Please recommend me a bike transport company

Thanks everyone for chiming in. SORTED for now.

Hi all. I just won an auction for a rust bucket on the evil bay, and want to transport it from Plymouth to London. Any suggestions? Would be good to be able to get it to London within the week.

Any suggestions much appreciated, thanks.

I don’t know if they are any good but hope it helps:-

http://www.bldgroup.co.uk/service-repairs/bike-transportation-service.html

Cheers

http://www.shiply.com/ has been recommended a few times here… might want to give them a go. They’re not a transport company but you post an ad (apparently) on here and different companies compete for your business…

I’m guessing this rust bucket is not in roadworthy condition to ride it over? The trip is fairly doable… heck I did it on a SM - it only took 6 hours!

Thanks gentlemen.

The bike is rideable but I have a feeling that it has recharging problems and don’t want to chance that. But for the money, it is worth the little extra investment to bring it to London.

Another things is that the seller wants cash on pock up, or 48h before the bike is picked up. I am wary that the bike may not exisit… though on the other hand I have offered to make part payment and the seller has rejected.

What do you guys think?

Sounds like you may need to rock up in person to look at it with a burly companion;)

Are you volunteering? Can you spare a Sunday, e.g. this Sunday?

Sorry we can’t volunteer a Sunday and are not burly enough really:crying:

LOL Jetstream. No probs. :slight_smile:

Not fussed about the burliness… just a matter of getting there, pay up and haul the pre-Fireblade-“BabyBlade” on a van and away we go. Anyhoo…

I would take someone who knows about bikes with you so that if its a total mess and not as advertised you can say so before parting with your cash.
I have bought off ebay before but luckily Matt spent a while checking it over for me before we left with it on a trailer.
Cant understand why they would want money 48 hours in advance. Seems a tad dodgy unless of course they have had a bad experience themselves in the past.
Plus offering 50% is a lot to hold the bike. I gave the guy £100 through paypal before I collected mine.

**Nonsense (14/11/2011)

Cant understand why they would want money 48 hours in advance. Seems a tad dodgy unless of course they have had a bad experience themselves in the past.

Plus offering 50% is a lot to hold the bike. I gave the guy £100 through paypal before I collected mine. **

This is what I had offered, £100 as deposit, and I offered to cover the paypal costs - but he doesn’t want paypal as it takes a day or two for funds to clear.

I know some people trade in cash and that is how they work - it’s their life and I am not going to get involved. But it is proving slightly tricky to pay cash on pick up when I can’t really be there… :confused:

hmmm well for sure don’t part with a penny before seeing it. if they get the arse just move on. there will be other bikes.

frankly I wouldn’t risk a bike from thiefbay unless I had an expert plus a hpi check done.

old member, mechanic and van owner Adz might be the fella for u depending what he is doing. let me PM u his number.

Hey, thanks Andrew.

The bike looks like it has seen snow, rain, salt, tarmac, clad in odd wheels and mishmash of fairings. Though strangely the HPI is clear, LOL.

For the money I am prepared to buy it and make operational, nothing more. :slight_smile:

Ooosh!!

Brian (The BCR Mop) may collect it for you. If you need his number pm me:)

You could try here: http://www.anyvan.com/cheap-vehicle-delivery/cheap-motorcycle-delivery

I would be wary of buying any bike off e bay - I remember an old Honda 1977 400/4 I decided to bid for in auction in 2007 and ‘won’ (although ‘lost’ would be a more apt expression). Went to the seller in the west country who was a lady like myself - rode the bike round the block and had a nice cup of tea, forked out the cash and got a mate to pick it up. The bike NEVER EVER WORKED AGAIN! I ended up selling it for half what I’d paid out to a guy who wanted a heap of junk as a ‘project’.

So BEWARE. There are plenty of good and cheap bikes out there not on e bay and you get what you pay for, so personally I’d stick with something a little nearer home and less dodgy sounding - unless you are a mechanic of course:):slight_smile:

So what stops that same person putting the same ad on Auto trader or gumtree.

I’ve got all but one vehicle I’ve owned (both cars and bikes) off ebay and TBH just use common sense. You don’t need a mechanic to know if a deal is too good to be true it generally is too good to be true.

Unfortunately I auctioned my common sense on E Bay in exchange for a large woolly scarf and a rizla paper of tea leaves :wink: