Puncture/flat tyre

Got a flat tyre, think its a puncture. Last night was fine, this morning its totally flat.
Can anyone recommend someone who would repair in east London.
I would probably need to take the wheel off the bike and take it in my car? How easy/hard is it to do that, i have minimum experience working on motorcycles.
Tyres is only about 3000 miles/ 6 months old, from fwr kenington.

Get a plug kit to get you to tyre shop they’re easy enough to use

With minimum experience, I wouldn’t start trying to take the wheel off. The process is in itself easy and straightforward enough. But without the right equipment getting everything alligned can be a pain in the ass if you’re trying to do it on your own.

Like Curtis, I would recommend a plug kit. Don’t rely on the little cartridges of air they give you. Have a pump (foot or otherwise) to get you to desired PSI.

Don’t worry if the first plug you use doesn’t work, just try again… :slight_smile:

Got a flat tyre, think its a puncture. Last night was fine, this morning its totally flat. Can anyone recommend someone who would repair in east London. I would probably need to take the wheel off the bike and take it in my car? How easy/hard is it to do that, i have minimum experience working on motorcycles. Tyres is only about 3000 miles/ 6 months old, from fwr kenington. Cbr500Nav
have you pumped it up to see if its a slow puncture ?

it may hold air long enough to get you to a tyre shop

& as Serrisan says they can be easy to get off & a right pain to get back on again if your not to ofay with wheel changes

& in its not the best temperature to be pissing about

Where can i get a plug kit?

Anyone used a mobile repair service? There probly cost a few quid extra tho?

Where can i get a plug kit?

Anyone used a mobile repair service? There probly cost a few quid extra tho?

Cbr500Nav
motorcycle shops, J&S Gants Hill

Halfords

Any petrol station sells a plug repair kit. Its some sort of foam that you inject in the tyre.
I had to learn the hard way after getting a flat on the A40 and driving the bike at 20mph to the nearest BP

Any petrol station sells a plug repair kit. Its some sort of foam that you inject in the tyre. I had to learn the hard way after getting a flat on the A40 and driving the bike at 20mph to the nearest BP CBR500R commuter
if you want to have the tyre repaired don't use the Foam stuff

Any petrol station sells a plug repair kit. Its some sort of foam that you inject in the tyre. I had to learn the hard way after getting a flat on the A40 and driving the bike at 20mph to the nearest BP CBR500R commuter
if you want to have the tyre repaired don't use the Foam stuff
Wise
+1. A lot of tyre places will refuse/ cannot repair a tyre that has had foam... it leaves such a mess inside. 

If you’ll get a new tyre then fine.

Didnt know that about the foam. The tyre was fine thereafter anyways and i told the next owner about it.

Everyday is a school day!

Some things are just a no brainer to have around

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Emergency-Car-Van-Motorcycle-Tubeless-Tyre-Puncture-Repair-Kit-Tool-5-Strip-/231447778779?hash=item35e35cd5db:g:z0sAAOxyyq5TOe7p

As above getting the wheel off is easy enough, getting it back on is a whole new ball game requiring a little practice and patience. Best to have a workshop manual to hand for tips, correct sequence, alignment of spacers etc. If its rear wheel you’re playing with best to have a willing accomplice on standby to give lend a hand.

How many of the little CO2 cannisters would it take to fill a tyre to ‘get you to the petrol station’ pressure?

I have about 20 of them that I bought in bulk for cycling but I could stick a few under the seat for an emergency - the kits seem to come with 3-5 of the 16g cyclinders so I guess that’s about right?

It depends on wheel size, type of repair and how effective the repair is straight off the bat, 2 or 3 seems to be the norm. However…

When we used the foam to inflate Jetstreams rear tyre (190 50ZR17) it seemed to require curing. It oozed white foam from the puncture for about 5 to 10 minutes while, as per the instructions, Mr J cruised the car park. Just as well we effected the repair on a garage forecourt with air else we may well have needed about twenty of them cannisters. The repair eventually held and saw Mr & Mrs to be J safely home.

On the other hand when bluelagos punctured in Finchingfield the repair was effected with the sticky worms and inflated immediately by means of a couple of minutes on a mini 12v air compressor borrowed from an eager to help GS man. One or two compressed air cannisters may have been enough.

Yeah, not to come across as a “GS man”, I keep one of these under the seat, too:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Portable-Air-Compressors/RAC-HP223-Compact-Air-Compressor/B00BYORVMG

I think I’d rather have that and no puncture repair kit, than a puncture repair kit and no way of inflating the tyre.

think I might have to remove the battery to fit that under my seat…

Anyone used a mobile repair service? There probly cost a few quid extra tho? Cbr500Nav
I did last year. It cost £50, and being totally clueless and for the avoidance of hassle it was worth it, so would recommend him.

http://www.londonmpr.co.uk/

Now it comes to mind of Boris’s misfortune on a Southend Shakedown back door mission three or four years back. We inflated his punctured rear with the foam stuff, from memory I think we got about 11 psi straight out of the can, topped it up at the forecourt air pump to get him homeward bound. Same as with Jetstreams the foam oozed for while as it cured

Or if you’re into the improvise, adapt and overcome approach the King Queen of puncture repair has to be Slans big sister. On another Southend Shakedown back door mission she found a screw head protruding from her rear tyre that bubbled with the application of a little spit. She left the screw in situ and effected a repair with nail glue and a couple of plies tissue paper. Worked well too and she didn’t hold back on the horses from Maldon to Southend and back home to West London, all with her mum on pillion too!

think I might have to remove the battery to fit that under my seat...
monkimark
Thats a neat unit just 110 x 47 x 95 mm (5 x 2 x 4")

Do you have breakdown recovery? They should be able to come around and plug it. Check with your insurance it’s valid from home too.

All sorted. Used london mpr. A really good service. Chris turned up at the time he said he would. Polite and friendly, done a decent job, adjusted the chain for me which was a little slack. Cost me £50.

I think i will get a repair kit on order for emergancies.
And having a think about a break down service.

Thank you all for your help.