Serious accident at the Ace last night

I guess because the Ace is what it is (our tribal meeting place :slight_smile: ) - people concentrate more on making a stylish exit (fast or on one wheel) rather than employing the usual motorcycle survival basics on a busy road - hence accidents like this.

Glad that it sounds like the person will be ok.

here’s a question for mark wilsmore to consider: does he need to push for speed bumps outside of ace to be installed to save his place??? our place at the same time…

I am very sorry to hear of this, and wish the rider a speedy recovery.

I am often tempted/ wish that I that I could do a great big wheeelie on my exit from the Ace, however I am normally far more worried about everything and everyone around me and ride out quite slowly.

I have heard that on some of the car nights the antics are a lot worse than friday night

I doubt that would happen TBH.
Public, non-sanctioned stunting is part of the ‘dangerous’ reputation that Mark/ The Ace Cafe has sought to preserve and venerate by pasting newspaper reprints on the walls. Without that kind of atmosphere, he wouldn’t do such a roaring trade.

Fair play mate. I’ve only been riding for 3 months now and do get carried away. I learn something new everyday. What your friend/the rider did was fine. He did not cause the accident but was involved in it. My case of “when and not if” is not a P!ss take at his ability as a rider. I’m certain that he is a very acomplished rider. It is directed at the fact that it pretty much will happen at some point in your life. It is the circumstances around you that will add to the likelyhood of it happening. Unfortunately the circumstances on a Friday night at the Ace raises the chances through the roof. Don’t even let me get started on the scooters that run around there stunting.Again… it was no dig at the rider. I hope he makes a speedy recovery and gets back on a bike in the spring/summer. Best wishes to him.Jaime

its a shame when accidents like this happen, it sounds like neither party involved was being totally stupid. I have seen some impressive stuff outside there, but no matter how skilled some of those guys are doing wheelies, stoppies and rolling burnouts arounds buses is a mugs game.

It really is only a matter of time before something serious does happen. If anything a crash like this, which sounds like a bit of bad luck more than anyone being a total nob, highlights how bad things could be for someone who really is pushing it!

I hope both guys recover and get back on the bike!

I can’t see that being comparable with Hanna’s report of the accident. One vehicle pulled across the path of another. These things don’t just happen. Someone was totally stupid.

Thanks for your reply Jaime,I understood what you meant first time. I don’t know either of the riders involved. I didn’t think you were having a dig. I just meant to say please don’t become fatalistic about your risk of having a collision. No matter how hairy it gets, just keep your wits about you and avoid all the $hit. Get some quality instruction as often as you can afford it and avoiding $hit should get easier. :wink:

If we all drove around all the time like we were on our driving test, then the vast majority of accidents wouldn’t happen.

Could you therefore argue that it is a lack of application of knowledge, rather then a lack of knowledge that causes accidents?

Re speed bumps, quads scooters mx and supermoto bikes would be very pleased! Definitely get more accidents…

Oh and I don’t see the Royal Mail trucks welcoming that either!

Anything that might slow down Royal Mail trucks has got to be a good thing, surely :smiley:

most of serious accidents at the ace are actually high speed wheelies, speed bumps would take care of them.
i still believe that proper slow speed wheelies, rolling burnouts, do’nuts and other slow speed, but very difficult tricks, are much safer (esp. on spectators) and could be done inbetween speed humps.

you should be banned for that kind of anti-biker talk

thats the very kind of nanny state we all criticise, right?

yeah, put some speed bumps on that’ll stop them!

instead of considering educating people not to think in a certain way in the first place (which by the way saves loads of money too) we try to put obstacles in front of them to make them stop doing stupid things.

btw, speed bumps will just make a hell of a challenge for those who want to show up anyway! :smiley:

i was being nice, trying not to get involved in the whos to blame argument, 2 wrongs and all that.

come off it mate! from what i remeber wlodek is pretty handy at wheelies etc;):smiley:

Ace own the cafe not the road! if there was never any stunting outside ace isnt wouldnt be the same really, i dont think.

the madness of a friday night is part of Ace, those taking part know what they are risking, those that stand IN the road spectating also know the risk, if they dont then they are thick as sh*t.

give it a few months and you watch…speed bumps

if it happens it happens, i been goign up ace for about 3 years or so now, this year has seen more accidents than any other time that i have been going up there.

All good then :slight_smile: I am looking at getting the advanced course done as soon as the funds allow. I always wantede to do it but am still recovering from the initial payout of bike and gear.soon though :wink:

If you serious about that Jaime you might want to look at a time when the police are running a Bikesafe in conjunction with IAM.

The Bikesafe costs £50 and membership of IAM costs about £140, however, if the police are doing a joint event, you get £50 cash back when you join IAM after doing a Bikesafe.

So basically a full bikesafe for free or £50 off the price of membership for IAM.

These figures were taken from an event at the weekend, where the Bikesafe was also free, albeit a shorter version, but you still got the £50 cash back. Once you are a member of IAM there are many advantages to getting good and consistent instruction, which is perhaps better then one-off lessons.