Praise - Get Geared in Leatherhead

Customer Service experience way beyond the call of duty.

I went out on my first solo ride since my ‘off’ on Saturday, on my maxi-scooter.

I had gone from central London down to Leatherhead, to buy a new Held jacket and trouser combo and start looking at some moto-cross boots. Get Geared have a much bigger selection than the average motorcycle dealership and a lot of space to store a wide range of sizes (including different leg lengths) and styles hence, why I travelled so far. Sophie, the manager was really lovely, very patient and extremely helpful with options, opinions on alterations, recommendations on boot brands etc - she seems to know the stock range very well and appeared to be really keen to ensure that you end up with the best solution possible.

Unfortunately, whilst in the shop I had left my parking lights on - from previous experience I know that this can leave me with a dead battery, so I rushed out, put the key in - clocks light up, but when I tried the ignition - no life at all :crying:

As it was almost closing time I was stunned when the two remaining members of staff sprang to my rescue to help. Jordan fought valiantly to get the fairings off safely to expose the battery (thanks Charlie (Columbo) for talking him through that last fiddly bit). Then he tried a trickle charger (was all they had in the shop). After 20 mins or so, we still had no life, so he went down the street to another shop where he was able to borrow a portable battery charger. Unfortunately, the grippy bits wouldn’t fit onto the bits of the battery that you need them to clamp on to as there wasn’t enough room. By now it was about 6.20pm and I tried to insist that both he and Sophie the manager leave and I would just call the RAC, but they were absolutely insistent that they would stay until I was mobile again!!!

There was a large Tesco across the roundabout and Jordan suggested trying a normal pair of jump leads, I gave him the money and he hopped on his bike and went over to get them for me, whilst Sophie went to get her car to provide the charge once we had jump leads that would fit. Unfortunately after many repeated attempts by Jordan, he just couldn’t get them to fit on the battery. The poor lad had tried so hard, by now he had been at it for over an hour, but we had no option, but to call the RAC.

Thankfully there was a vehicle in the area and he arrived with us in less than 5 minutes. Again I insisted that they go, but they were determined to stay and ensure the issue was resolved - quite extrordinary, especially at it is by now almost 7pm on a Saturday and I am sure that they had somewhere much more fun to be. Within a few minutes Mr RAC had sorted the scooter and I was on my way.

Was genuinely shocked by the effort and care they took to help a customer out, especially when for the most part it wasn’t in standard hours. They’re very close to Box Hill, so if you’re in the area and need anything, I would highly recommend you pop in to see them. They also have a very good website http://www.getgeared.co.uk/

Yup I’ve found the staff there to be very pleasant generally and very helpful… My only gripe is with the store, I’ve never found their clothing range that extensive. I think it’s also the fact that the website has such a huge range that it makes it feel very limited. You see something on the website and thing it will be in the store but everytime you pop down most things aren’t.

Especially when it came to larger sizes they were very limited. Then again, it is a very compact store…

I’ve been in there 6-7 times (as it’s the closest store to me) but I’ve never come away with anything other than bike cleaning things

Yup I’ve found the staff there to be very pleasant generally and very helpful… My only gripe is with the store, I’ve never found their clothing range that extensive. I think it’s also the fact that the website has such a huge range that it makes it feel very limited. You see something on the website and thing it will be in the store but everytime you pop down most things aren’t.

Especially when it came to larger sizes they were very limited. Then again, it is a very compact store…

I’ve been in there 6-7 times (as it’s the closest store to me) but I’ve never come away with anything other than bike cleaning things.
Really surprised by this Alex - for me it had much broader range of sizes than I have found anywhere else. Must admit I did use their website to check that they had the relevant size options in stock and then called to ask them to put them to one side for me, but only because it was so far from me. Agreed what they keep on the shop floor is relatively limited, but they have a large amount of stock stored on the first floor and at the back of the shop, I would imagine that they keep 3 or 4 sizes on the shop floor of most ranges and then smaller/ bigger ones upstairs etc. Perhaps I was just very lucky, but whenever I had checked their website over the last few months, whatever I have wanted has been in stock.

Could be that… I think most times I’ve been in there I’ve browsed but a couple of times I asked about something that was on the shelf, they never had it in stock.

They get the thumbs up from me also.

Bought from them online, but glad to know they were willing to help someone stranded

We were there on Saturday lunchtime as Tigg’s wanted to buy the matching Held trousers for her Jacket on the way to look at a new car for me, they were helpful but didn’t have her size so the guy looked on the computer and said if we call their leeds store they have them and will be able to send them next day delivery. Due to arrive this morning, but overall good service. :slight_smile:

I’ve always found them very helpful, And 10% off if you have an Iron Butt. :smiley:

I’ve bought stuff there before, if they don’t have your size they will order it in. A good range of different brands. A good store.

Yup, one of my favourite stores. Well worth the trip. Plus it’s pretty much en-route to Surrey, Ryka’s and all them lovely twisties :slight_smile:

Yup, they were very very helpful when we took our brand new Bonnevilles there a while ago. We needed touring luggage and settled on a Moto-detail package. Only trouble was the fixing that attaches to the saddle was a right bugger to fix, so they helped us fit them to both bikes.

Very nice, helpful people.

sounds like they are well worth the trip…been looking at the HELD ST6 carbon lid but want to try one on first before buying

Ring Sophie and get her to put one to the side for you - tell her ‘Battery Ally’ sent ya!

Battery Ally, won`t that make everyone think you are into womens’ condiments?:ermm: