Shame - Cineworld, Enfield

Went to see the 8:50pm performance of Jack Reacher: Never Look Back at Cineworld, Enfield on Tuesday 8th November.  After buying the ticket, I find the following notice (see picture below) on the door of the auditorium.  I was disappointed as the same thing happened several months ago.  

Anyway, my friend and I went in to see the film anyway.  It wasn’t warm in there at all, and after about 20 minutes of trailers, I needed to put my coat on, as did my friend too.  Half way through the film, it got quite cold indeed.  

After the film, I asked to speak to the Duty Manager, and a member of staff phoned through a message and told me he’d be down soon.  A couple of minutes later, a supervisor asked if she could help me, and I said that I was very disappointed about the lack of heating, no advanced notice having been given prior to me buying the ticket, and I wish to address this with the Duty Manager as it’s the second time we’ve experienced this.  She said that there should have been someone on the door advising everyone that they could get a refund, but only if they did not stay for the duration of the whole film.  When the DM arrived, I expressed the same sentiments to him. He apologized, saying that they had on-going problem with their heating and air conditioning and it’s something they are dealing with.  After making him aware that this is the second time we’ve had this problem in his cinema, and we didn’t complain about it previously, I was most unhappy with it.  He again apologized and said he would give us complimentary tickets to make up for this.  I asked “How many?” to which he answered “Two”.  I reminded him that this was the second time we had suffered this, and tonight was very cold, and he still said that he would only offer us two tickets.  I said that is not acceptable, and I would like the name and contact details for the Area Manager, which he refused to give me.  He said he would not give me the area manager’s name, but would give me the telephone number for customer services.  I game him my business card, suggested he reconsider his offer and contact me by the end of the next working day, and if I haven’t heard from him, I be raising a formal complaint with his head office.

Customer service in this country I find to rarely be excellent, sometime good, but most commonly mediocre at best.  Having just come back from Canada, our cousins over that side of the pond really know how to encourage customers to return.  The U.S. is the same, or better.  If I ran my business in a shoddy manner, I’d be broke.  Yet I charge more for martial arts lessons than most other clubs in my areas (Edmonton and Wood Green) and my students/clients, are happy to pay it as I provide a far better level of customer service than most, if not all, of the other local clubs.  Plus I get my students to black belt standard fast.  I don’t mind paying top dollar for a product or service, but that service or product needs to be of value to that cost.  

Paying £10.60 for a seat in a cinema is not good value any more.  Being uncomfortably cold in a cinema only exacerbates such circumstances.

I’m not happy.  Now I need to watch something funny on tv before I go to sleep. 

Attachments

Too be fair I think 2 complimentery tickets was a fair offer…what did you want him to do…bow down and kiss your feet.

Maybe not as far as his feet

Cheer up. You can now watch the new world order unfold as Trump will be next president

I think if you had left halfway through, it gives a bit more support for compensation.

OK we’ll boycott it

Sorry Acman your a nice bloke but I have to whole heartedly disagree with you.

If you would have said something the first time then you would have probably gotten 2 free tickets then too. As you didn’t complain the first visit is not relevant. They have done everything in their power to get you to come back. If you would have left during the film it would have been a different story.

what would have resolved the situation?

Maybe they want you to contact head office as they are sick of dealing with this complaint and it’s a quicker way of getting the heating fixed.

You watched the whole film! End of really. Two tickets is generous. Sorry pal

Yup agree with the others. You sat through it and got two free tickets so that’s good customer service in my book.

Appreciate that you should have been told before you bought them but in the end you saw a movie for free… if it had been unbearable you could have walked out

The first visit is irrelevant as anyone can say ‘oh this is the third time this is happening’

Canada’s overrated, l would have taken the two tickets especially as you could have got a refund when you saw the note.

How did you rate the film - it’s on my bucket list.

PS didn’t your friend want to share bodily warmth?

I honestly don’t know, but Cineworld Enfield doesn’t sound like the sort of “top dollar” establishment you thought you were patronising.

When you have them your card…

Was that like a passive aggressive threat… ?

I like all your responses.  Keep them coming, please.

I would have accepted four tickets, as it was the second time that we had suffered that situation.  However, on reflection this morning, after reading your comments, I now think I should have accepted the two tickets offered at the time.  I’ve learnt something here.

When you have them your card....

Was that like a passive aggressive threat… ?

banman
Absolutely not.  It has my contact details, and he can tell I run a locally based business.

The only time I’ve used my card as a threat, was in humour to a dentist.  I advised him that “I have a low pain threshold, and would not mind if he were to double up on anesthetics.  After all we’re don’t want to hurt each other.”.

You need to be this good to make threats.  I like his comment at 1:10

I’m with the other troops here bud!

You choose to sit through the entire film with your jacket on so could not have been all bad! then kick up a fuss where he offered you 2 free tickets I’d have been happy with that.

but I’m never likely to go to the Enfleid one so I will join the Jets in boycotting them…

Reminds me of my 12 hour flight to Thailand 2 year ago …had the seat next to the area where they prepare all the food,so even colder than usual ,Sat the whole journey with a hoody on and the hood up…wish they had offered me a fee ticket:)

I pictured it like sticking card on your foot and offering it with mawashi Geri :rofl::footprints:

@ banman - “Mawashi geri” Oh, I think you’ve done some karate, eh?  I’m not like JCVD, with the flexibility of a ballet dancer.  I don’t teach the formal roundhouse kick of traditional karate, but the turning kick from the korean styles, as it’s quicker at getting to the target, even if it may be slightly less impact force. But more to the point, I did not give him my business card from a kick.

“I do not fear the man who has practised ten thousand kicks once. But I fear the man who has practised the same kick ten thousand times”

I’ve a little Shotokan, Mugendo, Nam Pai Chuan, Wing Chun, I Chuan/Da Cheng Chuan under my belt.