Right decision?????

He does have 2+ years experience on a Scooter so at least should have a decent knowledge of traffic situations, but how to imagine that plus 130 ish BHP is another thing I guess.

Kingdan, just curious, but why did you decide to get the R1?

Each to their own and i wish you all the best… as others have said… bigger bike, bigger respect needed - just make sure you build your confidence/control up on it gradually…

And afterall - bike is a bike… can sell it just as quickly as you bought it…

You mentioned the CBR600 was v high mileage - did you sell it cos it was knackered? Im only asking cos imintigued at how quickly you get bored of a CBR600 after 2months! I would have thought if you could happily ride a scoot for 2yrs that a CBR600 would be entertaining for more than 2months! :w00t:

Personally i would have stuck with the CBR600 for a little longer… whilst it might not prepare you for all the thou has to offer… there is a frightfully massive gap between riding a scooter and a thou… and i think the sport 600s are very good for filling that void… in my opinion…

I say this as i did my test on a 125… bought a CB500, spent a year on that… (6months would have done!) and got a CBR600. I loved the CBR for the 1 1/2 i had it, and most importantly i learnt so much from it…

If someone watched me ride it wehn i got it and someone watched me ride it when i sold it… they would have thought it was 2 diff ppl with a lot more of a diff than 1.5yr exp separating them…

But all said and done, there is nothing to stop you gaining the experience i got from the R1. Just needs more self control… I think my main concern would be if you fck up on the CBR - e.g. rolling on gas too much too quick out of a nice speedy corner - the CBR600 would just give you a little twich where the R1s back ennd may well just break free before you know it…

Wish you all the best with it, and stay safe… I sold my CBR600, fannied around with VFRs and other bikes i didnt like very much, and have recently got myself a tidy blade that i have always wanted… and love it. It is very different, and yes i also will have to be careful not to be a silly pick on it whilst im getting used to it (and after!)

Would be interesting to know why you chopped the CBR in so quick tho… a lot of ppl are fond of them for a reason - they are cracking bikes. A lot of people like the R1s too mind! :wink:

Just under 60k on my 98 R1, never let me down, only the stupid rider… Have fun and take it easy!

You know as well as I do Afro that the problem doesn’t lie with traffic knowledge. The problems start when the road opens up and you discover how easy it is to get to silly speeds effortlessly. It’s also just as easy to get yourself into trouble too.

I very much doubt if 2 months is long enough time for a new rider to get anywhere near the limits of a modern supersports 600, let alone get bored with it.

It took me ages to talk a newbie out of swapping their 600 for a Gixer 750 recently, they had only just done their DAS and hadn’t come anywhere near to handling the 6.

All I will say is take it easy, good luck and seriously think about getting more training.

OMG! so many replies and thank you all. Ok, here is how it went today after I collected the bike.

I collected it about noon take it out for a ride then realised the headlight doesn’t work (spent 1/2 hr checking it to make sure I wasn’t too stupid and didn’t know where the light switch is and so on) and the rev counter going up and down on its own, so I took it back to the dealer to get fix it. when I arrived the dealer the light seem working now and the rev counter works like it should be :blush: so I looked like an idiot, so took it out for a ride again and the rev counter doing the same thing again, so took it back to the dealer AGAIN and this time they can see the problem, so I left the bike for them to fix it and hopefully it will have it back on mon or tue.

OK, here is my few hrs experience with the R1. I guess I am still very new to biking but the R1 actually felt quiet and lazy. if anyone know how 1000cc bike works please advice before I do anything stupid, I was riding it like I always do it felt normal and easy in fact. I was expecting a lot of power and torque but I didn’t felt it, in fact my old CBR6 gave more power, torque and noise when I was riding it. Why? Did I buy a **** bike? or I just don’t understand how liter bike works yet?

Dan

Theres a round twisty thing on the right hand handlbar called a throttle;):smiley:

I wanted to get myself a superbike for my 30th birthday present and I narrow it down to R1, GSXR1000 and CBR1000 but couldn’t find the GSXR or CBR in the a condition that I like and can afford, also looked up some magazines said that old R1 soon be classic so I though why not.

I did use the twisty thing but I just didn’t fell the power and torque, now I am worry, maybe I didn’t buy a rubbish bike. what should I do? where has the power and torque for mt future classic???

[quote]
ChunkyMonkey (25/09/2009)

Yep…true.

The rev counter going up and down is I think a problem with the Throttle Position Sensor…I’m pretty sure that’s how old Yamahas used to tell you there was a problem.

If I’m correct and that is the problem, then this could be the reason why you felt a lack in power…The electronics in the bike would likely limit the available power.

Its a long time since I worked on a 1st gen R1 or R6, so discuss with the garage, but believe me, a working 98/99 R1 is an animal.

Thanks Afo. it is good to learn something new. Do you think it is a big problem (throttle postion sensor)? Do you think the garage where I brought the bike from will be able to fix it? or should I take it to a Yamaha dealer? how much do you think it will cost to do so? and if the garage can fix it, how much I shoulda ask them to give me back? I traded in my CBR6 + £500 for the R1. Now, it seem I didn’t buy a rubbish after all :crying:

[quote]
Afro (25/09/2009)

It moved between 0-7000 I am sure.

Actually it could be another problem…

The rev counter going up and down is a diagnostic system that tells a mechanic what is wrong with the bike…

It works like this…The needle goes up and down, but where the needle stops (like 7000 revs), that number is the fault code. 7000 revs is the fault code for the EXUP Value.

Where does the needle stop on your bike?

If it is the Throttle Position Sensor, then that isn’t a major problem as that is cheap to replace.

Afro, I think you were right. I looked up on the net, i think 7000 means problem with the EXUP value and it might be the reason I didn’t fell any power or torque. Is that easy and chaep to fix?

Well its most likely that the EXUP is just gummed up as many owners dont give it the proper maintainance it needs…Which includes cleaning and regular greasing.

If not, then, you can pick up an EXUP valve off ebay for not a lot of money.

If you need a manual, I’ve got one I can send you…Just give me your email.

How much to fix ?

You’ve just bought it from a dealer, so tell them to either fix it or give you your money back!

Have you got this sorted out yet?

+1 Had I been in your shoes, I’d have stuck with the CBR, however if your sensible you will have many years fun with the R1 which you can ‘grow’ into, so your ability and confidence will increase as you get used to the bike. Also agree that some form of further rider training will be of great help to you.

I was thinking more of the phrase “imminent death”

I wouldn’t of made the decision you did but all the best to you and take it easy on the throttle.

Well each to their own right?..If you feel comfy with a 1L so soon, then all the best with it, and ride safely!

My first ever 2 wheels was an SV650 (never had a scoot/125/anything at all). I didn’t have the bottle to get a CBR600/R6, etc even though I loved the look of it.

I’m sure there’s people on here that probably even think an SV650 is a stupid first bike to get, but I gelled beautifully with it, and never had any control problems at slow or high speeds.

In my 5-6months of riding, I doubt I even pushed my SV anywhere near its limit, so how you wanted a change from a CBR600 after 2 months I have no idea.

But either way, R1’s are nice - you’re gonna have a lot of fun with that one im sure!