School closed for the Euros!!

it is against the law to take your child out of school for a holiday, you can get in serious trouble if your child is off sick too much, but if you want to watch England in the euros that is perfectly fine.
Just got a letter stating the school will be closing early on Thursday to allow the children to go home and watch the football!!!
My 14 year old is having exams at the moment and her English exam has been rescheduled due to the match, but that doesn’t matter and she can miss really important maths and science lessons on Thursday to go home and watch a sport she has no interest in!!!

I will be on the phone to them first thing in the morning to complain!!!

Anyone else’s kids schools closing so the kids (or more likely, the teachers) can go watch the football??

Tell them, thanks for the offer but your daughter has no interest in football. However she would like to take up the school’s excellent new policy on sports time off to reserve her ski holiday for the 3rd week in January 2017 - that’s when the snow is best and the deals are cheapest.

Mine are all out of school now but the local primary school would close for the odd day here and there, it was as if any excuse was better than none. On one occasion the school closed because of heavy rain. Yes heavy rain, the worst of it was the parents didn’t know about the closure until they arrived at the school gates! The Headteacher explained that many of the teachers had phoned in because the rain was too heavy for them to drive to school! So due to a shortage of staffing numbers and with the childrens well being in mind the school was closed for the day.

We got to watch the games during class on occasion. My brother was tipped off during an exam that Ireland were through the group stages of the world cup by a teacher that was invigilating. Our school was a bit liberal like that.

My school lets me extend the Feb half term to two weeks for skiing as they see this as education and their attendance is good.

Makes sense - English footballers and fans are renowned for their superior intellects, who wouldn’t want their kids to follow such excellent role models.

Nice of the school to assume parents are happy to rearrange their work commitments with 2 days notice as well. 

well, I would have a talk with the principal. That’s a sad policy

Excellent. More promising footballers for us.

Well we used to not turn up to school when there was a big game on… different times and countries

Out!

Back in the 60s during Wimbledon fortnight the entire school would be sat cross legged on the hall floor and forced to watch tennis from start of play until home time. Have hated tennis ever since!

Tell them, thanks for the offer but your daughter has no interest in football. However she would like to take up the school's excellent new policy on sports time off to reserve her ski holiday for the 3rd week in January 2017 - that's when the snow is best and the deals are cheapest. Michael748
+1 

Very sensible decision. The alternative is half the kids/ teachers bunk off / throw a sickie.

But why assume that will happen and “punish” the rest of the school? They are moving an exam because of it and missing important lessons, lessons and exams that will shape her future!!

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a huge football fan. I am actually going over to France next week to watch the euros, so I’m not against the fact it’s football. I would’ve loved the chance to be off school for it, my issue is the way they can cancel school but impose stupid rules for parents when they need time off

What Michael said.
Alternatively, exchange your kid for one who likes football. Sorted.

Alternatively, you could always move to Scotland, they don’t seem to have this problem…

Anyone home schooling? A friend of mine does. One 8yo son. Says best thing they decided to do.

Tell them, thanks for the offer but your daughter has no interest in football. However she would like to take up the school's excellent new policy on sports time off to reserve her ski holiday for the 3rd week in January 2017 - that's when the snow is best and the deals are cheapest. Michael748
LOL...
Alternatively, you could always move to Scotland, they don't seem to have this problem.... Pat
lol.

I rang them up today to voice my opinion and asked how they thought it acceptable to send out a letter with a spelling mistake stating they are going to postpone an English exam!! They asked what i was talking about and sounded rather flustered when i pointed out we are not American so do not spell REALISE with a Z!!!