petrol prices

i’m sure the debate was as avid before the forementioned rallie as is now. but, suprise, surprise, not enough ppl bothered to sign the bl**dy petition, not to mention actively, physically doing sth…

this is why i’m sceptical.

i still believe we can change things, but this petrol stuff is just a big plan, i wouldn’t say conspiracy 'cos i’d sound silly, and it’s very unlikely to change drastically. remember your £1 ? 30p for BP, 70p for Gordon.

who’s up for a rallie ???

17t ?, whats this?:blush:

a lorry with a big big tank :wink:

My classic trucks which I just drive around the site, not much on road, toys really but also used for work as well…they do around 2-4mpg not clever at 109p per litre…and most of it going to the government to screw us about…

The reason the government is able to muck us about is because people are complacent and dont want to get involved…you cant blame them…most just want an easy life…trouble is thats not easy nowadays with this goverment in power…

Nope, just an Audi with a V8!..and a very big tank:D

:crazy:

I feel so much better now:P

If you don’t use these trucks on the road you could qualify for pink diesel???

used to have an old x reg bmw 635csi. that did about 4-5. a whole lot of fun.

[quote]
ChunkyMonkey (01/01/2008)

No they are 60’s vehicles, all petrol. Well actually they are supposed to be multifuel but if you put more than 40% diesel in they foul the plugs, better to run on petrol but I have found the best way is to run one tank on mix and one on neat petrol…and swap them over regularly…but since each tank holds about 40 gallons and lasts less than about 3 hours just ticking over, well just tootling about it gets painful at the moment…there should be a tax free petrol for this but that doesnt exist…only red diesel…Mind you the one i was using the other day got a leak in one of its tanks and then wasted another load for me, then it blew a gasket on the inlet manifold and leaked all the coolant out and whilst it didnt take long to fix either I now have to get hold of new coolant hoses and other bits and bobs to put her all back together…all good fun but the plan this week was to get the KH500 back on the road…that will have to wait yet again…

Spoke to my mate yesterday and he paid £1.13 a litre at the BP garage in Mill Hill, now that`s what i call expensive.

Simple, Individually all that needs to be done is a boycott against BP and Shell by not using their stations and use for instance Esso and Texaco. This is because Bp and Shell are the price leaders and setters in this country. The government doesn’t care as they quite so take up to 38% of the cost per litre.

Back in October this year when prices began to rocket there was a survey collated; in this survey it proved that if ten (10) people did not use those two (2) service stations and told ten (10) of their friends to do the same, then they told their friends, then you get the picture and by the time this country has told all their friends, family and relations; BP and Shell would be upset and have to drop the tax.

The same as smoking, tgovernmentent will not stop tobacco companies in this country from producing and making huge sales because they inherit 42% of the profit made from your pack of cancer sticks.

That is a fact and i have stopped using BP and Shell.

I pushed up behind a car to fill my Ducati in the summer. There was a orange light flashing on the pump that I couldnt really see cause the car was still there. The fuel cost me £34! It was 102RON race fuel @ £2.34/Ltr. frightfully good job I weren’t in the Audi then, holding 90ltrs I’d have had to leave the car whilst I saved up for the bill!!!:blush:

This is a load of billhooks & I’m constantly amazed by the number of gullible folk that fall for it. :w00t:

So do you really believe that the other oil companies have the spare capacity sitting idle to ship in the extra crude, refine it & transport it to filling stations to make up for the approx 30% shortfall in the fuel market that BP & Shell provide(d) ? :crazy:

OK, just for a moment, let’s imagine that everyone did as you suggest, then far from prices dropping, what would happen is :

1. There’d be queues outside of every other garage.

2. Fuel would be in very short supply - as mentioned by approx 30% .

3. In response to market forces (supply & demand, remember them ? :wink: ), the remaining ‘approved’ suppliers would up their prices substantially.

4. Customers would soon get tired of queueing up to pay a lot more for their fuel (if they’re lucky enough to get some before the garage runs out) & would slink back to BP & Shell with their tails between their legs & pay higher prices than they were before as they’d now be charging the current inflated going rate…

The reality is that these days the prime price setters for fuel are the supermarkets, oil companies make sod all or less from fuel retailing, why else do you think filling stations are being shut down all over the place ?

As for the amount of tax we pay ? That’s what’s called democracy !

At the last election over 65% of the votes cast were for parties (primarily Labour & the Lib Dems) that pledged quite openly in their manifestos to increase public spending, to increase public spending you have to increase tax revenues, so the great British public is simply getting what they asked for in 2005.

Even the Conservatives have now come to realise that they have no chance of getting elected in the near future if they promise to reduce public expenditure & have since dropped that commitment.

So if people want to complain, find someone that voted for a ‘tax & spend’ party & thank them. :hehe:

Oh & before anyone says that it’s not their fault as they didn’t vote at all, then you simply made the decision that you didn’t care & were perfectly happy to go along with the wishes of the majority ! :stuck_out_tongue:

Too right, and is why all remaining petrol retailers are selling high-volume stuff to support their fuel revenues… which is why as a result you can’t find oil, bulbs or fuses in your local petrol station because the shelves are full of cat food and washing powder.

A number of petrol stations near me have closed in recent years, as customers buy their fuel at Sainsbury’s instead. I’ve never been convinced by the argument that Shell’s fuel (for example) is somehow “better” than Sainsbury’s but I try to buy from my local petrol station as much as possible to help support local business. Otherwise they’ll just close and the local high street will get yet another toy-town apartment development or at worst a derelict empty site.

The price of fuel in the UK is a complicated business and it changes month to month as the cost of crude oil rises and falls with international demand. British drivers also pay two taxes on the petrol they buy at the pump: Fuel Duty and VAT. Of these, fuel duty remains by far the most significant - and remains the most controversial. Fuel Duty If a litre of unleaded petrol costs 85p, 21.7p will be the production costs and profit, around 51p will be duty and 12.5p will be VAT on top of all that.
According to figures released with the 2000 Budget, the Government forecasts that fuel duties will continue to rise rapidly from a £21.6bn in the 1998-99 financial year to £23.3bn by the end of the 2000-01 financial year. It’s a lot of tax, but the Institute of Fiscal Studies, an independent think tank, says that the large rises in fuel duty began as far back as 1979. Fuel Escalator The major change in petrol taxation came under the Conservatives in 1993 with the introduction of the Fuel Price Escalator. The escalator was designed as a means both to raise money and discourage car use on environmental grounds. At the time, British fuel was the third-cheapest in Europe. It is now the most expensive. The annual fuel escalator was set in 1993 at 3% above the rate of inflation. On its introduction it added three pence to a litre of fuel and raised the tax burden on unleaded petrol to 72.8% of the total cost. When the Conservatives left office in 1997, the escalator was at 5% and had contributed a 11.1 pence rise to the cost of unleaded fuel. Tax as a proportion of total cost stood at 76.3%. Labour’s record On taking office, the new chancellor Gordon Brown increased the fuel escalator further and put three pence onto a litre of petrol in his first Budget. That pushed taxes up to 81.5% of the total price of fuel. While duty rose by two pence a litre as part of the 2000 Budget, Gordon Brown also scrapped the fuel price escalator, saying that future increases would be decided on the basis of the “due Budget process”. At the time, and perhaps rather ironically given current events, the AA said that it was the first budget in seven years in which “drivers can take some heart”. According to the Tories this isn’t good enough. They say that since Labour came to office, the petrol pump price of unleaded petrol has risen by around 71%. And while there have been large jumps in the price of oil, the party blames what it says is Labour’s 16p per litre rise in taxes. Figures from the Institute of Fiscal Studies tell a slightly different story. The Conservative figure of 16p per litre is a combination of duty and VAT. While the actual amount brought in by VAT rises with increases in fuel prices and duty, it is calculated at the same 17.5% level which the present government inherited from the Conservatives. VAT campaigning Fuel campaigners argue that VAT should only be calculated on the cost of the fuel rather than on the fuel and the duty together. If VAT was not charged on the duty, the motorist would save around 8p per litre at September 2000 prices. None of the parties appear to support that move. Leaving aside VAT, fuel duty increases under Labour amount to 12 pence per litre - just slightly more than the rise caused by the escalator under the Conservatives. Because of the rise in world oil prices, the proportion of the total fuel cost that is tax has fallen from 85% (March 1998) to 72.3% today - still one of the highest levels in the world - something that ministers have sought to stress in interviews. With the Tories pledging a three pence a litre cut should they come to power, the question is whether the Government should cut fuel duty - and whether the country can afford it.

"Philip Hollsworth offered this good idea:

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the 'don’t buy petrol on a certain day campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn’t continue to hurt ourselves by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work. Please read it and join in!

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the market place not sellers. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not purchasing their Petrol!

And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. Here’s the idea: For the rest of this year DON’T purchase ANY petrol from the two biggest oil companies (which now are one), ESSO and BP. If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact we need to reach literally millions of Esso and BP petrol buyers. It’s really simple to do!!

PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE 69p a LITRE RANGE

It’s easy to make this happen. Just send this message in an email, and buy your petrol at Shell, Asda,Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons Jet etc. I.e.

boycott BP and Esso"

We are going to hit close to 89p a litre by the summer. Want petrol prices to come down? We need to take some intelligent, united action.

British for British.

Philip Hollsworth offered this good idea:

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the “don’t buy petrol on a certain
day” campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies
just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn’t continue to hurt
ourselves by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience
to us than it was a problem for them.
BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can
really work. Please read it and join in!
Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us
to think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP at 77p -80p, we need to
take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the
market place not sellers. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers
need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of
petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not
purchasing their Petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting
ourselves.

Here’s the idea:
For the rest of this year, DON’T purchase ANY petrol from the two
biggest oil companies (which now are one), ESSO and BP. If they are
not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If
they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow
suit.

But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Esso
and BP petrol buyers. It’s really simple to do!! Now, don’t whimp
out on me at this point…keep reading and I’ll explain how simple it is to reach
millions of people!!
I am sending this note to a; lot of people. If each of you send it
to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)… and those 300 send it to at
least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) … and so on, by the time the message
reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE
MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and pass this on to
ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted!
If it goes one level further, you guessed it… … THREE HUNDRED
MILLION PEOPLE!!! Again,all You have to do is send this to 10
people. That’s all.(and not buy at ESSO/BP) How long would all that
take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of
receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8
days!!! I’ll bet you didn’t think you and I had that much potential,
did you! Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes
sense to you, please pass this message on.

PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER
THEIR PRICES TO THE 69p a LITRE RANGE
Action:
It’s easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and buy
your petrol at Shell, Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons (75p)Jet etc.
i.e.
boycott
BP and Esso.

Not here to make enemies.

Not here to be told that the intelligence i supplied is

‘a load of billhooks’

or seen by an individual that believes that everyone apart from themselves are

‘gullible folk’.

The fact is that everyone talks about standing up and coming together and having a sense of unity!

But unless you yourself have belief, follow that belief and join those who are already making progress against this tax haven then it is you that doesn’t have a say in this blessed country.

If you dont belive then you leave your front door open to the missery that is gripping this country through:

Borrowing, Lending, Debt Consolidation, Rising Council Tax, Rising Vat, Rising Income Tax and Political Correctness. More benefit for the assylum an not my dear old granny freezing her frupenny bits off because the government are scared of europe becuase the great british people let them take us into the community. And we are the only country in that community that follows its rules.

Government for imigration not the good old British citizen.

Ref: As for the amount of tax we pay ? That’s what’s called democracy !

You dont decide your tax, aristocratic influence decides this and that is not democracy.

This country stopped being a democratic country when the consevative party were voted out and Labour opened the boards of this country to assylum seekers, immigration and free loading thieves.

British foAs for the amount of tax we pay ? That’s what’s called democracy !
r the British

I’ll stay out of the debate on politics thanks but honestly, who do you think is punished by boycotting certain fuel brands? By your own analysis, the retailer takes around 5% of the pump price but he’s the one taking 100% of the hit if you boycott him.

Many smaller sites are franchises, so you’re not punishing Shell or whoever but the bloke who runs the franchise and the people that work for him.

The government and the oil companies still get their money as you buy fuel elsewhere; if you buy it from the supermarket chains you’re still buying from a major oil company: Tesco don’t have their own refineries and storage depots.

****** to it all i say…no matter wot you do…yer still gonna be bent over and ur pants will hit the deck…better pukker up!!:w00t:

the only way to stop this is

a)set fire to petrol stations

b)major looting of petrol…

c)the masses of ppl sit in front of parliament with poxy signs singing John Lennon songs…

or d)…PRESSURE GORDON TWAT TO CALL A GENERAL ELECTION AND GET THIS BLEEP PARTY OUT ASAP!!!

UKIP is the way im voting…:wink:

smiled:D.

Nah just make your own fuel:

Cooking oil, bicarb of soda, Nando’s Peri-Peri sauce, egg (for catalytic converter smellorama effect).

I admit this formula is still a work in progress :smiley: