Previously Restricted Bikes??

Hey guys,

I wonder if anyone can help here? - I’m going for the full test next week & have my eye on a bike at the moment but it’s restricted to 33bhp.

The garage say they can de-restrict it but I’m wondering if there is some sort of problem with this?

The reason I ask is that the bike has been with the garage for a few weeks now & no-one’s bought it (in every other regard it’s a steal!), so is there some sort of inherent problem I would need to be aware of when going for a bike that has been restricted?

Should I avoid it like the plague or will it be ok once de-restricted?

Any advice/help would be appreciated.

Thanks

BoA

Insurance on a restricted bike can be expensive. If you’re going to have an A2 license, you have to keep the restriction and pay the high premiums. If you’re doing DAS and you’ll have a full A license and they derestrict it for you, I think it should be fine and the insurance never need to know it was ever restricted…

-simon

As with any second hand bike really …

It’ll be as good as the previous owner/s treated it, service history is a clue but no guarantee.

My experience is that restricted machines get ragged by riders who want to constantly hit peek performance with them.

Personally I wonder why people restrict bigger bikes when there are so many factory standard sub 33 bhp machines on the market that will emulate the proverbal shite off of a shovel for the novice rider.

Thanks guys,

-Simon, yes I’m doing the full DAS course so insurance isn’t an issue, I was more worried about what Art said about it being ragged silly…

BoA

There are many reasons. One of which is insurance, the Ninja 250 would have cost me 400 pounds (silly austrian keyboard doesn’t have pounds sign) more than my SV650S to insure. Also after the 2 yrs are up I can remove the restrictor and go back to full power without having to sell the bike or loose a lot through depriciation. Its got a big bike feel, and by looking at it you cant tell its restricted.

How does having a restricted licence make a difference on insurance. Most companies only ask if you have a full licence and not if u have a restricted or unrestricted one?

Surely having been restricted the bike will have lived an easier life??

Sorry it doesn’t help much, but remember that it is probably better to walk away from a deal you’re not 100% sure about. Although, if the dealer is honest, they will let you know any reasons why it hasn’t gone yet (remember they are salesman - ‘as far as you can throw them’ etc :wink: ).

I would say that it’s a buyer’s market ATM, something else juicy will turn up soon if you don’t go for the one you are set on now.

Good luck with the test and remember that there is a whole lot of learning to come, so enjoy & take it easy :wink:

I don’t see any particular difficulty with buying a restricted bike as opposed to any other second hand bike.

It’s just another piece of pre used machinery and all the usual rules apply.

One of those “usual rules” is that if it’s too good/cheap to believe…

Cant see a problem with buying a bike that is restricted. I bought a Hornet 600 standard which was working fine, had it restricted didnt work as well and have now had it de restricted and its back to working beautifuly thankfully. i appriciate its down to the luck of the draw with buying any second hand bike but it should be absolutly fine. In my opinion when riding it restricted you would not gain anything from going above 7,000 rpm so mine spent 2 years very rarely going above 8,000rpm so it may have been treated better than a standard bike.

What bike is/was it anyway?

Good luck on the test :slight_smile:

It was an R6 that was previously restricted & I wanted to get the garage to de-restrict it.

Anyway, after pondering on it for so long I lost out & someone else has now bought it!! :frowning:

Oh well, another bike awaits.

Thanks for all the advice & thanks for wishing me luck Joe.

BoA

wasn’t ment to be

good luck with the DAS

Thanks!