Riding on the Isle of Wight

Talking to some mates, said I fancied a weekend jolly to the Isle of Wight. Anybody done it, whats it like for riding on?

Pretty good really, national speed limit between most towns, military road along the south coast from Shanklin all the way round to the Needles is epic! However, surfaces are usually poor, and your clutch will get a workout on some of the more steeply inclined towns. Last time I was there I stayed in a B & B in Shanklin where the lovely owners let me park the Ducati on the patio round the back - the Edgecliff Hotel.

I did a circuit of the island on my 40th birthday and it has some nice scenic roads, especially the western coastal “Military” road which can be glorious when there’s a sunset.

Keep an eye out for the life size statue of Jimi Hendrix. If you travel clockwise you will find yourself face to face with him, as I did, and nearly crashed into the purple haze as he was somewhat unexpected!

As everybody sez the Military road is a must. At Ventnor go down to the bottom of the cliffs (left in the one way system) and then back up to the top of hill where the WW2 radar station used to be. Amazing views. Beware of all Nissan Micras they seem to be universally driven at 20mph max.

As everybody sez the Military road is a must. At Ventnor go down to the bottom of the cliffs (left in the one way system) and then back up to the top of hill where the WW2 radar station used to be. Amazing views. Beware of all Nissan Micras they seem to be universally driven at 20mph max.

The ferry’s a hefty £30 or so for a day return ticket. Might be cheaper if you book in advance though.

Love the place almost as much as I love Guernsey. (Pricey but still cheaper to get to.)

Get a map, explore the “white roads”. Just take it slow, it’s a sight seeing tour/voyage of adventuer, not a time trial.

Like everyone else said the military road is worth it, its a fantastic road which is often very well sighted with a cracking view

When I was there I thought I was going pretty well, certainly giving it the beans. A hayabusa, which I presume was a local, came past me like I was standing still. Didn’t even bother trying to keep up with them, they were flying

It is - I think we paid about £30 for a weekend at Easter!

If you can catch one of the offers I think you are only talking about £35 for the week or even a fortnight.

So lousy venue for a day trip but pretty good value for a holiday.