R1200RT

What are the running costs like on this type of beast. Never had a BMW before and it is on my watch list as something I can fit on. Also because it is Euro 3 compliant. I used to commute on an FJ1200, so size is not really and issue, just the cycle parts. 

Apart from being very wide the FJ would look anorexic next to it
The cost of BMW spares will make your eyes water
Around town fuel consumption isn’t great touring it’s a lot better
The K1300r would be comparable to the FJ

And yes I believe all models are Euro 3 

Might be worth having a look at the later Yamaha TDM900/A.  Should be quite cheap now, and they are frugal.

Watch the film Gattaca. You may then consider having your legs shortened.

Even tho the TDM is a good bike it’s not Euro 3

Been browsing spare parts prices on the R1200 and it is kidney/liver time for some prices.  So I’ll stick to Honda I think… at least I can afford to fix it then.

[quote] Might be worth having a look at the later Yamaha TDM900/A.  Should be quite cheap now, and they are frugal. --- Kevsta [/quote]

Even tho the TDM is a good bike it’s not Euro 3

Wise
As they were sold upto 2013 I'm surprised that they aren't Euro3.

I’ve had an RT.
Parts are expensive, plastics are ridiculously expensive.

I had no trouble filtering although you can’t get through the same gaps as a sportsbike.
I think it suits the short legged amongst us more than the taller chaps.
I’m 6ft 1 and found it quite cramped.
I have GS now and it is better although it also isn’t perfect.

It is Richard Hammond’s favourite bike, if that gives you and idea of who it will suit.

Been browsing spare parts prices on the R1200 and it is kidney/liver time for some prices.  So I'll stick to Honda I think.... at least I can afford to fix it then.
makman
The F800 isn't a bad bike

some parts can be eye watering, ignore the belt costs from BMW you can get them for £69 if you know where to look post July 2008 are the best bikes to go for

& if you uncork it then it wont embarrass itself at traffic light  GP’s

your more then welcome to have a try on mine

Been browsing spare parts prices on the R1200 and it is kidney/liver time for some prices.  So I'll stick to Honda I think.... at least I can afford to fix it then. makman
The F800 isn't a bad bike
some parts can be eye watering, ignore the belt costs from BMW you can get them for £69 if you know where to look post July 2008 are the best bikes to go for
& if you uncork it then it wont embarrass itself at traffic light  GP's
your more then welcome to have a try on mine
Wise
Yep, a chat with a former BMW tech says always go for the black engined F800s rather than the silver painted ones.

Been browsing spare parts prices on the R1200 and it is kidney/liver time for some prices.  So I'll stick to Honda I think.... at least I can afford to fix it then. makman
The F800 isn't a bad bike some parts can be eye watering, ignore the belt costs from BMW you can get them for £69 if you know where to look post July 2008 are the best bikes to go for & if you uncork it then it wont embarrass itself at traffic light  GP's your more then welcome to have a try on mine Wise
Yep, a chat with a former BMW tech says always go for the black engined F800s rather than the silver painted ones.
Kevsta
mines Silver

but its a good one

Thanks chaps. I’m 6ft5, so may change my ideas on what I can fit on.  F800 added to watch list!  TIme to see insurance quotes etc

I had one on loan for 2 weeks…it was nice out in the open but not the best as others have said around town.

Thanks chaps. I'm 6ft5, so may change my ideas on what I can fit on.  F800 added to watch list!  TIme to see insurance quotes etc
makman
It is such a cliche (but for a reason) but I have to say try an R1200GS, especially the Adventure.
I find the F800 too cramped and I'm 4 inches shorter than you.
The big GS is the most comfortable bike I've owned- even more than the RT.
If you do a lot of filtering then the non Adventure version is almost as good.

K1200/K1300 would be worth a shout too- if you prefer a sportier position.

I love the look of the K1300R. Get that. Purely based on looks. Don’t even test ride it.

I’d love one, but I also like my license.  The bike I would love to have is a Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport. That is just beautiful and oooooozes charm and style.  But alas my budget is more likely to be a CBF600 or very similar, or with a push a CB500X… but R1200RT’s are such good value for purchase, but the running costs are the killer.  Train ticket for me is £48 a week, petrol is £8 a week… just barking mad for public transport affordability.

I'd love one, but I also like my license.  The bike I would love to have is a Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport. That is just beautiful and oooooozes charm and style.  But alas my budget is more likely to be a CBF600 or very similar, or with a push a CB500X.... but R1200RT's are such good value for purchase, but the running costs are the killer.  Train ticket for me is £48 a week, petrol is £8 a week..... just barking mad for public transport affordability.
makman
to be honest if it was me @ £48 a week train fare I think I would use the train

it may be £8 for petrol but what about running costs (tyres,lube, chains- sprockets, filters ,insurance deprecation,)

my petrol bill is £15 every two days & after two years the bike wont be worth anything because of the high mileage

the main reason I use a bike for commuting is my nearest train station is a twenty minute drive (there are no busses) & I have to find somewhere to park.

financially im better off with public transport my company pays my expenses

they only pay for the fuel & tyres on my bike.    

If you were happy with the CBF, have a look at the Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, and the Kawasaki Versys 650 as well.

Checking those out.  I run my bikes for a good length of time. I’m selling the bike for close to what I paid for it, so no complaints on depreciation there. I have spent to get it right for me though.  But bike is quicker and cheaper for me as the initial purchase price is less than the yearly train ticket, fuel, ins, tax, mot, tyres the lot.  And I don’t like public transport anyhow…