Security Cameras

Has anyone here got any on their property that they recommend?

Someone tried to nick the copper pipes from next door last night, and I have some that run on the outside of my house too, plus having a new bike parked on the drive has swayed me towards getting some cameras fitted.

There are a few on Amazon (and today is prime day, so they are half price), but im not sure of their quality etc…  For instance, I want to be able to view footage via my mobile ideally, and I only want it to film when there is motion, need a hard drive…

So anyone had any experience?

…copper pipes on the outside - you mean gas pipes??? They must be desperate for the scrap metal.

No idea on the camera front - but do check about the legalities of placement.

something like this would do what you want http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222048825047. bear in mind most of them don’t come with power supplies though, they’re sold on the basis of being plugged into a PoE switch

Yep there must be a few desperate people about…they basically yanked at their outside water tap and bent the pipe, so it was p*ssing water everywhere.

The house is being renovated (probably for re-sale) so nobody was there - I tried to get to the water stop for them but failed…

I have some copper pipe running on the outside of my house for the gas, so concerned they might return for that (its all ligit and been signed off).

me_groovy - I actually found some pretty decent (by the looks of it) one on amazon, but just have no experience of how good products like this are on there.  My local security firm seem to think they are a bit poo and that theirs are excellent - they would want to be for £600 fitted!

My parents have some that were off eBay, I’m popping over there later so will have a look. They have them connected to a monitor in the bedroom as well as an app you can view the cameras at any time and they are pretty good

Yep there must be a few desperate people about...they basically yanked at their outside water tap and bent the pipe, so it was p*ssing water everywhere.

The house is being renovated (probably for re-sale) so nobody was there - I tried to get to the water stop for them but failed…

I have some copper pipe running on the outside of my house for the gas, so concerned they might return for that (its all ligit and been signed off).

me_groovy - I actually found some pretty decent (by the looks of it) one on amazon, but just have no experience of how good products like this are on there.  My local security firm seem to think they are a bit poo and that theirs are excellent - they would want to be for £600 fitted!

Redwez
Lol not them trying to get you to use them no?

Exactly!
I think I may go for the Amazon ones as they are £150 down from over £300 and reviews are decent

something like this would do what you want http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222048825047. bear in mind most of them don't come with power supplies though, they're sold on the basis of being plugged into a PoE switch me_groovy
TBH the specs look shit!

1.3mp camera 960P, think you will get what you pay for here.

I know maplins usually show theirs off so you can get an idea of the kinda quality… 

I would avoid “noname” cheap ebay cameras. They are a nightmare to set up and you will be lucky if all the features will work. Believe me, I’ve tried to go that way (got a couple collecting dust). Personally I would recommend Hikvision - you can get them for around £50 (oh it was before brexit, now £60) from China if you are not in a rush or get from official distributor locally with warranty and future firmware upgrades for double the price. They have models that have SD card slot, which means you won’t need a NVR to store all the footage. It connects to the internet so you can access video from your mobile phone, you can configure to send email alerts with pictures if any movement is detected etc. 

EDIT: removed links as they point to different models now.

swan do a nice set up and quite reasonable money aswel and can access from your phone on there App which is pretty kool 

swan do a nice set up and quite reasonable money aswel and can access from your phone on there App which is pretty kool  Big_D
Some of Swann IP cameras are just rebranded Hikvision.

Will look at Hikvision…as have been looking at Swans too.

Thinking for ease of set-up (meaning I could do it), maybe wireless is the best option…otherwise I might then have to pay someone to come and fit them…

These look half decent for price:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Swann-SWA-4D1C12-Professional-Security-Camera/dp/B00YSISMXC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1468332454&sr=8-3&keywords=swann+cctv

What do you want them for? Do you want a deterrent? Some evidence that can be used to help convict someone who is caught, or something that can actually be used to identify somebody?

Almost all CCTV is too low quality for the latter; it’s very rare to be able to use CCTV to be able to identify somebody unless you’ve good control over where they’re going (a corridor they’ll have to walk down or a button they’ll have to go and press or something). Normally it’s good for telling what some known intruder did, and occasionally getting a numberplate if you’re lucky.

as a deterrent, but also to see if anyone is sniffing around the bike or is on my property…for instance the scum who tried to steal next doors pipes, climbed over the side gate (even though I have a side light on all of the time which would have lit them up).

If I can identify who it is (aparently its often usual local suspects), then all the better!

Will look at Hikvision...as have been looking at Swans too.

Thinking for ease of set-up (meaning I could do it), maybe wireless is the best option…otherwise I might then have to pay someone to come and fit them…

Redwez
There is no such thing as wireless, you will still have to connect the power, which means drilling a hole in the wall anyway. So better go with proper IP POE camera as that means only 1 cable to run and if your broadband router is not anywhere close, you could use powerline adapters to avoid running network cable.
These look half decent for price:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Swann-SWA-4D1C12-Professional-Security-Camera/dp/B00YSISMXC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1468332454&sr=8-3&keywords=swann+cctv

Redwez
That is outdated analogue system...

hmmm good point regarding the power.

The search continues then…Didnt really want to fork out too much, but the decent gear looks like it will cost.

Well I gave you the links already http://www.aliexpress.com/item/This-is-DS-2cd2032-I-3MP-1080p-5-2-5-multi-language-version-english-cctv-camera/32473394709.html £58 from China. Takes 2-4 weeks to deliver. It is Hikvision camera. It’s not ideal, but for that price I couldn’t find any better options.To get it running you’ll need POE injector or power adapter and micro SD card. 

EDIT: it seems that seller changed the model since the time I bought it. The model I’ve got is DS-2cd2032F-I. So not sure if new model 2035-I has got SD slot anymore.

Sorry nails, missed that link completely! 

Ideally Im looking for a kit which includes everything needed, including hard drive/power adapters/2 cameras etc so I dont need to think to much about it.

Im pretty damn poo at tech stuff and diy, so if i get something I need it to be as simple as possible, or else it will take me weeks to get round to doing anything with it.

I have Swann cameras on my home bought from Costco .I recently had my van broken into and some tools nicked .There were three of them with there heads covered  so other than me having a video of my tools going i wound not spend to much as they have little deterrent value.