scottoilers

Looking for some advice on scottoilers,i may be making another trip to germany this year, so i thought it might be a wise investment as i covered 1500 miles on the last trip.Even though i lubed the chain after every days riding it was a quick spray while someone balanced the bike on the side stand.Just looking for recommendations really.

Just put “Scottoiler” in the search function at the top of the page and you will find about 10 threads on them.

or if you not fancy spending that much try a loobman ( put that into google)

thanks guys

i just got the Vsystem off gear for bikes for 50quid… intstead of the RRP @ £89…

Fitted it and works a treat… very happy.

The geezer at essential rubber said that a can of lube and some discipline is better, and they sell scott oilers. If you do get one that doesn’t mean you can neglect checking your chain, we’ve seen a few washing lines out on the scene because people assume they can ignore their chain once a scott oiler is fitted.

If you fit it inocrrectly it will p1ss oil all over your back tyre, which is great for burnouts but not a lot else.

You’ve just reminded me that I ordered one of these but not received it yet . . .

I went for this as it’s easy to apply a bit of oil but it can’t over oil and spill onto the tyre.

Well i decided to mix it up a bit when i installed my scottie…
I have the oil tube coming from the pillion lock-up… along the subframe, and made the feed onto the chain just inside my heel - i.e. so it drips on the side plate of the chain and runs onto the front sprocket…

Looks neat and no fling onto the rear tyre…
Just have to have a look when i wash it this weekend to see if there is a lot of crud being thrown forward… but my guess it will just burn off like any GT85 etc does when you first start the bike up after cleaning etc…

Will try and get some pics to show you… But i think it might be the way to go with scottie installs!

the best idea that i have seen (and i roam loads of forums :wink: ) is the one done by Steve on Hornets nest.

he had the brilliant idea of placing the on the front sprocket!! :w00t: all he did was drill a small hole on the cover (it was carbon) and voila!! no more dirty rear tire :wink:

Attachments

Almost identical to mine!
Although i have mine dripping onto the inside side plate of the chain 3 inches or so before the sprocket… rather than it dripping onto the runners…

But pretty much the same… as i said - just have to see in a couple of weeks whether it chucks a load of gunk fwd or if it just burns off and any grit residue can be easily washed away when cleaning etc…

But so far so good and looks SOOO much tidier - no-one can see i have a scottie on mine… whereas i think it wouldve looked v shyte if i had put it on the back…

Other alternative is that attachment you can buy off them that clicks on the chain itself and so lubes it with less oil / less fling - but i fail to understand how it can work well without getting knackered out v quickly - although im not sure how it works - so it may well work…

so did you drill the front sprocket cover?

pretty sure the hornets nest guy tarted it up even more with a braided hose and stainless fittings etc. really nice job! will try and find the pic.

i think they are a love/hate thing. i hated the one i had, more trouble than it was worth, fitted it to my dads VFR and he loves it.

no way in a million years i’d have that electric one with remote flow rate adjustment etc

really nice job!

No Pan - I made a crimp bracket out of the alu you get with it which is bolted to the bolt on the chainguard/hugger nearest the sprocket…had to drill the hole out to fit it.
This bracket holds the neater nib i made… and points it just inside the cover so it drips on the inner side plate of the chain just 3" or so before the front sprocket…

So same thing really… I just thought it better to be more horizontal to the chain/sprocket than vertically above it as the chain and sprocket will rise as the suspension compresses over bumps etc and in relative terms you have more margin for error if its horizontal… as any contact between the 2 will not snap the nib off…

that was my train of thought anyway…

that looks VERY nice indeed…

This info about postioning the dispenser near the sprocket is a really good idea. My scottoiler stopped running … so I opened up the valve … and then it started running OK…

Mines mounted under the chain cover, jst before the rear wheel… you have been warned… Mick will be moving it for me at my MOT.

:ermm:

feck! thats messy!

I’d check the positioning of the nozzle and the flow rate, that doesn’t really look normal. I have one, and am indifferent to it tbh, I still check the chain and lubing would only take an extra 5 mins ontop of the usual clean. I get a little bit of that pattern of splatter, but not even 10% of what you have there…

I agree. My tyre looked like that when first installed and flow rate not checked correctly.

3 years use and I get virtually nothing on rear tyre now, until oil build up on chain guard starts to drip…

Its been fine for 2 yrs or so, and I let the resevoir run dry one time. The flow stopped completely I started to open the flow up and got to about 50% open with no flow at all. So I opened the it up to say 80-90% in order to try to get the flow started again. Apparently letting the reservoir go empty causes this problem as you then have air in the system. Well this is the result of opening up to 80-90%. So I’ve closed it back down to say 30% again. I hope the flow has now gone back to normal.

Lesson learnt : dont forget and let reservoir get empty.

I was surprised to see just how much had gushed out!