silverstone today, got my knee down ,

went to silverstone today all was going well till the 3rd session on the first lap i low sided the gsxr :blush:Slid across the tarmac on to the grass,:hehe: Got up went to the bike picked it up and got it out the way managed to start it and ride it out the way in a safe place , stayed there till end of session then rode back to the pits,That was the end of my day as i had snapped off the gearlever and didnt have a spare.

Was good untill then, i had paid for an instructor on a 121 basis

i recorded the first 2 sessions on my bulit cam but the crash didnt get recorded :frowning: forgot to change the sd card my instructor neil was a nice bloke shame i didnt get the whole day with him but thats life.

glad it wernt any worse as i forgot my back protector, i felt naked with out that !!!

the gixer suffered with snapped gear lever snapped paddockstand bobbin, heavily ground engine case and light scratches , the motrax sliders held up perfectly and did the job but i need to replace one now

…my wolf leathers held up really well and my alpinestar gloves my sidis are slightly scuffed too, but had a great day didnt see you up there deano did look hope you had a good day,

note to self . next time take spare levers and bike!!! loland dont go into corners so fast on cold tyres lol

oh, that was you they were talking about over the tannoy:D sounds like you has as much luck as me.

If it was me they were probably saying what a good bloke i was for not redflagging the day like some others up there!! lol:D:D

At least the damage sounds minor fella.

What part of the corner was it, at or after the apex? Throttle open?

At least it was your track day bike, and not your road bike. Glad you’re ok :slight_smile:

i think it was just at the apex, thought i had got away with it and opended the throttle , the back went first , I must of been lent right over 'as i didnt hit the ground with any force what so ever, just slid along:DCheers johnse1 yeah it was only one of the trackbikes so no harm done ,about 50quid will fix it:)

I did exactly the same thing at Rockingham on my CBR this weekend, unlike yours though my R&G crash bungs snapped off and left and front fairings trashed :frowning: Once I’d over come the anger, embarrassment and disbelief I’ve entered into a stage of depression. No bike, public transport to work and and MASSIVE bill to come. If I had a garage I’d do the repairs myself but I don’t so it’s off to the workshop. I’m a bit at a loss right now, I’d like to do more track days but not at this kind of expense. I don’t think I can afford a dedicated track bike either. This biking thing is expensive …

Sorry to hear that , Im so glad im fortunate enough to have track bikes but if i didnt i wouldnt do trackdays, im not rich enough to go trashing my main road bike, but i would love to take it on the track,

I know the feeling…I’ve been there quite a few times (just this year not counting the past 3).

Don’t be disheartened, but I have to say that the track bike option is the most cost effective way of doing track days. Even a minor low side on a road bike can start racking up large amounts of cash.

The other alternative is to buy race / track bodywork for the bike. Put that all on before the day, and trailer or van the bike to the track.

If you still use your road tank, you’re still looking at around 4 to 500 notes for a replacement, but these are less likely to get damaged in my experience (and I’ve fallen many times from a road bike with road bodywork on track).

Actually, you could just get a knackered tank off ebay and as long as it doesn’t leak…Alls good.

This whole lot will cost you around 300 quid, but trust me, it’s a bargain compared to how much it costs to replace OEM bits.

Hope you continue.

Take it easy.

Why would you want to do that?

http://www.youtube.com/v/Ld6ucBfGKX4

cuase its just so much fun

Thanks. I’m going to have to work out some plan. I just want to get back on the track, strange as that may seem, but the though of crashing my road bike and the cost associated is soul crushing. I guess I’ll just have to figure a track day won’t be cheap for me as I have two options:

. buy track bike, trailer, tow bar, house with garage
. rent track bike

Either way £140 track days are just not possible because they turn into £1000s track days. Rather spend the extra to rent/hire a bike.

I just wonder if anyone else here is able to live in London (flat with no garage) and live this track lifestyle cheaply?

Thanks for the reply. I’ve asked the work shop to keep the broken panels, may be able to fix and use as described. Also it’s good to know I’m not the only one out there with this dilemma. I just wonder if it’s possible to do track days cheaply, bearing in mind I have no garage and my bike lives outside.

The simple answer is no.

The more complicated one is, it’s cheaper if you don’t crash :smiley: . However everyone crashes eventually if they touch or push the limits. Some play it safe which is fair play, but they generally reach a level and don’t really improve any further or even start going slower.

If you do track days on your own road bike, it’s more likely that you’ll fall into the second category, and even then, you may still crash.

My bike lives outside like yours too, and I only have that bike which I’ve been using for track days. I’ ve had a few offs this year though which has definitely made me decide to use a dedicated bike for track from now on.

There are a number of ways you can do it…I’m likely to split the costs with a mate, buying someone else’s ready prepared track bike, and trailer. Then splitting the costs of hiring a van, fuel and then sharing the bike on the track by running in different groups from one another.

The other possible idea is to buy an old early '90s 600cc sports bike for around £500 - £1000…

Change the fork springs for new units and fill the forks with new oil. Revalve the rear suspension…Then get the suspension set up by an expert like B (Brian the Brain :smiley: off here).

Get the brakes looked at, by changing the fluid, replacing caliper piston seals, and fitting new brake pads.

Then get some decent tyres put on…Do all that lot for say £1500.

You can do all the work yourself (old bikes are more likely to have a Haynes manual written for them to help yoy) and even if you think you are not mechanically minded, you’d be amazed at how simple it is to work on bikes if you give yourself some time and read the instructions (ask around on here too).

The season is coming to a close soon as the sh*te weather draws in, so you can get to work in your spare time in readyness for next year.

Just some ideas on reducing costs.

The good thing about running a track bike is that you’re not compromising the machine by using it on the road also. How effective are road tyres at offering grip when being used hard on track, after they have been used for mile after mile of mostly commuting in a straight line and they have squared off as a result?

I mean ofcourse it can be done, but riding consistently and fast requires rider confidence and that can only occur when the rider has total confidence in the machine, and this occurs when the machine consistently responds in a predictable way.

Track days are like a drug habit…Addictive and expensive unfortunately :wink:

Know how you feel mate! :wink: , unlucky but all a learning experience.

Generally noone insures their bike on track as the cost is horrendous so the way I look at is, if you can’t afford to replace it if you bend it then don’t do it. I’ve seen bikes turned into big bits of shrapnel. Then you have to think about your own safety. A friend of mine broke his back at Cadwell and was off work for 6 months. Motorsport is a dangerous and expensive hobby. You’re playing at the big table now… still want to get back out there? of course you do cos that is what makes it so exciting :cool:

well this is an impressively negative threadto be fair nuts, you can say the same about riding on the road. your r1 hit a lampost on the road didn’t it? i wrote off an r1 into another bike on the road doing under 40mph. thats bikes for you :wink:

its perfectly possible to enjoy a trackday on your own bike without binning it - this is what most of the people at the day do. you accept you might crash each time you take your bike out on the road. the track is no different. you’re likely to crash with more speed, but there are less solid objects (and you’ll definitely be wearing all the gear) so swings and roundabouts really. just ride accordingly

it should go without saying that the bike should be in good working order with decent rubber on it. :wink:

ride to 80-90% of your limit, and ride for fun. it doesn’t matter if you’re not the fastest guy on track - we aren’t racing on TDs :cool:

Yeah, I guess I’m overly negative being without a bike. The quote from the shop hasn’t even come in yet and they’ve had the bike almost a week now. However I do agree, plain simple fact was I was pushing too hard, having a blast and just got carried away.

I think the best option going forward is to pick up a cheaper road bike, something that if I do crash is cheaper to repair and I’m not left stranded without a bike, but something that I can use on the road too from time to time.

The dedicated track bike option I think is too expensive, especially as I figure if I do half a dozen track days a year that’ll be a lot. So time to look for a cheap-ish SV 650 or something.

Any recommendations?

You are completely wrong Ben, but I will not hold it against you.

Do you go at 80-90% when you are doing 55s at Brands? As the man said 'plain simple fact was I was pushing too hard, having a blast and just got carried away. ’

Everyone does it. You go to a track and there is no speed limit so you push your luck. Every trackday I’ve been to there are red flags every other session as someone gets a little over confident and bins it.

The difference between trackdays and riding on the road is that most of the time you are riding well within yourself on the road. You can’t take chances or you’ll end up dead.

I didn’t hit a lamp post in the road, it was off to the side of the road. It was that or get hit by the car coming round the corner towards me, on the wrong side of the double white lines.

These things happen, that is life.

I think the main point is, it’s pretty difficult to know where your limit is until you fall.

Deciding to ride at an arbitrary degree becomes a bit meaningless therefore, but a smooth and consistent style goes a long way to preventing the off.

Something I need to work on :smiley: