Setting up a home network - some advice please

Hi Guys,

So am about to move into our new house, and want to take the opportunity to set up the infrastructure for a home network. Nothing really complicated (he says) but want to basically have a main server that we can use for storage (music/pictures etc) initially two laptops via wi-fi and probably the provision for online gaming/streaming media in the main living room. Longer term a home office set up will be added to this, but any web hosting etc will be 3rd party. I am however, although a bit of a digital geek, reliant on this kind of actual set up at work with IT etc. So effectively know what I want but need some help getting there:D

My initial thought is to have a server tucked away somewhere (looking at something like http://www.ebuyer.com/product/192543) with a hard wired connection Cat5e (which I understand is the appropriate spec) to the living room and main bedroom for fast data speeds. The remainder of the house will be via wi-fi as the two wired connections can be used for large amounts of data transfer.

Questions,

1. is this the right approach
  2. Can you have a mix of Macs and Windows running into the server
  3. how do I connect the server to wi-fi and the cat5 points
  4. how do I manage the internal network
  5. what would the shoping list look like?
  6. May sound stupid, but does the server run 24/7 or is there a way to power on and off on demand?

Any advise would be really helpful, feel free to tell me if there is a better way to do this.

Thanks

A

no expect on this myself but i’ll give you my thoughts :smiley:

Questions,

1) is this the right approach
Yes, wired networks where you can to get the best data speeds.

2) Can you have a mix of Macs and Windows running into the server
Yes, most servers and NAS boxes work with both platforms, just double check the specs.

**3) how do I connect the server to wi-fi and the cat5 points **
I would go for a Smart Switch with how many you think you need ports - devices you need to consider

Server/NAS box, TV(s), Games console(s), Sky/virgin/BT box, media streaming box (if not using game console or have a compatible TV), desktop Mac/PC machine (might as well seeing as you are running cables), printer/scanners(s), Wireless node (Apple Time Capsule would give you a wireless point and backup for your Macs, plus file sharing and printserver for Mac/PC)

Also run extra cables if you budget/space can cope for redundancy and future expansion - though you could always add a smaller hub in each room.

4) how do I manage the internal network
plug and play, unless you want to go the whole server managed route for all users.

5) what would the shoping list look like?
like my xmas lists :slight_smile:

6) May sound stupid, but does the server run 24/7 or is there a way to power on and off on demand?

Not sure about PC’s but on my Mac (I’ve got a Mac mini running as a server) you can schedule on and off times - all depends on how energy/cost concerned you are and how much of a pain would it be if you wanted to watch something when the server is off and you had to go and switch it on. I used to leave my mini on but it’s startup time is very quick so i only fire it up when i need it now. Plus the form factor and noise means it’s small and quiet enough to be behind the tv with a couple external drives plugged for extra storage. So easy access.

NAS boxes normally have a lower power consumption than a server box and most people tend to leave these on 24/7.

Cheers Nivaq, sounds like I may need to save some cash or mug Santa on the 24th!!! Hmm, wonder if a promise not to mug him in exchange for a 4TB server under the Christmas tree…

I use a Linksys router. If you have cable modem form Virgin Media, a basic £40 Linksys router has 4 Ethernet ports for servers, PCs etc, wireless for remote devices and a connection for the Cable Modem to connect to the Internet. The devices on the cabled Ethernet ports and the wireless connections are on the same network so can see each other. If you have Windows 7 just set the same home group name and password for all the computers.

Something like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-RangePlus-Wireless-N-Broadband-WRT160N/dp/B0018PW4PK/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1294265183&sr=1-2

If you have ADSL then there’s a similar device but with a built in ADSL modem. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-Cisco-WAG120N-Wireless-N-Router/dp/tech-data/B00318BN54/ref=de_a_smtd

I wouldn’t bother with a server, just get a NAS box and plug it into the router. Most of them these days support streaming video, photo storage, iTunes etc.