Power commanders.

I wil be fitting a pretty bestoke hand made exhaust half system in the new year and after reading so much about them should i fit a
1, power commander
2, why are they so good ?
3, will i notice the differnce?
4, why bother.

thanks in advance. jim

When you fit your new exhaust the fuelling will have altered - it will run rich or lean. Getting a power commander fitted will allow you to change the way your bike is fuelled with a custom map on a dyno - something which isnt possible with the standard ECU as its setup to use the standard exhaust & air filter etc. You will notice the difference, in fitting the new exhaust etc to your bike - sometimes the throttle feels snatchy, you’ll pull away have a slight lack of power then it’ll kick in and your off, the PC will smooth all of this out. They can be tailor your fuelling every 250rpm or something to get it spot on.

You can download maps from the PC website but your best off getting a bespoke map specifically for your bike as all engines are different.

power commanders are only as good as the bloke setting it up

worth having if you change the pipe etc if only to ensure the fuellings spot on , the outright bhp isnt important but they definatly do give better throttle response and smoother power curves when set up well

i reccommend HM Racing , used them several times and very knowledgeable guys , unlike a certain firm in whyteleaf

+1 on HM racing :slight_smile:

yep i was going to use HM racing i have used them for stuff before and they are good as gold, many thanks
jim

How about using Banjax to set up your power commander when you get it, better priced then HM racing :wink:

I and others have used them, details in the praise section:

http://londonbikers.com/forums/Topic458571-50-1.aspx

http://londonbikers.com/forums/Topic411603-50-1.aspx

indeed banjax spent 40 mins on your map…

which is 10 mins more than they spent on mine a few years ago…

i took it back to banjax as i was not happy with it and fair play they gave it another shot.

maybe im fussy but i still didnt like it so i took it to HM who spent 2 and a half hours tweeking, with much better results.

im not slagging off banjax there not a bad outfit but theres a fair difference between them and HM who have years of racing experience from club to national level.

if you have a look at the text on the bottom of the map you can see the time from base run to finished map…

cheers chaps, invaluable info

my last two bikes had a pcIII fitted but the most recent one (zx6r) didn’t.
it had too many empty spots and i’d have to rev it to the high ranges to get any sort of accelration say from a standing start.
after i fitted the PC it was transformed! lol its smooth across the entire range and now that i have the full race exhaust system fitted i’ll be taking it to HM(?)

there are alternatives to PC… such as dyno-boost stuff but not sure if u can get it in the UK… and even looking around on forums i found some nice tweeks to gain an extra 8hp for my zx6r.

[quote]
Adz (28/10/2008)

indeed banjax spent 40 mins on your map.
if you have a look at the text on the bottom of the map you can see the time from base run to finished map.

[quote]

Hi Adz,

Yep, that was one of the first things I noticed (time taken to setup map). The bike now runs better then before, being nice and smooth and I posted the map up for everyone to see, if someone thinks they can tweek it better, drop me a PM and i’ll post the differences if they want.

[quote]
Adz (28/10/2008)

maybe im fussy but i still didnt like it so i took it to HM who spent 2 and a half hours tweeking, with much better results.

[quote]

What was the difference between them, i.e. Night and day and did you have to pay the full amount to HM for tweeking it ?

how much does it cost for them to have a look and do a map?? If it is something silly like £500 I might as well get a tracker installed and pass on the PCIII, or install it myself and use the maps from their sites.

Fitting & dyno set up of Power Commander including a custom map £165 + VAT

To book call 01689 856595, or Contact Dyno for more details.

JUST CUT FROM THIER SITE,
will be getting mine done deffo after all the good reviews

[quote]
Adz (28/10/2008)

indeed banjax spent 40 mins on your map…

which is 10 mins more than they spent on mine a few years ago…

i took it back to banjax as i was not happy with it and fair play they gave it another shot.

im not slagging off banjax there not a bad outfit but theres a fair difference between them and HM who have years of racing experience from club to national level.

if you have a look at the text on the bottom of the map you can see the time from base run to finished map.

[quote]

Well, I sent an e-mail with a copy of the print out to dynojet. They asked me to send them a copy of the map, which I did and this is the reply I got.Hi Barry,We have taken a look over the map and compared it to quite a few maps developed here for similar spec 2005 CBR600rr, from our experience the map looks very well written, there are no unexpected numbers and map follows the same trend of other maps. There is certainly nothing to concern us.

Dynojet UK Technical Support.

So if I wanted a map for my Power Commander which has a standard setting map downloaded from the website could I ask Dynojet??

Currently I use the one on the dynojet site or better off getting a custom one done for the bike?

depends on the bike. ralph at SBK city is doing free dyno runs at the mo - run it there and see how it performs then you’ll know if its worth having a custom done

looks like I might have to, hope it won’t rain tomorrow.

if anybody bothered to ask rather than slagging off you would find that that time between runs applies to 100% throttle mapping only what you dont see is the 5% 10% 20% 40% 60% 80% maps that get done after that. we generally do the 100% map first and then work back down, so like i said ask before you type it doesn’t take much.

cheers;)

hm racing are tops:cool: they do all my work on the 660smc

well worth the money.

Top advice. I was there earlier today and my graph seems pretty good so the recommendation is not to bother with a PC. I’m just about to post the graph etc in the “Free Dyno” thread