Reasons to be careful

From experience I’d say a higher percentage of people speed on the motorway “just keeping up with the flow of traffic”

@eezie that’s not the number of speeding drivers its the highest recorded speed within each of the limits

Cheers NT

there’s a 20 zone along my commute “priory lane” that goes to roehampton gate for richmond park. very long straight 20mph road with no turn offs on one side of the road and a separate cycle lane. sometimes i agree with 20 zones but this one, I absolutely cannot understand it and find i lose concentration doing 20 along here.

I read/heard somewhere that in 30’s many drive at 40 and one of the the ideas behind having 20’s was that it would slow the many to 30. Whether there is any truth in that I don’t know but I do know on my last ride in to Borough Market (2018) the 20’s from Lea Bridge Road all the way to Borough Market were a proper pain.

Yep that’s another nail in the coffin of why I gave up commuting on the bike. That last time I did go into London on the bike was because I have heading down to Folkestone to get an earlier train to Europe the following day.

It was horrible. What used to be dual lanes going into London is now cycle lane, and traffic lane. God knows I many speed cameras there were. It was deeply unpleasant. Because of all the changes, the filtering opportunities were mostly gone.

Priory lane has at least 2 schools on it (i think it’s 3) as well as a couple of sports grounds used by kids and the only place it really leads to is Richmond Park (which is all 20mph anyway). The cycle lane doesn’t run the full length anyway and is pretty useless if you’re heading into the park as it’s too narrow to be 2 way and it’s on the wrong side of the road.

The 20mph limit seems pretty reasonable to me

1 Like

It certainly does make sense if you know there’s three schools there, however I travel at times no school kids are there. Which highlights my next point, 20mph at 5am seems a little pointless, don’t you agree?

Out on the mo’cycle this morning, an essential trip 10 mile round trip to pick up my medication and the traffic was like peak times. Everybody was in a rush, I resisted the temptation to have words with the driver 4 feet of my rear wheel. We were 45 in a 40 but that was not good enough for her and when I slowed to 30 for the 30 she had the audacity to give a double beep of the horn. Some folk shouldn’t be allowed behind the wheel.

1 Like

btw - The gravel is real! And it fcking hurts!

Binned my pushbike on a left hander at full pelters couple of days ago :frowning:

1 Like

Ouch, if I was a gambling man I’d wager full pelters will be nearer 25 mph than 20. Hope you didn’t need the NHS

Coming downhill on the way to Bures on our favourite roas :slight_smile: Sharp left hander up towards Mount Bures.

No NHS visit and tbf, ordinarily I would have gone to A&E to get it cleaned up.

Good to hear its nothing too serious.