Recommendations for locks/chains etc?

In the process of buying my first 125 - whilst I’m sure it’s not going to be the most sought-after bike in London, I’m gonna need to try my best to not get it nicked. Will be parking it in a secure underground car park at my flat most of the time. 

Wondered if people had recommendations of particular brands or models for disc locks/chains/padlocks etc? 

Thanks again all.

You’re asking for “disc locks/chains/padlocks” which is a few things - what do you actually want? Personally, I’ve got an Oxford alarmed disc lock for general use, an Abus Granit X-Plus City chain for locking it up when I’m out in London (it’s a particularly lightweight chain) and a Kryptonite new york noose (and padlock) for locking up at home. 

Almax and Pragmasis both sell the same 19mm chain that’s basically hand-tool-proof but not really practicable if you need to carry it places. It’s generally regarded as the biggest and baddest chain and is probably the obvious choice if you just want something strong and don’t have any other priorities. Personally, I don’t think they’re that great since the use-case they’re good for (always leave the chain in the same place) is where thieves are most likely to turn up with power tools. On the other hand, if they do turn up only with bolt croppers, you’ll be fine.

As important as the security provided by the lock, I think, is the convenience - it’s only any good if you can be arsed to use it.

Thanks for the response. Sorry, wasn’t the clearest question in the first place, your answer is exactly what I was after though - i.e. recommendations on what sort of kit I should be using and when. 

Almax and pragmasis chains and squire locks and xena alarmed disclocks seem to be the brands of choice of the paranoid/ properly prepared

I have a feeling I saw one if them now do a 22mm chain, but that may be wrong. Isn’t the 16mm bolt cutter proof? Both brands of chain do a variety of chain thickness and it seems only to be going up and always people make out youre only properly protected with the biggest… 

Personally you have to balance it with where you live.  

And one of the best ways of keeping it safe is not giving out clues as to where you live & what security you might have on a forum. Keep it all general & don’t post pictures of your bike parked anywhere you regularly put it on any website

And on any pics you post make sure there is no location data on there, if you have location enabled. A couple of stories about how bikes got stolen because ppl traced location from eBay ads. How true it is, no idea…

There have been thefts over the years from people you and we know on here when they posted pics eg of a bike parking bay with a crowding problem then whoosh the next day their bikes disappeared. Bike theives are probably thick but they can understand pictures

Hondas CBF125 was in the top 5 I believe of stolen bikes so treat it security wise as you would a top $$$$ bike

A Cover An Alarmed Disc Lock & A Heavy Duty Chain

Hondas CBF125 was in the top 5 I believe of stolen bikes so treat it security wise as you would a top $$$$ bike Hold Da Kæft
that's probably because it's pretty much the biggest seller in the bike market. Bike thieves will target anything, but i'd probably say a good chain/lock might deter most people going for a YBF, when it'll just slow them down if it were a Fireblade.

Bear in mind that some of the bigger locks may not fit through anywhere useful on a 125, especially if it has spoked wheels, something like an anti-pinch pin may be required http://securityforbikes.com/anti-pinch-pin.php

Bear in mind that some of the bigger locks may not fit through anywhere useful on a 125, especially if it has spoked wheels, something like an anti-pinch pin may be required http://securityforbikes.com/anti-pinch-pin.php monkimark
pinch pin don't work ive tried on his bike

Static chain, to lock the bike up at home - Measure up how long you need it to be and measure again to be sure to be sure. Buy whatever you can afford be that 14mm, 16mm or 19mm. Branding is not so important so long as what your getting is described as security chain.

Carry chain, to carry around and use wherever you find yourself leaving your bike unattended. As before measure up how long you need it to be and measure again to be sure to be sure. Buy whatever you can reasonable carry around bearing in mind if the links are 14mm + hand tools should not be able to defeat it.

Padlock - for a 14mm carry chain Squire SS50CSpadlock, for a 16mm static chain Squire SS65CS padlock. Note for 19mm chain the end link or the Squire SS65CS padlock requires professional modification for the chain to fit the close shackle.

Disc lock - Xena XX as big as will fit your disc, check which one best fits your disc using the Zena security lock template here https://www.xenasecurity.com/wp-content/uploads/MGX_LF_ENG-GC-23FEB16.pdf

Have a browse around http://www.pjbsecurity.co.uk/

Here’s something to ponder.

Most would agree that the Squire SS65CS padlock is one of the finest padlocks around for motorcycle security. However, since it has 13 mm shackle what is the advantage of a 16 mm chain over a 14 mm chain or, a 19 mm chain over a 16 mm chain?

Be warned… buying all the kit recommended here will be more expensive than some second hand bikes… 

Here's something to ponder.

Most would agree that the Squire SS65CS padlock is one of the finest padlocks around for motorcycle security. However, since it has 13 mm shackle what is the advantage of a 16 mm chain over a 14 mm chain or, a 19 mm chain over a 16 mm chain?

National Treasure
they do different versions of this lock to accept up to 19mm links

& squire have brought out a newer  (better lock now )

Also buy a chain that when your out and about is long enough to reach lamp/sign post when you park on the kerbside.

Also consider how you will carry the chain or lock around while your riding.
As them small 125 don’t have much or any storage space at all.

I bought my self a small kriega bag which sat on the rear seat.

Also buy a chain that when your out and about is long enough to reach lamp/sign post when you park on the kerbside. h-magic
And bear in mind a noose-style chain is about half the length of a normal one for the same security, but a little more faff.

When I was commuting in and out of Beckton I carried a 2M length of Squire 14 mm  Ex-Caliber chain, a Squire SS50CS padlock and a Xena XX14 disc lock which was just enough to tether the Bonne’ by the back wheel around a lamp post or to an on-site container. You won’t go far wrong with that set up, measure and measure again to be sure to be sure that its not too short or too long and that it all fits where it needs to fit. Note this set up weighs in at 7.5 Kg, that’s almost 4 bags of sugar in real money. So have a think about how your going to transport it too, its not going to fit in a ruck sack on your back.

here http://www.pjbsecurity.co.uk/squire-ex-caliber-ss50-14mm-x-20m-chain-ss50-padlock

and here http://www.pjbsecurity.co.uk/xena-xx14-disc-lock-alarm

<£200 but its still cheaper than your excess and lost NCB

That’s what I mean, though - you’re carrying round 2M of really dense chain in order to create a loop round your wheel and a lamppost. You could do the same thing with a 1.3M noose. The New York Noose is also a 14mm chain (and you can use your favourite padlock on it if you want) but does exactly the same security for a bit over half the weight.