Riding in London

Is this some way of getting dates then Ratty, lovely ladies riding scooters

“Hello my lovely I’m Ratty i ride a BIG bike, how would you like to ride my throbbing beast?” PMSL

oi some of them are pretty damn fit!:Dmy lovely?.. get it right mate, it be more like ‘awight luv!’ see full of charm is ratty:w00t::stuck_out_tongue:

Hahaha I always thought he was a Welshman in disguise !! :stuck_out_tongue:

:w00t:
Brasilians on bike full stop!!!

for a start all you need to get on the road is your CBT, and also if you had an idea about what you were on about they don’t just let you go after one day, they let you go when you are safe, if it takes 2 or 3 days.
Are you also suggesting that all learner car drivers must also not be on the road?
should they do a direct access?
Surely riding a 500cc bike, for 3 days with an instructor, telling you everything to do, to then go out on your own is just as dangerous?
I rode a 125cc for almost 2 years, some of us are not made of money, and all we needed was our bikes and money for a CBT, do not put everybody in the same category as chav ped riders. Some of these L plate riders deserve alot more respect than the idiots on super sports bikes out there in their T-Shirts and shorts who ride like T**ts (oh sorry forgot they won’t crash they’ve passed their full license :wink: )
I’ve rode with Garret FishFace and various others on L plates and I’ve been impressed.
Anyhow ending my rant.
:cool:

Having recently passed my Direct Access (february 08), I have to say it definately goes a long way towards making you a better rider. Since I passed I’ve been told several times how much better my riding ability is. I put this down to two things; the training - my instructor was brilliant, and having a bigger engine which I don’t have to rev the nuts out of to get outta the way of other riders. I have to be honest - when on my old cbr125 I often felt intimidated when filtering with bigger bikes behind me, especially on the A40 when there’s often no chance to move outta the way. But when we take our full test aren’t we told to be considerate to other road users?? ESPECIALLY those with L-plates, as they are, after all, LEARNERS!!!

Besides, the most annoying thing on the road are the twats who race out of a side road to make sure they’re in front of you then poodle along at 25mph!!! :crazy:

ah okay well since i fall into a few of the categories you mentioned, firstly im a teenager, i was on CBT for a few months and only just did my A2 the other week.

to be honest i didnt learn THAT much from doing my test. spending 2 or 3 month’s on L’s taught me enough and gave me the experience to do my test, otherwise i would have struggled to do those 3/5 day courses. all that passing my test shows is that i CAN be observant, safe and in control.

now look at those kids in their young 20’s doing DAS’s and gettin 600’s/1000’s and just wheelieng from a2b

i got more respect for L platers who know how to ride safe and fast than in a dangerous way.

on the other hand yeah there are people on L’s who try to show off but just think back to how you were at 16/17.

with couriers some are good, some are mental…you cant generalise about them!

i still got a 125 and i find it fun keeping up with superbikes around london…but i would let them pass if they were looking to shoot ahead

to end it…passing you test is just the beggining of learning how to ride, and we all still have a lot to learn

Once I had my provisional i was entitled to ride upto a 125cc, No such thing as training or CBT, bought a 50cc and learned to ride on the road teaching myself. I was rubbish!!!

took my full test in 1994 and i was entitled to ride as big a bike as i wanted so i bought a cbr400 gullarm. I was still rubbish.

I was a courior for Pony Express riding a company NTV 750, Everyday someone tried to kill me, i developed a 6th sense, good at riding now but rubbish as a courrier!

Many many bikes and years later, NEVER crashed although i jumped off once and let the bike go under a van:D Oh, and i crashed on track as well, didnt I!:hehe::stuck_out_tongue:

I hate everyone else on the road and overtake everyone apart from people i’m riding with :smiley:

In my opinion passing the test means very little. The test only exists to encourage people to take training and build experience before riding larger machines. I know people who have passed the test after two days training (including the CBT,) and I know people who passed their test with no training at all apart from the CBT. As has been said above, some people passed their tests years ago with no training and a test involving a bloke standing on a corner watching you ride past. I also know that passing advanced qualifications such as IAM is no guarantee that someone will ride consideratly and safely.

The simple fact is that people’s riding is based on their training, their attitude and their experieince. An experieinced trained rider who has passed their test with the wrong attitude is still going to be a menace on the road - see 90% of white van drivers for an example of what I mean. Passing a test means very little. Whilst I would encourage anyone riding to get as much training as they can, and to pass their test, I would also encourage the building up of experieince on smaller bikes as I think you learn an awful lot about yourself and your attitude which is invaluable as you move up to more powerful machines.

I do like a brazilian me…:stuck_out_tongue:

mmmm…tidy…:stuck_out_tongue:

This isn’t about whether I have enough experience, its about my opinion that 1 days CBT does not prepare you to drive through London. How on earth could it? Suffice to say that I have a lot of riding experience; I think enough to ride in London. I don’t want to bore with the details cos really nobody cares.

Its a different situation in the country; but riding through one of the biggest and busiest cities in the world after a brief training session on how to control the bike…pure insanity in my opinion.

Why is it? You can still gain experience after your test, you’ll just have a much more solid base to work on. My dad always told me that you learn to drive/ride AFTER passing your test. Problem is, riding on L-plates, you’re not probably not progressing as quickly as you could be if you had this solid base. Its not that hard to pass after 3 days intensive training. I think its a London thing; up north the only people that ride with L plates are kids. Everybody else just does their test first.

This is an insane rant. Of course I’m not saying L drivers shouldn’t be on the road…well they shouldn’t be on the road ON THEIR OWN…same as bikers in my opinion! But then, they’re not allowed out on their own. It would be insane to let them after 1 days training as well…

I wasn’t on about couriers. I was on about people working as couriers with L-plates. Thats insane. And I was wondering how on earth they get insurance given that my courier insurance was so expensive.

just because you have a full licence, does not mean you are safe on the road.

There are lots of bikers ive met personally, and on the road, who quite frankly, should not have a licence, and indeed deserve to have it taken away from them.

Ive also been on the receiving end of bikers with problems, when im driving my car, and its exactly these kinds of people that come on to bike forums gurning about car driverS!!!

Well, you have spoken out against learner motorcyclists. I am currently a learner motorcyclist, you have spoken out against me (as a motorcyclist - which is my reason for being on this forum). Therefore, to put things into perspective, I feel it only right that any learners reading this thread who might be concerned by your words, as I am, should know what you have had to deal with in your time on a powered two wheeler.
You can’t have any pictures of it as its made of gaffer tape, and the clutch slips.Let me start, you’re from Sheffield (which you have admitted is different from London) and have been a courier, you are currently riding a bike you are embarrassed about (“”)…

True, one day is not a lot, but here in the big smoke you are also recommended to learn the Highway Code and have some experience riding a bicycle. A CBT could be sufficient training for those who are already confident bicyclists or drivers, don’t forget.
A reuptable training centre wouldn’t give a CBT cert. to someone they deemed irresponsible. There are some disreputable centres, of course, but I leave it to you to take that issue up with the DVLA (see my previous post for their email address).

Were you gazing up at the tall buildings when you first came to London. Impressive isn’t it!
:w00t:

Hi there mate, this is a bit Off-Topic, but you seen this months SuperBike Mag - surely they have the wrong guy…??? :wink: :slight_smile:

Attachments

whinge whinge whinge

I don’t really understand the test structure nowadays, I got my license way back. Nonetheless, after a long long absence from the road, when I got my trike I stuck a “P” plate on it until I’d done a couple of thousand miles and felt comfortable again. Now “P” plates are rare things, so far as I have seen, but they are eminently sensible and let other drivers know that you’re maybe going to **** up from time to time so cut this guy a little slack s’il vous plait. I’ve seen them on cars now and again but never on bikes. Why not?