ran out of petrol at 80 miles/h

iā€™m lost on that one too.

FI systems can be incredible complex, how wide the throttle body is going to be, hole many holes on the injector itself, do you go for 1,2,4, 16 etc holes? Do you have a common injector for all cylinders, or one per? Do you have multiple injectors per cylinders with different amount of holes to get better response through the rev range?

What about sensors, or do you go with a basic injection setup with one mapping regardless of the conditions or do you go the hole hog and have fuel temperature, air temperature, anti knock, lamba sensors, engine coolant and oil temperatures sensors? What about fuel quality sensors? Do you have sensors for each cylinder or one to cover all of them?

What about direct or indirect injection? What about the fuel pump? What pressure do you run the system at? What effect with this have on the injectors?

Do you use continuous or pulsed injection delivery?

Do you shut off the injectors when the throttle is closed or do you keep the injectors on to keep the system wet? So when the throttle is opened again there is minimum hesitation?

With all these options you have to map out all the variables. If you are a small racing team it would be easier to just work on a carb.

Agreed Kevsta, FI systems are complicated in their design as you describe above, but nowhere in the above did you mention how simple and quick they are to adjust. Compare stripping out a bank of 4 carbs, changing jets, needle heights etc with plugging in a laptop and downloading a new map in seconds. Thereā€™s no contest mate.:wink:

I can adjust the fueling and timing in my garage on a wet Sunday afternoon with just an old laptop, a cup of coffee ! Itā€™s quicker to boot the laptop, adjust the fueling and shut it down than it is to make the (proper) coffee :smiley:

My old hornet didnā€™t have a red light - I just had to fill up before 100 miles to be sure :w00t:

Anita

Thanks for the sanity.