Proof this country is dead!

So what about serial sexual predators that are released to offend again and again, thieves that have hundreds of burglaries under their belts, dealers that don’t stop dealing? If you are stupid enough to go and shoplift after being warned of the consequences then there is no hope for you and you are better off of the streets. INMHO!

so sharing an extreme belief is something to go jail for?

one mans terrorist is anothers freedom fighter

ps I find this guy totally abhorrent but people need to understand its a hastily drawn agreement, once done properley he will go.

The courts must apply the rule of law evenly even if this guy is a total asshole

Being stupid (and basically being caught being Black and poor in the USA) shouldn’t really warrant a life sentance. You’ve probably done more than 3 crimes Vern (as my son has), if you had been caught and charged for each one of those do you think life in prison would be justified. Naaahhhhh! You seem to be trying to live your life straight - so you should have that chance…

No having an extreme belief isn’t something to go to jail for. Inciting others to kill and maim innocent people or conspiring to do so or actually doing it - YUP - to jail with ya.

I do agree with the second point though - the agreement should be properly amended and the ECHR should be satisfied. Once that is done they need to get rid of him (and I won’t shed any tears if he catches a few bruises on the way…

If i was torturer, I wouldn’t do all this water boarding, or thumb screws. I’d just play Celine Dion for hours. Would break any man and doesn’t leave marks behind :smiley:

So you share an extreme belief and have friends that could possibly be terrorists, hardly a model citizen then? Also my point is that I do not care about agreements, contracts or assurances! It should be an eye for an eye, he pays no attention to the law (as in promoting terror attacks) so why should we? It should be a hood over the head and out, the next time he see’s the sun it would be shining over Jordan!

Cruel and Unusual Punishment indeed.

because if you become as bad as you are claiming they are, you are no different to them and the whole foundation of a democratic society crumbles… You become just as much of an extremist as them.

There was a very interesting article in the Guardian today on the very topic of extremism and the root causes behind it. Contrary to the ideas we are told, violence rarely solves things…
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/apr/24/boston-terrorism-motives-us-violence

You can laugh, but I once went to a Czech pub in Monrovia, Liberia (as you do) having been promised live football. Got dropped off and told driver to come back in 2 hours to pick me up. The satellite was down so no footie. But the owner did have a copy of Celine in Vegas - to play.

By the end of that, I was looking at the young kids in the streets, some of whom had been child combatants, forced to carry and use guns during the civil war - and thought and the horrors that lay ahead for these youngsters, if this was the best that Monrovia’s pub could provide in entertainment.

I’m done on the AQ subject as it’s just getting me all worked up again! Until Kaos logs on that is!!

Simon - To be brutally honest, if you tallyed up everything I’ve done in the past (and I’d have been caught for all of them!) then yes, I would be doing life under the three strikes! My point is that there is no deterrent against commiting further crimes as the prisons (if they even make it that far!) are far too cushy. I’m getting a bit sidetracked here but another thing I think should make a return is hard physical labour, how is prison off-putting if all you do in there is lie in your bunk all day? Bring back proper prison uniforms, shirt, tie, jacket and trousers (the current uniform of sweat-shirt and baggy trackie bottoms is a joke and most wear it gangster-stylie) and you report for hard, physical work at 0700 and you do not return to your cell until you have properly toiled. People need to be scared of returning to prison and the truth is people are not. I realise it is a touchy subject as your son is involved but I was in that life for over twenty years so I can speak from experience. But I’m a good boy now! :wink:

I was talking to Simon when I said copped out Vern.

It is just this crappy quoting system, should have made that clearer.

I don’t like AQ but equally I don’t like these rushed treaties to get around what is essentially a sound legal principle…that torture is wrong.

I hope the Courts reject the Treaty, I hope the ECtHR rejects the treaty and does not allow AQ to be deported.

Not for his benefit, but for everyone else’s benefit.

Would your views still be the same if somebody you care about was killed or injured by extremists and this piece of work praises their actions? I think you are just taking this point of view to wind people up, it’s an internet forum and you are free to do so. But my point is valid, torture to prevent an act of terrorism is justified. Are you are saying that if they could have tortured someone and prevented 9/11 or 7/7 then that would have been wrong?

ok and what happens when they get it wrong like in the link above…tortured the wrong person and put him on a rendition flight…the man lost months of his life and his marriage dissolved and lost a lot of his friends …

do you say sorry and give them some money?

Guys,

Please keep this very contentious thread on topic please.

We have pulled others up about inciting political rants on here fairly recently, however we’ll let this run providing no-one starts slinging generalisations about sects, religions or other possibly well intentioned bodies.

If you want to discuss the prize turkey we started this with, then fine as long as you remain factual or none-offensive to others.

If you want to discuss UK foreign policy or terrorism in a wider sense, then we’re on sticky ground and frankly there’s no need for stirring Kaos up anymore than necessary. Surely even he has a job to do.

Besides, the sun is out. Can’t we discuss something bike related? or at the very least where the best place is to spend a sunny lunchtime watching them, erm, scenery.

Pretty much, as I’m sure they have many times. And how much has been prevented because they got the right person?

This really is the final time I am going to say this, TORTURE TO PREVENT AN ACT OF TERRORISM IS JUSTIFIED! It’s my opinion and I am entitled to it! You cannot play by the rules with these people because they do not! What this country is saying with this issue is that you can kill, maim or incite others to do so as much as you like but we will always pussy-foot around you and do all we can not to hurt your feelings. Oh and by the way, here is more benefit money and a free house!!

Oh I’m sorry I thought it said it was a ‘general chat’ thread? What well intentioned body are you refering to? And if you 're going to tell me what I can or cannot discuss in an open public internet forum then please delete my account as I will not be dictated to by you or anyone!

Yep - I agree that prison should be a deterrent. I strongly believe that people need to learn right and wrong and learn there are consequences. My son stole from me (and others), and for that he did time. It was a tough decision to prosecute him but to NOT prosecute someone for breaking the law teaches them they can do the same to other people - and I was not prepared to send that message, not matter how painful that decision was. I was also there when he got out to help him rebuild his life. So yep - I have had skin in the game and hopefully he’ll be a god boy now too. So for me, strong deterrent, yep, hard labour, cool by me, 3 strikes law - needs some get out clauses as California have introduced.

All respect to you for that Simon, that must have taken some doing! If more parents shared your view then we might not be in the state we currently are!

you should watch that program that was on BBC the other night about teenagers in prison. absolutely horrifying. sadly, it sums it up really.

Maybe we need to return the 3 B,s to prison life. birching beheading and buggery?