Riding in France

Thought I’d give you all a heads up! As of the 1st January 2016 it is now a legal requirement for motorcyclists to carry a hi-viz jacket when riding in France. If you are pulled over for a roadside check and you don’t have one the fine is 11 Euros, however if you breakdown/have an accident and are not wearing one when emergency services arrive the fine goes up 135 Euros.

I thought you had to have one years ago

it was a guideline back then IIRC. 

good tip Trombo, cheers. 

You have to have reflectives on your helmet as well.

It’s been law for cars for a few years, but it now is for bikes as well

pfff… freaking frenchies

Am planning to ride down to SW France this year, will take my hi-viz waterproof jacket

Bloody health and safety committees.

I Don’t bother with many of the french laws but always carry a Hi Viz

I have a high viz in the tailgate for over here. Wouldn’t dream of stopping on a hard shoulder without wearing one - too many collision involving broken down vehicles. If you’re caught out on a motorway don’t stay near the vehicle get to the other side of barrier.

Better to be seen to be honest.  Broken down on any major road is potentially dangerous.

Something that I have learned recently is if you have to stop on hard shoulder or in the round, put you bike at an angle.  The reason is the brain will pick up on it better than because the it is out of place with the rest of the vehicles in the environment.  I’ll see if I can find the article I read for a better explanation.

I keep my BikeSafe high-viz stored in the bike at all times :slight_smile: (along with a first-aid pack and various other things etc)

I don’t bother with many of the french laws either while I’m over there but I always carry my Triumph hi-viz in my top box just in case

Better to be seen to be honest.  Broken down on any major road is potentially dangerous.

Something that I have learned recently is if you have to stop on hard shoulder or in the round, put you bike at an angle.  The reason is the brain will pick up on it better than because the it is out of place with the rest of the vehicles in the environment.  I’ll see if I can find the article I read for a better explanation.

Kevsta
They Police and other emergency services do this too, it creates a larger surface area to be seen and also not a shape you would see normally on a motorway.

Also good reason at angle is that if it is struck it cartwheels along not becomes a missile … but also make sure rear end is to the carriageway side as this exposes rear lights and indicators more than front end nearer . Best thing anybiker can carry as well that fitsinto inner pockets easily is a foil blanket absolute heaven on those long waits for motorcycle specific recovery …especially if you have a pillion .