Snapped Clutch Cable

Oioi, 

Breaking my bout of silence to ask for help.

Snapped my clutch cable on my 08 ZX6r tonight, managed to get it home ok - Anyone have any idea of a garage who could replace it sooner rather than later? Currently in Clapham so it’d have to be a garage south of the river.

You’ll need a new part. Once you have the new clutch cable, cable tie it to the old one and pull it through into place. It’s (usually) pretty easy. A garage can do it for you either but the process is entirely dependent on the part.

Try FWR or oval motorcycles

oval is closed until next week, fyi

Metropolis parts might have it in stock if FWR don’t.

FWR are closed until Saturday 9AM.

Thanks for the replies fellas,
I’ve left a message with FWR and will give Metropolis a bell in the am. Just glad it didn’t happen too far from home ;D

You'll need a new part. Once you have the new clutch cable, cable tie it to the old one and pull it through into place. It's (usually) pretty easy. A garage can do it for you either but the process is entirely dependent on the part. Joby

Mind expanding on that a little? The cable is snapped @ the lever end. 

he means you need a new cable so if they don’t have it in stock you’re out of luck.
common consumable so should be fine unless cables are model specific?.. i dont know.

I mean the cable tie pull it through part mate!

And as far as I’m aware they are model specific

5 minute job tops.  I replaced mine at the side of the road in Greenwich. I carry a spare one in my topbox… easy to do.

With regards to the cable tie pull it though part, the clutch cable is routed through from the clutch to the lever. If you have a faired bike it will go behind the fairing or on a naked bike sometimes it goes through some loops. If you cable tie the new cable to the old cable, when you pull the old cable out it will pull the new cable through the correct route so you are all set. For example cable tie the clutch end of the new cable to the lever end of the old cable then pull the old cable off the bike from the clutch end it’ll pull the new cable into place using the correct route. It can save a lot of faffing about. Once the new cable is in place you can cut the cable tie then attach the cable at the clutch and lever ends, adjust it and you are all set.

Sounds like a plan, cable ordered. Let’s give it a whirl.

Thanks for the input all, have an awesome new year

When my triumph clutch cable snapped I when to the local Yamaha dealers & they sorted me out with one as close as possible to the triumphs size with a bit of careful fiddling I got it fitted and it lasted until triumph could get one in (they never stock anything)

If your unsure about fitting it … and can get it there … visit oval motorcycle centre and see Matt

Or join the Ramblers, much more going on there than LB.

With regards to the cable tie pull it though part, the clutch cable is routed through from the clutch to the lever. If you have a faired bike it will go behind the fairing or on a naked bike sometimes it goes through some loops. If you cable tie the new cable to the old cable, when you pull the old cable out it will pull the new cable through the correct route so you are all set. For example cable tie the clutch end of the new cable to the lever end of the old cable then pull the old cable off the bike from the clutch end it'll pull the new cable into place using the correct route. It can save a lot of faffing about. Once the new cable is in place you can cut the cable tie then attach the cable at the clutch and lever ends, adjust it and you are all set. Joby
Did the treat, peeled back the side fairing whenever I felt it snagging a bit, clutch cable was cable tied up in a few places and had some loops to go through. All sorted now!