Seeking opinion on Honda NC750X & Africa Twin

Yeah he’ll get used to the rev limiter pretty quickly. I’m sure he’ll get on great with it. The power is probably more usable more of the time.

The Main Problem I see with the NC Hondas being they do good MPG which is usless when it comes with a 14ltr tank

Well put it into perspective:

14L @ 65mpg = (14/4.55) x 65 = 3.1 x 65 = 202 miles.

KTM 990SMT = (19/4.55) x40 = 4.2 x 40 = 168 miles.

5 litres smaller 30 mile longer range, and I have spoken to people who have had 80mpg out of their 750x, which is about 250 miles tank range.  So the volume may be small the range ain’t.

Well put it into perspective:
14L @ 65mpg = (14/4.55) x 65 = 3.1 x 65 = 202 miles.
KTM 990SMT = (19/4.55) x40 = 4.2 x 40 = 168 miles.
5 litres smaller 30 mile longer range, and I have spoken to people who have had 80mpg out of their 750x, which is about 250 miles tank range.  So the volume may be small the range ain't. Kevsta

my F800 is knocking out roughly 65mpg @ 16ltrs = 230mpg

I have got it a lot higher on the MPG but not commuting

I’ve spoken to people haven managed to get 55mpg commuting out of their NC

I yearn for 200 mile range…

I yearn for 200 mile range...
Serrisan
I do miss the range as well.  Going from the TDM to the SMT knock 100+ of the range, but the KTM is lighter, and far more fun, which is nice.

I get 200 miles + out of my bikes tank commuting.  Averaging 56mpg with the CBF500. Works for me with a 19l tank.

The Main Problem I see with the NC Hondas being they do good MPG which is usless when it comes with a 14ltr tank
Wise
The 2016 onwards NCX ups the fuel economy slightly over the previous versions and over 80mpg seems to be the norm going by various online reviews and videos.  Fuelly users of this model are reporting an 81.3mpg average...  That's 250 miles out of a £16.10 tank-full (at £1.15 per litre).

Well booked a test ride for the NC750X for this weekend. They only had the DCT version. As I’m going to p&h, I’m also going to look at the V-strom but will have to book that in when I know how my day is going…

^^  I’m going to get another test-ride in on one.  Dealer says to come in on a weekday and he’ll give me the bike for the full morning so I get a proper feel for it.  When I bought my Tracer it was that or the NC…  and I feel I might have made the wrong decision :(    The Tracer is a good bike, but at 6’3" I feel I look too big on it, and the build quality is a bit disappointing. 

Be interested to hear your opinions after you’ve ridden it Serrisan.  Dealer told me I’d need a full morning or afternoon on it to properly get a feel for it.

Will report back. I’m quite lucky that from P&H, the road back to my house (and back via another road) is ideal as it tests motorway, twisty, slightly poor surface, even an arched bridge for a jump and a bit of town riding. All within an hour test ride :slight_smile:

I’m going down the ‘practical’ route at the moment as I need a bike mainly for commuting again. With the helmet storage and the fuel consumption, the NC seems to hit all the right buttons.

Plus, it is a Honda… :slight_smile:

But all will depend what I end up getting for my KTM and what savings I have… trying to avoid taking out a loan, having just repaid the car off… 

Chances are I’ll probably need a second test drive with my wife on the back to see how she feels on it.

My only worry is will I be able to see past the DCT  for a manual as that’s what I’m aiming for

@ Serrisan, you could get a good deal on a 2016 VFR800x at the moment, might be worth a look while your there, or give me a shout when your up this way, I have one now.

Based on prices on the website, They’d need to be 3grand off the 17 model to make it affordable… But I’ll have a look…

Will need to get rid of my bike first though…

Got my extended test ride today.  Put 155 miles on it  :)    When I left the dealer I zeroed the trip computer and after 60 miles of a mix of town and motorway (55-60mph speeds and a good bit of low speed filtering)  it said I was getting 19.8 miles p/litre.  Then I stuck £12 of fuel in it and went for a ‘normal’ run, ‘making progress’.  95 miles of that and the computer said 18.3 miles p/litre. 

I don’t know whether the computer is accurate or not, but that equates to 90 mpg followed by 83 mpg!!!

I liked the engine.  Short-shifting up through the gears and it really moves, but pop it in 6th at 40 mph and it will happily trundle along and pick up no problems when you wind the throttle on… it’s a very flexible engine and very forgiving.  It’s not a bike that excites or one that has ‘character’, but as a daily ride I don’t think there’s much else out there to touch it.  It makes the CB500X look like a toy.  I’m not rushing to trade my Tracer in, but it’s a very strong contender for my next bike. 

They are underestimated bikes, and if you are a commuter and want something A to B, unless you go scooter there really isn’t anything to complete with it.

You can go off some people. I’ve been following this thread and stirrings and yearnings are setting in to replace The 250 ;-(

But with what, another Honda?

It’s gonna be my bike of choice when I move to Bedfordshire soon, that or BMW F800GT

It's gonna be my bike of choice when I move to Bedfordshire soon, that or BMW F800GT
Curtis
I have the F800 ST and its a good bike for commuting once you get rid of the asthmatic exhaust & I changed my screen from the touring screen to a S screen because the front felt vague on the motorways & the back went light

the downside with the S screen is wind buffeting which I dint mind.

the ST has its cat in the exhaust the GT has it in the headers early headers fit later bikes  

I get between 65 & 70mpg in London & on a steady run it averages between 75 & 80 mpg on a 16ltr tank

if you can avoid getting one with tyre pressure sensors they can be problematic

My 2012 NC700S never gave me below 70 mpg even when riding hard. That bike had after market silencer and an Arrow decat pipe as well as a K&N air filter. Gave the bike more urgent acceleration compared to stock. Was a great bike and should of kept it just for longer trips… got about 180 miles between fuel ups most of the time

With the mileage I’ll be doing the f800 is looking more favourable with those figures as it’s belt and not chain. Even with a scottoiler I’d still be having to do chain maintenance way to often for my liking