Smelly goretex

After a long hot slog across Europe my jacket needs a wash. What do you recommend? Any tips and tricks to not destroying it in the wash or tumble dryer?

Thanks

I hand-wash all my bike gear, using regular washing detergents.
Let it air-dry. No radiators and not in direct sun, to avoid shrinkage.

1 Like

I use nickwax gore tex washer in the machine.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies.

Just be very careful with heat. I killed one of my favourite Goretex jackets because I bunged it in the normal Mixed programme (like I do for everything else) and the heat delaminated all the seaming tape. Duh.

1 Like

I’ve been washing Goretex garments for 20-odd years. I use Nikwax Tech Wash followed by Nickwax TX-Direct wash-in to restore the waterproofing. Wash at 30 degrees, it is important to remove any residual washing powder from the powder dispenser before starting. After the TX Direct, I take the suit to the local launderette and use their big tumble dryers to give it a bit of a cook to restore the surface water-repellency. I wash my Aerostich Roadcrafter twice a year like this and it is still all good.

3 Likes

+1 Nikwax Tech Wash and TX-Direct wash-in.

Treat yourself to some mesh textiles and carry a waterproof over suit in case of rain.

1 Like

Next time we do a hot trip I’ll do that. 41 degrees on the Autoroute was a sweat fest.

1 Like

I’ve always washed mine with nikwax and let it drip dry so it’s not saturated then put in drying cupboard on low-medium heat

1 Like

Question for the nikwax experts.

Do you let your gear dry after nikwax wash before doing the tx.direct or do you do it straight after?

Straight after, I don’t even take it out of the washing machine.