Putney Police - free trackers suspicious

Hi All, there was a post last week saying that Putney Police were giving out free bike trackers. I thought it was worth an email so asked for more detail on the address provided. Below is a response I received yesterday, does this look a bit suspicious to anyone? Seems to me like a pretty good way of mapping out all the potential bikes to steal in London! Or can anyone confirm it is legit?

Dear Sir/ Madam

Thank you for expressing an interest with regards to Operation Ichnaea, the Tracking system trial.

Please supply us with your details, I require the following:

Full Name,

Full Postal Address

Telephone Number

Vehicle Make & Model

Vehicle Registration Number

Upon reciept of these I will process your application. There is a fitting day on the 27th February which we will hopefully get you in to.

Thank you

Jon Gustar A/PS 548WW

ring the station mate with the reference provided… They will be able to confirm and will alert them if it really is a scam

Call the police and confirm, rather than asking here…

I doubt it’s a Scam, they guy that posted the original thread spoke to the Police about an attempted theft and Jon Gustar (Officer in charge) told him about the scheme

I don’t think the scrotes would have access to a police email address or classical education

Just make sure they turn off the speed-recording yeh? ;)

I don't think the scrotes would have access to a police email address or classical education monkimark
Just to play devils advocate.. It is really easy to make an email look like it is has come from a legit address and spoofers have got really smart lately!

true - an email is just like a postcard; very very insecure.

Just make sure they turn off the speed-recording yeh? ;) cjrp
That is a Fantastic point i didn't even consider!! what's stopping them doing this and using it as a Prosecuting tool?

It was me that put the original post up. Understand the need to be careful but I know how and where I got the info from. Just thought I’d share the info. A free tracker does sound a bit too good to be true, but I’ll be going along to find out more. The venue is just behind the police station.

I don't think the scrotes would have access to a police email address or classical education monkimark
Just to play devils advocate.. It is really easy to make an email look like it is has come from a legit address and spoofers have got really smart lately! The Sleeper
yes but Putney police are replying to the email. not sending a spoof one. 

I thought they might be using tracker to mean tagging like http://datatag.co.uk/motorcycles.php