Running in period

Well, just a thought…

No offence

Reasons for not?

Reasons for not: The manufacturers insist on a running in period.

I’ve read the thread, and a shed-load of other opinion based stuff on line. Lots of different opinions as to which method is best, but I can’t seem to find an explanation of the physics that’s going on.
I understand that when bores were drilled out by Mr Perkins on his pillar drill with a woodbine in the corner of his mouth there was a need to carefully marry the cylinder and piston. I guess taking it easy initially was to prevent friction between inaccurately manufactured parts until they had bedded in.
I don’t think that can be true of modern engines, so what is physically happening in a modern engine while the ‘running in period’ is going on?
And why for such a long period? I’m not questioning that running it in hard makes a difference to the engine in the long term, I’m struggling to understand how and why.

very interesting points.

i thought the running in was important for a different reason, getting accustomed to your bike. especially for less experienced riders. apart from that, i would love to hear the technical reason for it.

I do not think there are any reasons for it these days , we take delivery of many brand new machines at work with zero hours on the clock , they come fitted with DPF attatched , they must be run at full revs all the guts all the time or they clog up ,they also get thrown out on hire to peeps who do not give a turd … So from new the engines get thrashed as hard as they will go from stone cold at zero hours . Courier systems take delivery of fleets of brand new bikes , i know the workshop manager … I asked him about how they run them in …They don’t , they just give em to a rider and send him to work . The bikes do monster miles and survive just fine engine wise even with no fucks given treatment …crash damage unlubed chains and scoured out caliper pistons are another issue .

“running in period”…

C’mon MODS why isn’t this disgusting sort of filth banned… this is a family forum… for chrissake…

I know nothing, but:

First 75 miles no more than 6000
then upto 300 miles 8000 on occasions
then upto 500 miles 10000 on bursts but only 3/4 throttle
after that its good to go.
Also do a few 3/4 throttle then shut off and then the same again, this so called helps the piston ring bed in.

R