Putting new plate number, keeping old one for later

When I tell DVLA to transfer a personalised plate to my bike, what happens to the old (standard dvla issued) plate? Specifically, if one day I wish to sell the bike, can I transfer the new plate to my new bike, and transfer the old plate back to my old bike?

You need to pay to keep it on retention.

You don’t need really need to retain the original DVLA issued number. Just transfer or retain the ‘cherished number’ when the time comes to sell/buy. That done the DVLA will then issue an age related number plate, it may even be the original number if that’s still available.

You don't need really need to retain the original DVLA issued number. Just transfer or retain the 'cherished number' when the time comes to sell/buy. That done the DVLA will then issue an age related number plate, it may even be the original number if that's still available.
National Treasure
Will the DVLA automatically issue an age related number plate to the old bike once I transfer the cherished one to a new bike? Or is there a procedure I will need to follow?

Its all here

https://www.gov.uk/personalised-vehicle-registration-numbers/take-private-number-off

What happens to the vehicle

The vehicle will get a new number assigned to it straight away if you do it online, it takes longer by post.

Never done this myself as I never really seen the point of a personalised plate, but given the number of people who complain about the DVLA would it be better to keep the plate on retainer, rather than hope that they will issue an age appropriate plate?

Great, thanks chaps, seems clear enough now.

Does make you wonder with service history etc if it shows different vrn on paperwork …