Riding trousers

Hey folks.

Need a quick bit of advice.

I’m heading away on the new bike for a few days at the weekend (Somerset and Cornwall) and need some protective trousers. What do you guys wear? So far I’ve just been wearing regular jeans and boots with an Alpinestars jacket.

I have got old leathers from years and years back but they’re either a mismatch with my boots or are just leather jeans. And I need something waterproof.

What do you suggest?

Thanks for the help.

H

Do not wear normal jeans. If you come off they will only last a fraction of a second, and then the tarmac will start grinding away skin and flesh.

I wear both leather trousers and textile with my Rukka jacket. If the weather is going to be cold and/or wet then textile trousers. If the weather is mostly dry leather.

I do also have a pair of Draggin Jeans (kevlar lined specifically for riding) that I generally use in town on sunny days.

1 Like

Better mismatched than mish-mashed

Cheap fix for waterproof ness could be chuck some oversized waterproofs on over gear

Otherwise invest in some good textiles

4 Likes

I wear these jeans by Knox. Cordura denim and fully lined with aramid fibre. Hip and knee pads. The Knee pads are removable easily via a hidden external zip, which is really nice. They’re really comfy too.

Looking to get some leathers to zip into my jacket soon.

1 Like

My most used clothing has always been the goretex gear. I had leathers and jeans but the goretex gear is go to for long rides.

For very hot days though best bet is mesh jacket

For comfort when touring, leather is where it’s at. Carry a pair of cheap waterproof overtrousers for if it rains. Either from any outdoors shop or military goretex from ebay if you want the good stuff.

1 Like

Thanks guys, I’ll get some textile trousers before the weekend. Last wore my leather trousers 22 years ago!

My girlfriend has some PMJ kevlar bike jeans with knee and hip armour with waterproofs over the top. Might suffice for now but I think she will also need some textile trousers to match her jacket.

Really appreciate the advice. Look forward to meeting some of you sometime.

1 Like

I wear since hood jeans (kevlar lining) and carry waterproof over trousers. Great if you want to take off jacket (chained to bike) and walk around a town as still comfortable.

I’ve just bought these https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/457636 and am waiting for delivery. In my research, I recently found out was that some textile clothing that has a laminated outer shell is waterproof on the outside, as opposed to the outer layer of the jacket/trousers soaking up the rain, but an inner layer is waterproof and keeps you dry. The latter would take a long time dry out. That may be worth bearing in mind when you’re shopping.

1 Like

Thanks

I’ll have to have a look at those. My Draggin Jeans are getting a bit old now.

You can spend £1,000’s on motorcycle gear for my two penneth its not necessary you can keep protected, warm and dry on a budget.

Summer trousers - Textile/mesh motorcycle trousers with hip and knee protectors £60 J&S sale. They are not waterproof so in case of rain I carry a pair of waterproof over trousers £15 to £20 J&S. Winter trousers - Textile touring trousers with hip and knee protectors £75 JTS sale. Mrs NT keeps them waterproof by treating them with Nikwax every two or three years.

Same with jackets I have one for the summer and one for the winter, they are both textile touring style jackets which are longer in length so don’t ride up your back with elbow, shoulder and back protectors. As with the trousers Nikwax them every two or three years to keep them waterproof.

If you’re riding all year round consider a trouser and top base layer £20 Lidl/Aldi. If your riding all day and half the night consider a compression suit too.

2 Likes

Do Aldi still do the base layers? Had mine for 10+ years so could do with new ones.

Had mine for 6 or 7 years, keep looking but no see or I’m too late when the motorcycle gear or ski wear comes around. Always seem to be able to get the compression suits but the base layers have been elusive.

I’ve sworn by these for years https://www.jtsbikerclothing.com/motorcycle_clothing/clothing/mens_clothing/motorcycle_jeans/richa_hammer_2_ce_motorcycle_jeans/black/ with a mesh jacket for summer.

Cold isn’t something I struggle with.

1 Like

They look good.

What’s the deal with lined vs. kevlar in the weave so that it’s protective all over?

They have Kevlar within the denim for some abrasion resistance, then pure Kevlar lining that covers the more at risk areas i.e. hips, thighs and calves as well as having knee armour.

I recommend a visit up to JTS, they are a great company to deal with. And if you are heading up give me a shout. I’m not far off J20 of the M1 these days

The look quite good, let me know how they are. Although I thought you didn’t get your toy wet :joy:

There are three types of jeans, as in normal cotton jeans but for bikers: partially lined, fully lined, and single layer.

Partially lined — jeans with an inner aramid lining which protects the key areas, usually the bum, hips, and knees.
Fully lined — jeans with an inner aramid lining cover covers everywhere, though maybe stopping short of the ankles because that is where the podtction is provided by boots.
Single layer – jeans with aramid woven into them, so there is no inner lining.

Kevlar is just one brand name for aramid.

Fully lined jeans usually offer the most protection but are hotter and heavier, what with being two layers. Partially lined ones allow more comfort by sacrificing safety in the areas with the least risk and are cheaper. Single layer jeans are the coolest and the lightest, what with being just one layer. But compared to partially lines ones they offer more protection in some areas and less in others, as the extra layer of normal material also adds protection.

But overall safety cannot be judged by the construction, some partially lined jeans can be no safer than a regular thick pair you can get for £20. And a single layer pair of jeans can be as safe as a fully lined one if you are willing to pay.

To be assured of protection look for them being CE certified.

The relevant standard is prEN 17092-3 and items which pass testing are also given a rating from A to AAA. A bit like SHARP ratings for helmets, anything with an A rating is approved as meeting a minimum safety standard, but some items offer more protection than others. And some items may meet the older EN 13595 standard.

You can read details on the standards here:

Just do not confuse items which are only described as being CE approved as meeting those standard, as that may just refer to the included armour. If the jeans themselves are approved then the standard must be included on a label which features someone squatting between two tyres.

6 Likes

That’s good to know, I didn’t realised biking jeans are now CE approved. I better move into the modern age.