Right foot down?

Hi guys.

I did my CBT on a twist and go.

I’m currently riding a Suzuki GP100, which is a geared 98cc motorcycle. Didn’t do a gear conversion course, or have any lessons, I just taught myself on my mates geared bike.

When I did my CBT we were instructed to always put our left foot down at stops or junctions, but I’ve noticed now that I’m on the road that most riders of geared motorcycles put their right foot down and keep their left up by the gears.

I’ve tried it myself and it is more comfortable. Especially as with my bike it sometimes seems that I’m in first, but I’m actually in neutral, and the neutral light just hasn’t come up. So it’s nice to be able to correct that quickly and then pull away.

What is the correct practice?

Cheers,
Ziggy100

correct practice is left foot down. Many riders flip to neutral at lights so they can let go of the clutch… because of this, sometimes they will leave their left foot on the peg so they can go into first quickly when the lights go green. but the ‘textbook’ answer is left foot down.

Whatever ur comfortable with… its not a big deal. Personally i put my left foot down, so i can keep my right foot on the rear brake.

Right foot down usually so you can quickly pop the bike in gear when it’s time to move away - apart from when you’re on an upwards slope and need the rear brake to prevent roll back on departure.

right foot always…

Thanks guys.

I’m just thinking about what the best habit to get into is. Not just for riding in general, but also for when I get round to doing my full license.

I assume they’ll mark you down for this?

I know they’ll mark you down for putting in neutral at the lights, right? You’re supposed to keep it in first, correct?

Right foot up - or you will fail for not being in full control because you have not applied the brake when stationary.

People on autos used to fail for having the right foot down until the DSA hammered it into their instructors that the rear brake is not by the right foot but by the left hand!

Same here.

If I’m in a rush, I just hold in the clutch.
You can usually read lights you use regularly anyway, so you know when to come off neutral.

Yea, you’ll be marked down for not going into the correct position (left foot down, right on brake pedal), as it gives a clear indication that you are stopped to following traffic because your brake light is illuminated.

As far as gears on the test go, I remember my instructor saying that it would be best just to stay in gear so that you’re ready to go rather than go into neutral and possibly get things wrong (and hold up traffic) when the lights change.

I usually put the left down so i can relax both hands (bike in neutral,back brake on).

As Garret said you can usually tell when the lights are going to change… either because of habit or by paying attention to the little green man :wink:

but it does also depend on your position on the road… Id rather put my right down if my left is in danger of being run over… :ermm:

I usually snick it into neutral, then left foot down and right foot on the brake so people can see the light while my hands get a rest.

But don’t forget the camber of the road - or things like patches of oil. They might dictate which foot you put down.

On your test, though, keep your right foot on rear brake and your left on the road. And hold the clutch in while sitting in first gear. :slight_smile:

I usually put my stand down and stand on my seat facing backwards doing a gyrating motion to the cagers behind me. :smiley:

You’re supposed to keep the right foot on the rear brake in case somebody bumps you in the back (front brake won’t be much good in that case).
So until you do your test, I would try to drill in the “proper” way and always put down the left foot. After that, it’s common sense really IMHO.

Hands behind your head? :smiley:

I’ve often noticed this on a ride out and come to the conclusion you can tell who is “Old School” and who are relatively newish to bikes by which foot is on the floor.

When I was in Italy recently on the BMW GS Beast I couldn’t get any feet on the floor:P:D:D:D

never really agreed with that one, i keep the back brake on if need to tell traffic behind i am stopped or to hold it on a hill…otherwise to be honest i want to be able to move away or let the bike take the hit and move forward if i get hit from behind (always checking my mirrors if no-one behind me when i approach the lights)

if a cage hits you with any big amount of force i’m not sure how slamming on your brakes will help you, wouldnt it be best for the bike to take the hit move fwd and then you brake to stop it moving too much into crossing traffic? holding the brakes through the impact may transfer too much energy into you and the bike?

a few members have had incidents like this, would be interesting to hear their opinions

Well holding the back brake isnt quite going to keep u ‘on the spot’ if u get hit… you will still move forward, and the rear will slide as u move forward. It applies some brake, but nothing intense like the front brake.

If you have a car in front of you, and you get hit from behind, your going to go flyling forward into it… instead of semi-flying forward into it, had you had the back brake on :stuck_out_tongue:

Fella, not too sure you’re supposed to be riding that without doing the appropriate cbt ???

There is only one cbt.

Yes it’s very odd if you take a cbt on an automatic bike you can go away and ride a manual bike without retaking it.

So which is which? :cool:

Recently schooled riders seem to put their left foot on the deck where as “Older” riders tend to do the opposite:cool: