Positioning in a rode in cold weather

Is it better to be in the middle of your lane where the car engine’s can melt the ice and dry excess water away but you have man hole cover s and chances of black ice. Or ride in the tyre marks but have surface water

Follow the line of car tyres.  It’s generally a lot cleaner as the car tyres are scrubbing the road, and melting ice or frost.  The road underneath car engines is usually found to have the oil leaking from car engines, which is noticed more prominently where cars stop, on approaches to junctions.

Car engines won’t melt ice anywhere as effectively as the friction from tyres.

Thanks

The middle of the road offers a lot more grip than the air lines

I’ve been asking myself the same. In the dark I cant tell if the centre line if frost covered though!

So I guess it’s down to the rider then

Believe it or not, if I deem it safe, my test in the dark is to see if I can wheelspin on the centre line (build up gradually, not straight into max attack). If there traction for an 1100cc motor, it must be dry. Can still be slippy from salt, but not frost.

Believe it or not, if I deem it safe, my test in the dark is to see if I can wheelspin on the centre line (build up gradually, not straight into max attack). If there traction for an 1100cc motor, it must be dry. Can still be slippy from salt, but not frost.
SneakyMcC
that's roughly my theory

as I live in the sticks and leave early & with no street lights for the first 8miles if the middle is all sparkles from the headlight  I tend to stick to the outer tyre routs

that way I have a wider width the slid down the road if it comes to it  

I don’t have the luxury of ABS so I just see how easily the rear wheel will lock up under braking.

I don't have the luxury of ABS so I just see how easily the rear wheel will lock up under braking.
AlexT
I hope you test it before you need it! :D

Whats ABS? :wink:

ABS isn’t a magic cure
It’s an aid that’s all