Scottoiler's - who's got / had them?

Are these worth the money? Sounds like a really cool idea. How easy / hard are they to fit? pro’s / cons etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Sunny.

Hey mate. I have had one on my bike for the past 4 years. I didnt fit it as its seems a little tricky. Its brilliant and I have been able to do many more miles without adjusting my chain than I had with previous bike just using chain lube.

The one problem is they fling oil evrywhere over the rear wheel (not the tyre) and the mudguard etc! Its messy. I hate this and had a chat to the scoit oiler technical blokes at the BMF show and they swear that if you fit it with the tube dropping oil onto the outside of the rear sporket it doesnt fling oil but they lie!!

Still good though! I would rather have one than lube the chain. I have got 18,000 miles out of my chain so far and its in good condition and only taken a little bit of adjustment.

Cheers Terry. TOP man!

Nuts has it too…

Well worth the money… I agree with Terry though - the oil does seem to make a mess. But the plus side is that the chain requires much less adjusting…

The only problem I had with mine was that my chain kept chewing the plastic tubing which was delivering the oil onto the chain

(Might have had something to do with the fact that some cowboy at Carnell’s fitted it for me)

i’ve got one and its F-ing brilliant, i found that fitting a duel injector stopped it throwing a lot of the **** over the back wheel, the duel injector does both sides of the chain and is a much more sturdy unit than the standard one (they cost bout £20 i think and are easy to add to the scotoiler)

Oilers of any sort are worth it. I have the cheap version called Loobman. It isn’t automatic (Scottoilers are plumbed into the the fuel system and use the intake vacuum so work when the engine’s running) it’s just a plastic bottle you have to squeeze before you ride off to put oil into the tube and a clever double-sided head thingy delivers it slowly onto the faces of the rear sprocket from where centrifugal force moves it onto the rollers. It’s cheap, less than 20 quid, and it works, I fitted new chain and sprockets with the oiler 10,000 miles ago and the chain’s only needed adjusting 3 times. It is a bit messy but it cleans easier as it’s only cheap runny engine oil not sticky lube you’re trying to get rid of. Doddle to fit as well.

Because Scottoilers work off the engine they don’t differentiate between filtering in traffic, slow and fast riding. The really expensive oilers are the ones with sensors on the back wheel which deliver according to the number of times the chain has gone round so the rate of lube is constant. £££ though!

Because oilers lube the rollers, the sides of the chain still need looking after occasionally because the plates can rust if you don’t - not a problem but looks dodgy. Hope all this helps!

I just lube manually, one of my mates swears by them though…

His back wheel etc always looks grubby so I reckon thats the downside

Superb info…thanks guys.

defo needed for a commuter btu a bit over the top for som1 who uses there bike 2 times a week and lubes every other week…

I’ve got a touring scottoiler and I have to say, I do love it. Tis a bit messy but at least there’s no lack-of-lube induced panic sessions I seem to remember in enough time to fill my reservoirs back up!

I used to use a Scotoiler with the electronic timer, and on my R1 found it dificult to get the plastic tube to line up with the chain, and like some other replys found too much oil on the tyre, so took the bloody thing off. Now I just use the Scotoiler oil and oil the chain manually, at least the oils on the chain. I think it depends on what bike you have and where your able to install the kit and tubing.

As Anil said I’ve got the touring kit on my Hornet. I didn’t fit it, luckily it came with the bike. I think they are quite expensive for what they are but they are an absolute boon. Don’t need to bother checking and adjusting chain for months on end. I just know it is good. You just have to keep an eye on the chain. Make sure it looks oily. Whack it up when it is cold or wet and turn it right down when it is hot as the oil viscosity changes. Turning it right down will stop the messy back tyre syndrome. You need to balance between protection and floods of oil. It doesn’t look so pretty but its effective.

I fitted the standard one to my last bike, a Firestorm. It was quite tricky. The initial installation where I lay it flat under the seat failed as the top came off and leaked. I moved it forward slightly so it was upright next to the sub frame tucked away in the fairing and it was sweet. I had to get the vacuum screw installed by the dealer though (next to inlet manifold) when I had the bike serviced. When I tried the T piece in the fuel hose there was no suction. Maybe cos it was the 02 Storm with a fuel pump

Yeah, they are a good product. My boss who has a Fireblade also uses one. Saves lots of time faffing with cleaning and checking chains… still, you can buy a **** load of lube spray for the price of one of their kits. On the other hand if it extends the life of your chain, which I’m sure it does, you’ve saved money you might otherwise have to fork out for a new chain and sprockets. So it depends how much you use your bike really. Can’t see much point in one on a sports bike that only comes out for a few months in the summer.

I’ve got one with the Touring Kit fitted as well, no need to refill it for a long time. Fitted it myself and it works like a dream. I’ve got a feed to the front sprocket, so no oil on the rear tyre, or any mess. No adjustment to chain for a while either.

I had mine directed to the front sprocket on my Firestorm too. One thing you will notice, the side stand gets proper mankey as it get all the oil that collects inside the sprocket cover and leaks down. I used to stick some cardboard down underneath it when it was parked in the garage to catch drips.

great thing get one piss easy to fit

i took mine off after a couple of years. the arm that feeds the oil to the chain kept snapping off, it kept getting blocked up and generally it was a pain in the arse. i now use a good lube, and check it every week.

I have one on my commuter bike and can highly recommend them. I fitted it myself and was easy, full instructions come with it. I have done 35,000 miles in 2 years, and had one new chain fitted at about 27,000. Havent got one on my CBR, but when I come to change that, I will get one fitted to whatever bike I get.

Well worth the money, get some fling off, but nothing too bad, and with muckoff very easy to get off. I adjust it in the winter to increase the flow, and other than topping it up theres nothing to do. Really I would have liked the bigger resevoir as I do high mileage, the standard resevoir lasts for about 500 miles b4 u need to top it up.