Resolved: Now just BMW.

More fun and games with BMW of late.

This time it is their panniers for the R1200GS/GSA that are the problem.
For some reason the recent versions of the panniers are a raw aluminium which start to corrode instantly.

The earlier versions don’t do this so it is something they are doing differently with the recent bikes.
After the 40 mile ride home from picking the bike up I washed it down, dried everything, including the panniers and top box but they had already started to corrode before I could get ACF50 on them.

I hate to think how they would look after a couple of years.

Loads of people are reporting the same problem.
The solution is to wrap them in vinyl, which I am going to have to do, although I’m more likely to sell them and get the something that don’t corrode (which is every other pannier on the market), but for them to corrode like this on the ride home from picking up the bike is pretty shite.

None of the other panniers do it and BMW are entirely disinterested in fixing the problem and deny it is a problem.
Bahnstormer also haven’t been interested in helping out- actually to be correct they offered to try to polish it out and apply ACF50, which I’ve already done.

You get what you pay for :wink:

Precisely why these should be better made than they are.

The Bumot has a better hinge, locks on both sides and feels more solid over all and is anodised.
It costs about the same as well.

If bought new I’d say take them back and ask for a refund as they’re not fit for purpose - a pannier sold for an adventure bike should be able to suffer more than a shower without corroding.

If you paid for them or the bike on a credit card (even if just a deposit), then contact the card company & make a section 75 claim.

Wow that’s pretty bad. Maybe if all customers ask for refunds they would be obliged to acknowledge the problem

I’ve tried all avenues to pursue a refund that are available and I’ve basically been told do put up with it.
BMW refuse to acknowledge it is a problem- they claim they are better like this.
Some people have had theirs replaced by their dealer but Bahnstormer refuse to do it so I am screwed.

I have no recourse other than being noisy about it and making people aware, which I’m doing.

Pretty fucked, eh?

Small claims court?   Simple and cheap to log a claim - for the amount of the boxes.   You’d need to show you highlighted the problem and gave them the chance to sort it (Email? Letter?  Both?)

Whatever happened to Chaos?

I've tried all avenues to pursue a refund that are available and I've basically been told do put up with it. BMW refuse to acknowledge it is a problem- they claim they are better like this. Some people have had theirs replaced by their dealer but Bahnstormer refuse to do it so I am screwed.
I have no recourse other than being noisy about it and making people aware, which I'm doing.
Pretty fucked, eh?
hogtrumpet
The problem has been around awhile http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/300902-Pannier-Suggestions

Whatever happened to Kaos?
bluelagos
The gazebo happened

Small claims court?   Simple and cheap to log a claim - for the amount of the boxes.   You'd need to show you highlighted the problem and gave them the chance to sort it (Email? Letter?  Both?)
Whatever happened to Chaos? bluelagos
Yeah, I have everything in email.

Small claims- yes, I guess that is the next step. I waiting to see if they are going to be reasonable and save us all a lot of time.

I've tried all avenues to pursue a refund that are available and I've basically been told do put up with it. BMW refuse to acknowledge it is a problem- they claim they are better like this. Some people have had theirs replaced by their dealer but Bahnstormer refuse to do it so I am screwed. I have no recourse other than being noisy about it and making people aware, which I'm doing. Pretty fucked, eh? hogtrumpet
The problem has been around awhile http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/300902-Pannier-Suggestions
Rusty99
I believe it is worse with the more recent ones- several owners have had the old ones and the new ones and the new ones are apparently worse.

Trading standards should be able to help, surely.

BMW have responded to my message on twitter so I am hoping that lodging a formal complaint through them will do something to resolve it.

Next time, stick to a Kwaka :wink:

You misspelled Yamaha :grin:

Next time, stick to a Kwaka ;-) bluelagos
Likely next port of call though- never had a Jap bike before- only KTM, BMW & Triumph.

BMW don’t really seem to give a fuck.

I’ve lodged a complaint thought https://complaint.resolver.co.uk which seems to get positive solutions in some cases.

Fingers crossed.

Another new bike??

yeah, he bought a GS like he wanted to from the start

[quote] Next time, stick to a Kwaka ;-) bluelagosLikely next port of call though- never had a Jap bike before- only KTM, BMW & Triumph. BMW don't really seem to give a fuck. --- hogtrumpet [/quote]

Another new bike??

Changyammi
Not for a while...