Saturday 1st May Mega Demo

it costs to park down your local highstreet though, and even when you go to landmarks and castles, etc on days out

Press relase from the BMF:-

Charging for Motorcycle Parking – All Eyes on Westminster

11 May 2010

Charging for Motorcycle Parking – All Eyes on Westminster

With Westminster City Council’s controversial scheme for motorcycle parking charges now going
before the High Court on 24th June, the 80,000 strong British Motorcyclists Federation is warning
that failure to halt the scheme could result in the end of free motorcycle parking across the UK.

Although currently only affecting Westminster, the bmf say that with other Local Authorities across
the country watching the situation closely, motorcyclists could soon be faced with the nationwide
rollout of parking charges.

A strong supporter of the ‘No To Bike Parking Tax’ (NTBPT) campaign from its inception, the bmf is
now calling on motorcyclists nationally to support the NTBPT legal challenge fighting-fund.
Currently standing at some £30,000, the fund needs at least another £20,000 to meet the expected
minimum legal costs of £50,000 (see http://www.notobikeparkingfees.com/fighting-fund/ to
donate.)

The legal action, brought by NTBPF, has gained massive rider support in London but if NTBPT lose,
the bmf say that many councils across the UK, possibly starting with Birmingham and Manchester,
will bring in similar Pay by Phone charges for motorcycles. If this were to happen, the Tax Payers
Alliance have calculated that annually, it would cost the UK’s motorcycling community a staggering
£93,000,000 in parking charges.

Commenting Chris Hodder, the bmf’s Government Relations Executive said: “Let’s be clear, the
stakes are high. It’s not an understatement to say that the only reason other Local Authorities
haven’t followed suit yet is that they are waiting to see what the outcome of this case is. If we don’t
overturn the scheme in the courts, this could spell the end of nationwide free parking for motorcycles. We need motorcyclists to donate now or we could all lose out.”

Note:
In backing the ‘No To the Bike Parking Tax’ (NTBPT) campaign, the bmf point out that where public
transport does not serve a commuter’s needs and cycling is not a practical option, motorcycles and
scooters, especially for low paid key workers, provide the ideal solution. Motorcycles do not cause
congestion, are able to filter through traffic congestion and when parked only take one eighth of a
car parking space. They are also environmentally friendly, comply with European emission limits
and, coupled with their ability to avoid dense traffic, pollute far less than slow moving four-wheeled
traffic.

Ends

Issued by Jeff Stone: t: 0121 709 1040 m: 07802 763094 e: [email protected]
Details on this and other BMF activities can also be found on our web site:
www.bmf.co.uk

Dates for your diary:-

• Every Wed Morning protest ride. Typically 8am from Villiers st and then Trafalgar Square
  • Sat June 19. One lap of the M25.

Are they going to start charging for parking on the M25? This is getting out of hand.

So are you riding en masse round and round Trafalgar square for an hour tomorrow or parking there. If you’re riding round and round presumably I’ll be able to just filter round and past you?

riding around TS, and yes you will be able to filter past us.

Also the M25 rideout is a show of force to the government and any other councils thinking of charging for parking that maybe the bikers shouldn’t be messed with, this will hopefully make national news, at a time when people have lost faith in their government and when our government also tries to pass legislation without thinking we will put up a fight.

:smooooth:

jbond are you like every mp and ignore the questions you cant answer? back on page two i put forward a question can you enlighten us on this please.

well a lot of people have to pay for permits for their vehicles outside their houses and this is also a pain for people visiting their friends when they need to stick a spare permit on their cars. The prices will go up and up, maybe £8 a day seems a bit far fetched now, but say that in 10 years…

Yet another reason i chose to live out in the sticks, along with the better roads and less traffic, cheaper Poll Tax and peace and quiet of an evening, cheaper house prices…the list goes on and on;)

These demos generally have a negative effect!!! I personally can’t see the point, I guess if you’re retired with nothing better to do, then crack on!! My time is precious to me, so I won’t be attending this demo or any others!!!
I’d gladly pay £3-5 for a days parking, as long as they provide some sort of anchoring point :smiley:

I had the joys of westminster parking yesterday.

sent text twice no confirm so had to call and eventually it went through and took my CC but wouldnt accept my CCV number. So on a whim used an expired card and it worked…what a great system. No anchor point, no allocated space …really enjoyed that.

Watch out though- Congestion charging is coming to a town near you soon. Tories have been promising to introduce it in Croydon for instance, as part of their ‘environmental policy’… and road pricing is likely to be back on the agenda too.

sorry ricky they dont give you nothing for the £1 a day and its been 2 years… dont think you would get any more for £3-5 a day either…

At the risk of getting dragged back into something I’m not that interested in … isn’t the above statement, stated as a plus point, a bit hypocritical - when run alongside:

Are you now happy to be jammed in a bay to only take up an 1/8th of a car space?

so why cant we have spaces painted like thay do in France, they may not get 8 but will get at least 6 to space

and when you are paying for it, I would expect my own space minimum, not to be fighting for it