"Riding without Due Care and Attention"

This is what I got charged with today – what a bunch of complete b0ll0cks!!

Going up Picadilly towards Picadilly Circus, there are three lanes going towards the roundabout and one lane coming back, which is a bus lane. There wasn’t a bus in sight from here to the horizon so I used that lane to weasel past the gridlocked traffic and get to the front of the roundabout. EG: an OVERTAKING maneuver, as in: temporarily going into a lane heading the other way to get past an obstactle. Normal you might say.

Plod pull me over with sirens and lights and give me a right bollocking, won’t even hear me out and also throw in a free roadside MOT. Well, they didn’t find anything the f**kers, too bad – they were ITCHING to stick me with something else. Bald tire, non working brake light, ANYTHING. Well sorry, my bike may be ghetto but it’s in working order you douchebags. All they had left to do was hit me with a producer, and tell me I’d go to court.

So – riding in a bus lane I could understand. But Riding without Due Care and Attention? Three points on my licence for this maneuver, with is daily courier type stuff? F**K THAT!! I was riding with all the care and attention in the world and according to my judgment the maneuver was well safe at the time I did it.

In effect I’ve now lost all respect for the police in this country, they are a bunch of self-righteous, agressive, no-good losers only useful for shooting innocent foreigners on the tube and harassing people trying to earn a living for no good reason. Where were they when people’s bikes were being stolen? Probably lasering on the Embankment, or eating donuts. F**k the lot of them!

Well, they have to prove it first mate. Were they Traffic? Bad luck, it does sound very harsh for what we all do every day to make good progress.

Half a story has came out here -

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=51.509086,-0.136718&spn=0.001376,0.003573&t=k&om=1

Have a look a nice solid white lane all the way along the bus lane, you can zoom in and see it better if you want.

So basically you have completed an illegal move, been captured and are whining like a child about it.

as for this -

In effect I’ve now lost all respect for the police in this country, they are a bunch of self-righteous, agressive, no-good losers only useful for shooting innocent foreigners on the tube and harassing people trying to earn a living for no good reason. Where were they when people’s bikes were being stolen? Probably lasering on the Embankment, or eating donuts. F**k the lot of them!

You are a class one clown talking out of your rear.

No mincing your words then.

Why should I mate, if he’s came on here, posted half a story so it sounds a bit better for his benefit and then proceeds to call all coppers what he did. Someone calls me something and they’ll get just as good back - I would expect the same if I did likewise.

Trojan – OK, so I crossed a white line, so what? That can’t be more than a 60 quid traffic infraction.

But, Driving without Due Care? That’s three to nine points, up to 2500 pound fine and the type of stuff they give to people that cause fatal accidents by driving the wrong way down a dual carriageway.

I think it’s totally over the top, and the coppers were rubbish. I never ran a red light in my life, which cyclists do daily, I don’t yak on my phone while swerving all over the road in a 3 tonne Land Rover, which I see people do daily, and I get the book thrown at me for crossing a white line, OBSTRUCTING OR ENDANGERING ABSOLUTELY NO ONE?

Say what you want, I think the police are ******s and cowards in this country. The only positive thing I can say about them is that they haven’t beaten the **** out of me yet for a traffic infraction. (As they have in the U.S. a few years back.)

What I have done would have justified a stern talking to – OK. A 60 quid fine, fair enough. But not a Driving without Care… eh?

And as for all cops being crap… the exception validates the rule, so don’t take it personal. On the whole I have little faith as the police as an institution. Also maybe I should count myself lucky I’m not Brasilian – in that case they might have just shot me straight off the bike “for safety”.

been up there hundreds of times and also gone into oncoming bus lane…but never in front of the police . its a game of cat and mouse …sometimes the mouse gets away with things and sometimes he gets caught. put it down to experience. keep eyes peeled at all times for cameras and them cars with xmas lights on them. prob not going to do anything if your docs are all in order…

I am not saying you were wrong, just that you weren’t mincing your words

Trojan – OK, so I crossed a white line, so what? That can’t be more than a 60 quid traffic infraction.

Having just looked it up, it’s actually a 3 pointer and up to a £1000 fine.

But, Driving without Due Care? That’s three to nine points, up to 2500 pound fine and the type of stuff they give to people that cause fatal accidents by driving the wrong way down a dual carriageway.

Well I don’t know exactly what you’ve done, you’ve already been captured a treat only telling half a story, what else haven’t you told us ?

I think it’s totally over the top, and the coppers were rubbish. I never ran a red light in my life, which cyclists do daily, I don’t yak on my phone while swerving all over the road in a 3 tonne Land Rover, which I see people do daily, and I get the book thrown at me for crossing a white line, OBSTRUCTING OR ENDANGERING ABSOLUTELY NO ONE?

So, what you’re saying is that due to some other groups of people getting away with offences then you either shouldn’t be reported or you should be treated more leniently ? So when drivers see you getting just a talking too for crossing solid white lines and a bit of speeding etc etc then would they have a valid response in saying, I was only talking on my mobile, why not just give me a stern talking to ?

Say what you want, I think the police are ******s and cowards in this country. The only positive thing I can say about them is that they haven’t beaten the **** out of me yet for a traffic infraction. (As they have in the U.S. a few years back.)

Well, I ain’t no coward, I deal with people on a daily basis that would have you cacking your pants. Dunno what the swear words are but whatever they were did you expect a nice response from me. If you were to walk up to someone who isn’t constrained due to his job and the law and said that in person you’d probably get a smack in the chops. There is good and bad in every job, the police are no different but to lump them all together and be as abusive as you were, makes you out to have the same level of IQ as your age.

What I have done would have justified a stern talking to – OK. A 60 quid fine, fair enough. But not a Driving without Care… eh?

As I said, why should you get a stern talking too and a mobile phone using cage driver get reported. Are you advocating we ignore bikers who break the law in this country ?

And as for all cops being crap… the exception validates the rule, so don’t take it personal. Also maybe I should count myself lucky I’m not Brasilian – in that case they might have just shot me straight off the bike “for safety”.

Making silly statements like this shows your complete ignorance of the facts. Don’t make yourself look any more stupid than you have done already.

No worries mate. Was attempting to justify my rant to you.

Hey Trojan,

Didn’t know you were a copper - In truth - I feel misunderstood as a biker, to the majority of police - having been pulled more than a couple of times (random stops, my ass) … you can understand isthemechanic’s frustration, this could be his career on the line - over something that shouldn’t be illegal…

Without suggesting that bikers are above the law, there are a number of law, road marking conventions and etc that simply do not, and thus - should not apply to bikes, solid white lines in particular - imagine country roads, for one - where a car, couldn’t possibly hope to safely overtake - so they lay solid whities to make sure they know that… a bike could pop past on a one wheel and make it easily…

Bus lanes too, we all know that the white line (and i know there’s hatched lines entering, and leaving the lanes) but it’s legitimate (and you wouldn’t get pulled) for entering a bus lane within the allowed times, by crossing the white line.

Without offering generalisations - i would say car drivers get very frustrated by bikes making better progress and not sitting in traffic all day long - be they cops, or mere mortals…you dont know maybe the cops spent the morning scraping up a biker who misjudged something and they were trying to teach you a lesson before you got killed - maybe a biker stole and ate the cops kids way back… just take it on the chin and argue sensibly in court that it’s perfectly legitimate to cross a white line into a buslane for same-direction traffic, and many a time, a biker (i’ve done it myself) will cross into the oncoming lane where they can make steady and careful progress (highlighting that this means you have to ride like less of a nutter when you do get where you’re going)

The thing is Hambley, yes it may be his career on the line but that is something itsthemechanic can tell the magistrate (if it goes to court) and use it as mitigation.

On the other hand no one is perfect, we all do things we shouldn’t and not one of us is an angel. If you get caught then you just have to through your hands up and face the consequences - I’m in the same boat, if I get caught over a ton then in effect I could lose my job as well. If I was to speed over a ton, get caught, go to court get found guilty and then get disciplined … would it be the fault of the cops sticking me on or my fault for doing it in the first place ?

You say that crossing white lines shouldn’t be illegal, well no matter what we think of any law in this country it’s there and if you break it then you may get done. The only way to change laws is to lobby your MP that represents you and get it changed, you can’t just go out and break them as you don’t think they should be there in the first place.

Without suggesting that bikers are above the law, there are a number of law, road marking conventions and etc that simply do not, and thus - should not apply to bikes, solid white lines in particular - imagine country roads, for one - where a car, couldn’t possibly hope to safely overtake - so they lay solid whities to make sure they know that… a bike could pop past on a one wheel and make it easily…

Is this you talking from years of riding experiance ?

you break the law and you accept that you might have to accept the punishment

most of the time you get away with stuff, sometimes you dont, same for everyone

ps, dont argue with people with guns

Lol … mate, if I was wrong and it was pointed out to me then I’d give a full hands up and give profuse apologies, just the way I am … guns or no guns !

Not really an argument, more a differing of opinions voiced in a strong manner.

i have been reading though this post with interest, and as an ex-courier never a copper i would like to offer my own 2 bobs worth.

First of all you did, by your own admission ,you cross the line, may well be over the top but you were caught. Dont wanna get a fine then dont cross the line.

How the f~~k you can have a go at the cops for doing the foriegn geezer in the same breath is beyond my understanding, have you ever been in situation where you are hoping that cop does not get it wrong? Could you make that F##kin choice and go home and sleep at night?

Sleep well, in the free world.

I deal with people on a daily basis that would have you cacking your pants.

Unlikely mate. You don’t know where I’m coming from and what my past is like. And I’m not going to tell you too much on a public forum. But it’s unlikely I’m scared of any of the riff-raff you deal with. I probably got wasted with them back in the day, or at least did business with them

As I said, why should you get a stern talking too and a mobile phone using
cage driver get reported. Are you advocating we ignore bikers who break the law
in this country ?

Well, they ignore pretty much everybody else. When was the last time you saw somebody get pulled up for talking on the phone?

It’s also funny that police picks mainly on the poor. Yeah, screw that bedraggled biker on the 11 year old motorcycle who’s just trying to make a living. Slap him with a 1000 pound fine, he’ll have to work a month to pay for that. That guy with the Land Rover, yakking on the phone, let him go. He’s well rich and probably has connections anyway.

Making silly statements like this shows your complete ignorance of the facts.
Don’t make yourself look any more stupid than you have done already.

The facts:

• Stupid trigger happy cops shoot innocent person multiple times
  • Same trigger happy cops are put back on firearms duty today

Makes me scared of the regime we’re living under, but that’s a different story.

And on the word of cops in general: since generally the kind of people attracted to the law-enforcement business are people who enjoy cramming their perceived authority down other people’s throats, I don’t hold the police in high esteem. The people who this kind of job appeals to, and who sign up for it, are a**holes by definition. You can cover it up in this thin veil, this great noble cause of wanting to serve the public, but at the end of the day cops are cops because they get off on telling people what to do to compensate for their own feelings of inadequacy and/or disappointment of their penis size. How lame of an ambition to have for your life, to validate yourself by feeling superiour to others. Sorry to break it to ya, but I have no respect for your chosen “profession”.

My lack of respect for the police goes back to 1992 (when I was 15), when I held off a half a dozen wannabe gangsta turks who were kicking down the door to my flat in Germany with a 9mm Browning loaded with CS gas cartridges. I rang 999 as soon as it all kicked off, loading my clip with both hands while holding the phone between head and shoulder. After I got off the phone the door was about to go so I emptied the clip through the letterbox into the staircase when bits of wood were already flying from the door which was on the verge of splintering. It worked well, the turks couldn’t breathe and ran like hell.

The useless Police arrived FORTY-FIVE MINUTES LATER and what did they do? They said “uhh what do we smell is that tear gas?” and tried to do me for possessing the kind of weapon I had when not being old enough to do so. (You had to be 18 at the time.) Well thanks noble Police Officers, if I would have obeyed the law and relied on you to protect me instead, I would be half dead by now, my flat would be ransacked, and my computers stolen. Suuuuperb. (All the while the police response time in the rich part of town is less than five minutes.)

Since then I firmly believe the police is pretty much a useless institution at best, or a band of armed thugs who get their kicks f**king with people at worst, and nothing that’s happened in the 15 years that passed since has much changed my opinion about it.

Help me out ? The law says you cant cross the white line but on the A23 you can use the bus lane between Croydon and Kennington how do you do that without crossing the white line??

I’ll just say again what I said at the beginning, you are a class one clown talking out of your rear who isn’t even man enough to face the consequences of your own actions.

You have tried to warp the facts of what happened to you to gain a bit of sympathy, it backfired and you’ve been caught out. As a come back you’re now showing your ignorance of the facts involving a police shooting and the Officers involved, and stating that you did business with the people that I deal with on a daily basis ‘back in the day’ … pmsl … back in the day, how old are you … 28 / 29 / 30 … back in the day

You’ll need one of the Traffic lads to answer that one for you mate. I’m assuming that the white line is there to stop any traffic that is not alowed to use that lane to enter it ?

Pork Scratchin or Darrylj may be able to assist with that one.

How am I warping the facts? I said from the get go I rode in a bus lane. I’m not misrepresenting anything.

And, showing my ignorance? Even though this is quickly veering off topic I’ve followed the events regarding the Menezes case pretty closely. Armed police capped an innocent man, and later lied to cover it up (eg. they said he tried to jump the barries when he really had a travel card, they said he had a padded jacket when he never did etc.). These guys walked scot free with murder, the government offered their family in Brazil some palty sum (like 5000 pounds) to shut them up, and to top it all off they were put back on the beat with guns on their hips. If that doesn’t take the piss I don’t know what does.

Maybe you law-enforcement types internally believe that he was really Al-Quaida but searching up on the story on the Guardian web site or any other news outlet will show you the facts.

And, I’ll face the “consequences” of my own actions – If I can cross the line I can pay the fine.

You can laugh, but at least I’m not a cop Remember today’s pig is tomorrow’s bacon and when the day comes all you asshats will be first up against the wall along with all the parking wardens