Sell up or keep it?

Sell it if you can ; the bike isn't a one-off, so you'll be able to get another one just like it (its not like you've painted it orange or anything). Go the CC/Loan route only if you have to really. What's your industry of work? Abzero
Valid point here mate and that's my thoughts. CC route is to keep the bike and go traveling.
Sell it if you can ; the bike isn't a one-off, so you'll be able to get another one just like it (its not like you've painted it orange or anything). Go the CC/Loan route only if you have to really. What's your industry of work? Abzero
Valid point here mate and that's my thoughts. CC route is to keep the bike and go traveling. JAX
also thinking you need to make sure you get a good price for the bike - and if you try and sell to quickly you might lose out.

Min I’d want for her is £4.5k 

Sell it

The bike isn’t a one off its a bike just get another one when you have the funds

no bike is worth getting into dept for

Sell it

The bike isn’t a one off its a bike just get another one when you have the funds

no bike is worth getting into dept for

Wise
My thinking as well.

Hey JAX.  If you know that you can get another job quickly, and the financial debt you build up on your credit card can be quickly paid off, then I don’t see a problem with keeping the bike and enjoying your trip abroad.  Yet as Wise’s comment above is indeed, wise.  In your shoes, I’d a) clean them thoroughly, then b) go out and get another contract/job asap, in your shiney shoes.

The safest option is to secure yourself financially.  Remember that acredit card is the most expensive form of money you can borrow.  Not paying it off quickly can have anyone in pile of problems quickly.

Best of luck with this.

Sell it, do not get a CC without a solid job.

Hey JAX.  If you know that you can get another job quickly, and the financial debt you build up on your credit card can be quickly paid off, then I don't see a problem with keeping the bike and enjoying your trip abroad.  Yet as Wise's comment above is indeed, wise.  In your shoes, I'd a) clean them thoroughly, then b) go out and get another contract/job asap, in your shiney shoes.

The safest option is to secure yourself financially.  Remember that a

credit card is the most expensive form of money you can borrow.  Not
paying it off quickly can have anyone in pile of problems quickly.
Best of luck with this.Aceman

Thanks buddy 

As others have said, bite the bullet, sell the bike.

It’s the start of the ‘season’, so if you believe the nonsense you should get a better price now, rather than later. 

Avoid the CC route, since your bank won’t touch you with a card or loan, the chances are any CC will carry a pretty steep rate. Factor in all the foreign currency charges from a jolly abroad, ongoing running costs of keeping the bike and risk of job hunting taking a little longer than anticipated, you could easily find yourself up shit creek, with a card escalating with interest and repayments getting trickier and trickier. It would be better to sell a bike now at leisure, rather than forced to later sell cheap in a hurry to first buyer (especially if you’ve been forced to skimp on servicing due to lack of funds), just to meet a few repayments and still leave you with a chunk of debt. 

It’s the start of the ‘season’, so if you believe the nonsense you should get a better price now, rather than later. 

Avoid the CC route, since your bank won’t touch you with a card or loan, the chances are any CC will carry a pretty steep rate. Factor in all the foreign currency charges from a jolly abroad, ongoing running costs of keeping the bike and risk of job hunting taking a little longer than anticipated, you could easily find yourself up shit creek, with a card escalating with interest and repayments getting trickier and trickier. It would be better to sell a bike now at leisure, rather than forced to later sell cheap in a hurry to first buyer (especially if you’ve been forced to skimp on servicing due to lack of funds), just to meet a few repayments and still leave you with a chunk of debt. 

Arfa
Very well said - thinkI'll be selling it now that you've highlighted a few scenarios I didn't consider. 

Contact the recruiting vultures and start interviewing. You may secure a new job faster than you think then you won’t need to sell the bike or run up a credit card. Updating your Linked in profile and registering at Monster.co.uk usually gets them calling.

Arfa
of cause; you could get a normal CC, pull out the full credit line - then balance transfer across to a 0% card (like the tesco 0% fee card.) Then have basically a 0% loan for 25 months or so. ;) - or get an Amigo loan (50% APR, although the business model for this seems weird...), or maybe a Wonga one (4,000%?) 

I jest since selling it is best option :wink:

Sell it, get something exotic when you’re back and take it home with you.

Can’t go exotic mate - insurance is nuts

Or ramp yourself up with loads of debt and have loads of fun. Knock every single creditor and go back to NZ leaving debts behind :slight_smile:

Haha mate how much debt do you have?

While you’re working your redundancy notice you should find it easy to get time to interview for positions, and at least be the sorts of people the recruiters can get spamming with. I’ve no idea what you do, but it’s probably not inconceivable that you find a contract (or permanent position) starting a month or two from interviewing. Depending on where you’re going and what you’re doing, you could interview from abroad, too.

I only owe £3k on my car and my mum £50

Sell it, no point going travelling knowing something you aren’t using is eating into your enjoyment funds. You’ll only gain a few extra months towards NCB on the insurance.
Also I’d also try and lineup work for when you get unless you’re travelling open-ended.

I vote sell it too. as said before, it’s not like it’s unique