RHRS or CSS

Ron Haslam Race School or California Superbike School - which is best?

I’m trying to decide between these two options as well. So I’m also keen to hear people’s thoughts.

Cheers
Seth

Not sure but if yer up for the Olympic a voidance Lisbon-Prague run in 2012 you`ld better decide quick.:unsure:

How many threads are you going to join to promote the Lisbon to Prague run? :smiley:

I have not done Ron Haslam School, but I do know that CSS is BRILLIANT. Done up to Level 3, and it really makes a huge impact on your riding, as they teach the fundamentals of cornering right through to the more technical timing of movement on the bike and how to keep the bike stable in all cornering situations.

From what I have heard (may be just that person’s opinion) Ron Haslam school focuses on how to ride fast at Silverstone specifically, what lines to use, etc.

Where CSS teaches how to ride any and all corners… One drill in level 2 is to take different lines and experiment to see the impact on the exit…

I am sure you can’t go wrong with either for a cracking day on track, but my very biased vote goes to CSS!!!

EDIT - OK I read up on RHRS… Telemetry on their Elite level is analysed for rpm, fastest speed, fastest lap etc etc… BUT in CSS, you have a coach ride up next to you while you work on one drill at a time, and either give you thumbs up, make you follow him to see how it is done, or even pull you into pits to chat about the areas he sees you can improve. Telemetry cannot tell you about your position on the bike, your vision through the corners, etc.

Vote now a little less biased, and still heavily in favour of CSS.

(then again, I have been reading Keith Code’s books before I ever twisted my wrist in anger…)

I have done level 1 of CSS and then Ron Haslam race school
I was really lucky to get one to one coaching at RHRS because they had initially put me in a group with 2 guys, one really slow and one really fast, so we ended up getting separated.
At RHRSH, there is not a lot of time on track which for me was worsened by Ron Haslam going around with Keith Flint (at full speed even though slow riders are learning the track) so my instructor kept having to put his arm up to let me know to pull over…fecked up lots of corners.
Also I dont really like Silverstone because its pretty featureless and I probably need visual aids to remind me where the track goes.
The positive of RHSH was that I was lucky to get a really good instructor who pushed me and he also showed me how to properly hang off (“crack off the seat”) - something I think they try to teach everyone that I am sure would be covered in CSS but definitely not in level 1.

I probably got more out of CSS (bar the hanging off) because I did it a year before RHRS and I like to practice things after being told what to do as opposed to kind of just doing what I normally do anyway. I wish I had time to do the subsequent CSS levels.

good luck

PS I heard that if you have an off at RHRS and cause injury to someone else, their insurance would come to you personally for compensation…but this is just a rumour so maybe worth checking.

I think this is why my IAM observer got a bit frustrated with me when I did a day, because I can’t just do as I am told, I need to think about it, practice it on my own, question it, fully get to grips with understanding it.

I am sure if my IAM observer could see me now he would simply ask…why didn’t you do that when I told you to, you doing it now?

I just need time to absorb information, process it and then put it into practice at my own pace.

Which is why I am worried about CSS/RHRS and think maybe the IAM/ROSPA route might be better for me, as you get to continually go back, with your updated skills over a 10 week period and build on what you learnt. If I could just take information and do it, I think the CSS/RHRS would work as you can build as the day progresses, but with my rather slow way of learning I think I will be a bit stuck as the instructors don’t think I have got to grips with part 1 and may be reluctant to move to part 2.

At CSS, they do one drill at a time. You get a 20 minute classroom session of each fundamental drill you work on (5 for the day), then get 20 minutes on track to practice that drill ONLY, with a coach looking over your progress and guiding you through ways to improve.

Also, you are advised to ride at 80% so that you have attention to spare on the learning aspects. 80% is still plenty when you are doing laps with no brakes!!! Then gradually throughout the day you get to use more gears and more brakes. This allows you to really focus on the cornering forces and sensations and corner speeds… and gradually building up your pace for the day, rather than running into a corner hot and scaring yourself silly.

Especially Level 1 is a real eye opener for most people… It is not only about track riding, it is about cornering your motorbike safely and quickly, whether you hang off or not.

dont think many people have done all the CSS levels and the RSHS, most will plump for one or the other. know one or two that have done RSHS and not been massively impressed tbh. Have now done CSS 1 myself and, the missus has done 2 levels. really enjoyed it, got a lot out of it.

obviously with all these things you get out of it what you put in. if you follow the drills and listen you should improve. if you get hot headed/excited/ride like a chump regardless, you’ll end the day as rubbish as you start the day :wink:

I’ve done both, RHRS (premier) at the end of May, then a few weeks later CSS. CSS was def the course I got more from, you’ll actually learn stuff AND its a whole Day!

With RHRS, we had assigned instructors, they stayed with you through your 3 track sessions and commented on your riding then offered tips. But it was all done in what felt like a hour or less. you do get to use their bikes though and if you come off it well its no cost to you.

I’d go with CSS :cool: