Sick Ape

Wotcha Jimbo - it’s bin a while! :slight_smile:

So is that what you had done to yours on its way to being a 580, or whatever it was?

Hi mate, yeah thats what I did. Some people with 540 barrels have had them split, me included. If your barrel is in good nick I would leave it alone as they are more reliable that way. But if you really want to go 540 it is the cheapest way unless you can get new parts at second hand prices. Oh & my guess is your R/H main bearing has picked up the same as Hoftys photo. It’s quite common & yes I had that as well.

Not going to risk boring the existing barrel Jim - I’ve heard too many horror stories! Unless a new/ish kit comes up for a bargain price I’ll be keeping it 520 (510).

Alright Baz? Cal does 40 mods that improve the bike, things like braided hoses and catch cans, stuff like that. They’re not 100% necessary but do improve the bike and make it more reliable. The main reason it’s going up to cal (this week yay!) is to reseal the engine casings which is the main problem, then I’ll ride the piss out of it, sell it and get a ‘sensible’ bike :smiley:

soo…whats been appenin

they found this inside:D

Ooh, a resurrection! :hehe:

And while we’re resurrecting you probably won’t be interested to know that this …

… turned out to be the surface of the 5th speed gears breaking down and a knackered rocker roller - mains and everything else was spot on - bore was fine, even the ring gaps were still in spec. So what I was thinking was going to be a very expensive rebuild turned out to be pretty mild :slight_smile:

Yeah, RFS motors rock! :cool:

That is great news!

How many hours / miles on that engine?

I always believed in RFS, my next bike will be with RFS or the new 500 exc.
Apparently after not so good 530 XC4 motors that newly designed engine is great.
http://www.ktm.com/gb/enduro/500-exc-six-days/highlights/benefit/217/benefit/Product.html

[quote]
motodrb (14/10/2011)

That is great news!

How many hours / miles on that engine?

I always believed in RFS, my next bike will be with RFS or the new 500 exc.
Apparently after not so good 530 XC4 motors that newly designed engine is great.
http://www.ktm.com/gb/enduro/500-exc-six-days/highlights/benefit/217/benefit/Product.html[/quote]

The quote set up on this forum is still wank - wonder if they’ll ever get it to work properly.

I’ve no real idea of what use my bike has had - it’s 10 years old and came with no service history at all, had 1,500 miles on the clock when I bought it which I assume is meaningless, judging by the wear on the gear shift etc it had a fair bit of use. I’ve done over 6,500 miles on it since. My previous 520 was like that - also 10 years old with about 7,000 miles known use, swarf started showing up in the oil so had it rebuilt and the only thing wrong was cam surfaces breaking down - everything else inside was like new. And I don’t give my bikes a particularly easy time, as I think you may have noticed!

I don’t want to know! :pinch:

Cal’s got the bike up in Yorkshire, he’s pretty much finished my bike I think but he’s working on a few more from London too, so I’ll probably wait until they’re done so we can chuck them all in the same van to bring them back dahn sarf and save a few pound notes.

Should have it back in a week or so hopefully!

And mad-dog, you was’nt far off with that bomb lol, my stator bolts were coming loose apparently, and if that had come loose it might as well have been a bomg going off inside it :smiley: