Sat Navs in France

I may be wrong (and I frequently am) but I was under the impression that in France a SatNav that shows static speed cameras are still allowed. It’s SatNavs that detect radar traps that are a non-non…

Ummm… maybe not, but TomTom seem to have it covered:

New Danger Zones service in France

What do I need to do?

If you have a device that is supported, you need to connect your navigation device to TomTom HOME orMyTomTom and do the following:Download the new update that activates French Danger Zones on your navigation device. [ show me how… ]Download the one-time free download of a French Danger Zones file. This is for everyone even if you don’t have a subscription to the Speed Camera service. [ show me how… ]How does it work?

In France, all types of speed camera locations and accident black spots are now reported using a new service: Danger ZonesSpecific locations are not available and a Danger Zone icon is shown instead.The length of the zone depends on the road type at the current location and can be 300m/2000m/4000m.The location of the speed camera, if any, in that zone is randomised.In future, Danger Zones provided by the French government (Zones de Vigilance Accrue) will be included in our database as they become available.Useful tips

The only speed limit indicated is the one from your map. It can be incorrect if the map is too old and needs updating.If several cameras are close to each other, the warning can be merged in a single longer zone.The reporting of Danger Zones is still possible and legal but the location will be randomised for all users. TomTom appreciates the continued community-based reporting.Danger Zones are only available when driving in France. The TomTom Speed Camera service works as normal outside of French borders. This applies if a route goes across French borders.If you drive without a route planned, the performance of the Danger Zone alerts may decrease.The service has been renamed to Danger Zones in the Services menu on your device. However until your device has a GPS fix and knows it is in France, the menu may still refer to Speed Cameras.

The law changed early this year. It is illegal to have any device in France that shows speed camera locations (although presumably a map with them plotted is OK). In a compromise prompted by France being the world leader in speed camera warning technology is to allow the warning of areas were there is danger and there may be a camera!

I wouldnt worry one bit about it mate. Theyre hardly gonna deport you and summons you back. I travel regular accross France and no problems what so ever. Only problem with riding in France, (and the roads are fantastic), is that the Garmin cant stop bleeping all the time for some reason.

Its a good reminder though not to ride over 110 in the rain and 130 in dry, not sure what conversion is from mph to kmh but think its roughly 1:1 so happy days apart from cost of petrol.