Petrol... I don't get it

What’s the difference between all the different petrol…?

I always put in either BP Ultimate (98 Ron) or Shell VPower (99 Ron) and never the cheap supermarket stuff (95 Ron) - I don’t know why I just presume it’s better… but what’s the actual difference (other than the 10p per litre more?) am I just wasting my money… what’s the point?

m

Not 100% sure, but I think the higher ion is better for the engine and increases performance.

It is only really noticable on BHP on high performance engines. I know this is the case for cars, and therefore probably similar for bikes. ie Golf R32 / Civic Type R performs better on the higher ion fuel. But others like the 1.4 206, the different fuel probably doesnt make that much difference.

Actual every day riding is probably not noticable, but I think it may also improve economy slightly, again, probably not noticable, and probably not worth the extra 10p per litre?

I mix between the ions on my bike as in theory, it is more of a high performance engine as it revs higher than my car, having said that, that is a GTI engine and could probably do with the higher ion, but as I dont rev the nuts off it, probably not required.

Ever feel like you’re talking round in cirlces, not really making much sense, and probably confusing all the readers?

I do notice the different on the SV, and I always tend to use the higher octane stuff, even though it’s a tad more expensive…helps with the carb icing you see

i ‘think’ I can tell the difference between the 95 and the 99 on the CBF, certainly at lower speeds the pick up seems better… but what’s all this nonsense about it cleaning you engine?

m

I dont think that is the ion that does that, I think that is an additive that some co’s are putting in their fuel. Who knows whether it is a gimick. After all, they only need to prove that it “cleans” the minimalist amount to be able to make that claim.

octane actually makes the fuel less combustable as it happens. its to make it burn in a more controlled way rather than explode

if your engine is specifically designed and set up for high ron fuel (e.g. very high compression and corresponding mapping) you’ll get more bhp. some cars and bikes have auto sensors for the ron rating and adjust to it but think that most dont and effectively just adding octane wont make much odds. its also only really at max power/rpm that’ll you’ll really see a diff.

think that most UK spec machines are set to run on 95 ron as thats the most common. i can’t use all the power the r1 has, let along chasing a couple extra bhp on petrol grade

Pretty much what I said but in a more eloquent and scientific manner.

Cheers bud

lol - cheers for that… just had a gander at my manual and it says that I should use 98ron… so I guess I should stick with the BP Ultimate!

It’s all a huge consiracy!!! Manuals are produced by oil companies to get you to pay for the more expensive fuels!

True, but there is certainly something to be said for using higher quality fuel. Higher RON number higher quality, lower RON leaves more trace and carbon behind from combustion…knackers engine quicker…in relative terms…The Toby-1-Kenobi estimates put 95 Ron at - engine last 5 minutes, 98 Ron at - engine lasts forveer (was that right Mr Shell…yeah, 500,000 numbered Swiss bank account 22-345-6-7-89, ta)

I notice no difference at all between the cheapest and most expensive, so just buy the cheapest. Some claim more MPG when using a higher RON which is a very good reason to use considering our small tanks, but I’m not sold, I think it’s all in the head.

i am just about to leave the office and go on an almightly bender

I could pop round tomorrow and pee in your tank as i am sure it will go for miles on what i will be producing.

that maintenance course is paying dividends already.

Great! Super fuel - the bike will run like a jet engine I’m sure!

naa he just read it out of a book! He has no idea what any of it means :slight_smile: But ask him to take a pair of forks off and he’s your man!

is almighty bender this dude’s dad?

http://londonbikers.com/forums/userinfo.aspx?id=938

Oi, Kenobi, redo my seals.

The force is weak with this one!

JUST A THOUGHT FOR YA ALL, IF YOU USE THE EXPENSIVE UNLEADED YOU WILL PAY ABOUT £2.00 MORE PER TANK, THAT MEANS ON AVERAGE YOU WILL SPEND ABOUT £100 EXTRA ON FUEL PER YEAR. OR YOU CAN GET A DERISTRICTOR FOR £30 WHICH WILL MAKE A HELL LOAD OF DIFFERENCE COMPARED TO USING MORE EXPENSIVE FUEL WHICH ACCORDING TO RIDE MAG (I THINK IT WAS RIDE) DOESN’T REALLY ADD ANYTHING TO THE PERFORMANCE!!!

JUST A THOUGHT

cool - what’s a derestrictor and how does it work?

I thought my bike was de-restricted…?

m