Slowest Wheelie

Coming into work this morning I lifted the front wheel of the ground an inch or two :w00t:

and it got me wondering how much speed plays a role in lifting the front wheel.

Is there a minimum speed you must be going in order to do a wheelie?
is there a slowest wheelie record :Whislting:

I’m no expert but it’s more about technique than speed. You can do a power wheelie from grabbing a handful of throttle but you can clutch it up from a standstill.

oh yeah, forgot about that one…
and the numerous idiots on youtube that flip the bike from standstill :w00t:

ITS JUST ABOUT GET EVERYTHING RIGHT BUT OFF THE POWER IS GOOD JUST DONT PULL UR WRIST TO HARD

high and slow is the best… simple…

the higher you go the less acceleration you need to keep it up and the further you will be able to cary it before you hit the rev limiter or need another cog…

start with small power wheelies then learn to clutch it up.

you can flick it up from 10 mph with the clutch to a good hight and carry it from there.

also think of it like this if you power it up its starts low but as it gets to a certain hight it picks up faster and faster and will suddenly lift, buy that time your in the meat of the power and its easy to flip it…

+1 :slight_smile:

In both cases it is the rate of acceleration rather than level of speed. Clutching it simply enables a greater gain in acceleration in a shorter space of time making lift off occur at even low speed. Doing off power simply is a progressive accceleration as opposed to sudden.

But to simply show it is not all about speed - look at anyone bombing it down the motorway… at v high speed - both wheels down. Because have achieved that level of speed through accelration less severe.

What you are talking about is torque, the more torque that can be generated the easier it is to change the angular momentum.

Since internal combustion engines generate more power with higher RPMs dropping the clutch to pop a wheelie is just like dumping a bunch of power onto the drive train. So anything that can apply force to the drive train that can overcome the bikes inertia will pick it up. The center of balance plays a huge role too because if you have a 300lb guy sitting on a 600cc bike it’s probably not going to wheelie. I’m only about 200lbs but on my V-rod I have to stand on the back pegs to get the long, heavy bastard into the air despite it already having plenty of torque.

This is also why you see you the trick bikes with huge rear sprockets because they generate a ton of torque but ultimately limit the top speed because of the torque-friendly toothing. Again this is why land speed record vehicles usually need a push off because they are toothed to provide top speed.

$0.02 (USD)

…and seriously ruin the accuracy of the already inaccurate speedo :smiley:

Always clutch, never from standstill. I wouldn’t try and clutch it up from 10mph however if your learning. A good 20mph will give you a little time to save it if your about to flip it. Always start small and build up slowly. :smiley: