but If I lost them intraffic I wasnt able to sustain it.

Did the first session in the afternoon but when the rain came I tried a couple of laps but the surface was too slippery even I had a moment on the back end on the exit of the 2nd bend so came in and we didnt go out after the that, just packed up and went.

Overall a top day though, Gonna try and do Silverstone and Brand next as they are a bit nearer. Did you enjoy it? Got any more planned?

I have Jerez at the end of this month, can’t wait.This is my report for superduke.net

Anyway, a quick report.

Not been on a bike for 6 or 7 weeks. I turned up with brand new Brembo pads fitted yesterday, and the rear tyre I’d used at Lydenn Hill with Luke. That rear was well, well worn and had already been turned to extend life.

Mainly out of being lazy, I decided to start with it and get a few sessions from it.

I can usually bed a new set of pads in during 3 sighting laps with no trouble. I got it wrong this time and the short first session wasn’t that good.
Back in the garage, pads out and yes, as I thought I’d glazed them.

A quick rub on a piece of fine glass paper and I was ready for session 2.

I was still a bit carefull with the brakes, and was riding well within myself. I think this was the one Dan timed at 1min 24. The same time I used to go 'round on a bog stock 250! So not that great.

The rest of the morning sessions were spent slowly pushing a little more, now knowing that brakes were good, but mindfull of the rear tyre. I did have a few little slides out of Russell’s chicane.

Lunch was a scrummy milkshake (smooth chocolate from myprotien.com )
a banana and … M&S chocolate moose. YUMMY Smile

Out from the car came the famous green rear wheel, with a nicely scrubbed racetech K2 tyre on.

I had love in my tummy, and grippy rubber on, so I looked forward to 1440hrs with glee.

I left pit lane with the intention of doing a nice easy out lap. Even though the warmers had been on for a hour I like to check the changes (new rear) didn’t have a nasty suprise waiting.

Between turns 1 and 2, who should come screaming past on one of his fireblades but Harry Monk. He went through 2 knee down and then gunned it down the revitt straight to the max.

Well plan a went out the window and I set off after him, he having already a decent lead due to catching me touring and the sheer power of those blades.

I chased him and chased him. With some satisfaction, I found I was reeling him in. Not by a great deal, but after a few laps I was very close into Russells chicane, and into turn 2.

During my pursuit I twice got held up briefly by slower riders. Harry caught them just right and in places where the extra speed of the blade carried him past.

I was pleased that I manage to close again both times.
During this, we both noted odd spots of rain, and both decided it was too little to make a difference.

Harry pulled in, and I did another lap and joined him.

Back in the garages, Harry told me he had been doing 1min 20 laps. I was fairly pleased as I felt this put my times just under that mark. For sure I had been pushing much harder than the morning, but I still had plenty in hand.

Sadly it started to rain after that. Not enough to make wets worth while, but enough to make the track really slippery on supercorsas.

I didn’t want to bugger up my wets or tiptoe 'round, so I called it a day.

Great write up Pete I saw the bike with the green wheel on wondered what that was all about (Wheel not being Orange :stuck_out_tongue: ) So what would you think would be a good or expected sort of time to run for the 3 different groups as a guide?

I’ve no idea what the other groups do. The proper fast lads on fast bikes are down at 1 min 10. The fastest I’ve been 'round is 1 min 16 on a 750. I was trying pretty hard.

There was a lot of Kwack there, I had a look for you but couldn’t find you. I did hope it wasn’t you who had a nasty fall into the chicane at about 1515.

My green wheels were from Dave Heal’s cup bike. I thought they were a nasty colour when I received them, but I really like them now!

I’ve no idea what the other groups do. The proper fast lads on fast bikes are down at 1 min 10. The fastest I’ve been 'round is 1 min 16 on a 750. I was trying pretty hard. Top stuff Pete cracking pace you have got there, watching your session I spotted your bike on the start/finish straight you certainly dont hang around :cool:

My mate was running 1.25`s in the 2nd group lets just say Im a tad slower but both of us were happy for our first run out here and only 2nd ever TD.

There was a lot of Kwack there, I had a look for you but couldn’t find you. I did hope it wasn’t you who had a nasty fall into the chicane at about 1515.

We stayed upright thankfully, I saw a bike lent up against the side at the chicane so just missed it luckily, I am sure the rider was there on their feet too looked OK as well

My green wheels were from Dave Heal’s cup bike. I thought they were a nasty colour when I received them, but I really like them now!

Nah Green is lovely just look at my bike :stuck_out_tongue:

Jerez you lucky boy I`d love to go out to some where hot and do a track day. In fact we 3 are looking at Portugal (Portamino) or Spain (Almeria) to do in February 2010 gonna start researching this now, any tips advice appreciated to point us in the right direction. Budget wise we reckon on about 800 to a grand to cover for a 3 day session with up to 5 days accomodation to make a break of it. How much is Jerez costing you if you dont mind me asking…

Almeria is going to be chilly in Feb, especially in the mornings!

Jerez was about 650 - less 10% 'cos it’s my 3rd trip with FE this year.

That’s tracktime, hotel and transport of the bike and gear.

It’s about a grand by the time you factor in flights, tyres, car hire and beer money.